Importer of Joh Jos Prum. How to buy on release?

Hello all. newhere I am fairly new to international wine and have typically bought most of my wine via online/wine store/commercial purchases. I have an allocation at Aubert and Ridge, but they are domestic. I was wondering how one purchases international wines at release (I live in the US). I have never really dealt with this topic. I have really enjoyed all of JJ Prum wines that I have tried and I have purchased about 30 bottles of back vintages to get started. However, I wanted to start purchasing at release. This time around I used JJ Buckley as they have a wide range of 2018 JJ Prum wines. My question is probably a very silly one to many of the people who have been into wine awhile, but I thought I would ask anyways: Is there a importer or distributor that sells Joh Jos Prum or should I just stick to buying via websites? There aren’t any local places here in Indiana that know much about these wines so I thought I would use the wisdom of the wine berserkers. I checked the JJ Prum “website”, but there isn’t much there. I found a place in Oregon that gets a decent amount of new stuff, but they don’t ship to Indiana. If the question is a stupid one feel free to brutal as you would like :slight_smile:. Thanks for the help everyone.

Prum used to have two US official importers, Rudi Wiest and Valckenberg. Wiest’s web site isn’t up, so I don’t know if they still have Prum or not. But you don’t normally buy wine directly from the importer. They have distributors in various states and then the distributors sell to retailers and restaurants. Your best bet is finding a retailer near you who carries the wines. The new releases are not hard to find, just check Wine Searcher…I’m sure there have to be places in the Midwest or East Coast that will ship to you.

That’s basically what I thought through my “research”. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for your help Marshall. Unfortunately we don’t have any great retailer near me in Indiana that I have found yet. I am sure there will be something in the Chicago area or Cincinnati.

The short answer for wines like Prum the cost and hassle to import directly is not worth it in comparison to just buying from a retailer in the U.S.

I’ve been looking for Emrich-Schönleber upon release every year and seem to strike out all the time. I used to sell the their wine for a distributor years back, but have the hardest time finding any new releases. Probably my favorite Riesling producer.

Yeah that is what I thought the answer would be Robert. I just hoped there was some secret I hadn’t been told yet :grinning:.

That stinks Gabe. This is why we need a direct to consumer importer/distributor. However, as Robert said it’s likely just not financially feasible.

I like Prum’s stuff, but I have resigned to just get it when my local wine guy gets it in his store. Sadly not as often as I’d like :frowning:

I used to find the Himmelreich/Wehlener Kab pretty easily at local stores, but in the past two years or so, the supply has dried up significantly. Dunno why.

Just did a search and found this earlier thread about Rudi Wiest going bankrupt, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s more difficult to get German wines in the US until someone else picks up the slack:

Gavin, it shouldn’t be too hard to find JJ Prum from retailers in the U.S. and as others have said, it’s too much of a hassle to try to get around the three-tier system to get their wines.

I know you’re new in your wine journey, particularly with riesling, but don’t forget there are other producers to try as well :slight_smile:

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/joh+jos+prum/1/usa-id-y

I have had decent success finding it online, I was just wondering if there was a more direct way. Must vintages are definitely available for a price.

I definitely need to taste more from different producers. I get a little ocd when I like something. I wanted to back fill my collection JJ prum to start bc I know I enjoy it and have somewhat limited funds. You are 100% correct that I need to try other producers. I plan on trying to find a tasting event or join a group locally. I am early in the journey so I have a lot to learn. Everyone has been super helpful on here. There are several you mentioned on a prior topic and/or pm that I plan on picking up a half bottle and trying. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

This, and while there is a ton to love about JJ, there are many others to indulge, from the “other” Prüm, Keller, Müller, Dönnhoff… taste often and long.

Is Salil reading this board anymore?

If anyone has figured out how to buy JJ Prum in Indiana I’m sure it would be him.

They are certainly worth the price but if you want to buy it directly from them, I would suggest going to Germany when and if we are allowed back.

Another user also recommended I speak to him. I wrote him a PM, but he hasn’t responded yet. I would love to meet him.

Lawrence- I would absolutely love to do that. I do plan on visiting the Mosel area of Germany once the kiddos are a bit older and I will definitely be coming home with plenty of vino from multiple producers there. I have a feeling the majority might by JJ, but time will tell where my palate goes.

JJ Prum is great but don’t ignore other producers. The Mosel is blessed with an extraordinary number of top flight sites and growers. While JJ is about as good as it gets, there are others that are as good in a variety of styles.

Prum’s wines are very widely available, and the sort-of successor to Wiest’s company, The German Wine Co., is importing and distributing Prum in California: Portfolio - The GWC

FYI, in most states, importers and distributors can’t sell to consumers. Only retailers can.

Where are you located Gabe? On the east coast, at least, I believe Sussex still brings some in for Moore Brothers, which doesn’t show up on Wine Searcher. They don’t bring in a lot of the high level stuff, but they usually get some. Emrich-Schonleber is second only to Keller in our cellar and our hearts (and sometimes not even there).