Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15742
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#51 Post by Craig G » June 24th, 2020, 7:45 pm

There are many things I haven’t had but La Tâche is the main one I really would like to try.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 23441
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#52 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 24th, 2020, 7:56 pm

Greg K wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 7:42 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 6:42 pm
Some wines that really move me are distinct and quirky. Juge is that. It’s a unicorn now, and I’m lucky to have stumbled on it before the run-up, but if you can find it, it’s worth every penny of what you will pay today. It’s singular.
Robert, you appeared to have misspelled Allemand Sans Soufre. It’s not spelled “Juge”.
Rats. I meant to say,”Yuuuge”.

[cheers.gif]

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Sean S y d n e y
Posts: 655
Joined: March 1st, 2020, 3:20 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#53 Post by Sean S y d n e y » June 24th, 2020, 8:10 pm

I've never had Grand Cru Burgundy older than about 2012, and that was twice, two sips total.
I've never had a glass of a First Growth; one ounce of 2000 Latour and a tiny sip of 1994 Latour are my only tastes.
I've never had a wine older than 1982.
I've never had a wine from my birth year that wasn't a PX sherry (admittedly, a terrible to mediocre year almost everywhere around the world).
I've never had any California Cabernet from a bottle worth more than $100 (though I have one bottle of 2014 Mount Eden, it was about $100 CAD).
I've never had aged ( >10 years ) Riesling.

I have a lot to catch up on.
Instagram: @seansydney

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13513
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#54 Post by J a y H a c k » June 24th, 2020, 8:13 pm

I have never had . . .

Petrus
Le Pin
DRC (any)
Jayer
Comte de Vogue Musigny
Red Label Giacosa
Jean-Louis Chave Ermitage Cuvée Cathelin
Screaming Eagle

On the other hand, in my cellar I have lots of

Scarecrow
SQN Next of Kyn

So if you want to open bottles to reduce your list, I will put up a Scarecrow from the vintage of your choice back to 2005 or any of the last 4 or 5 years or so of NOK if you will put up one of my missing wines.

In the spirit of the brotherhood of wine drinkers, I will not respond with ". . . a good Loire Cab Franc."
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1191
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#55 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 24th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Craig G wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 7:45 pm
There are many things I haven’t had but La Tâche is the main one I really would like to try.
I've only had La Tâche once, and it was with eggs. For breakfast.

User avatar
B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4269
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Location: Calif.

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#56 Post by B. Buzzini » June 24th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Selosse
Goodfellow
Added...
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3298
Joined: January 30th, 2012, 9:22 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#57 Post by Mike Evans » June 24th, 2020, 8:22 pm

From a combination of getting into wine when I was just 22 back in 1993 and, more important, being fortunate enough to have been able to drink with many extraordinarily generous people, there are very few wines that have been mentioned that I haven’t been able to try. The only three wines I can think of that I haven’t been able to experience that I’d really like to try are well-aged DRC RC and Montrachet and 1971 Giacosa red label.

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13513
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#58 Post by J a y H a c k » June 24th, 2020, 8:25 pm

If things fall into place just right, but I can't give more details because I do not want to have this thread moved, on January 22-24, 2021, the first weekend after January 20, 2021, if we are out of COVID jail and can meet at a restaurant in NYC that serves good steak, I will personally fill the holes in some of your experiences with a celebration including Scarecrow, SQN, NOK, 1908 Madeira and some other fun stuff.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1191
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#59 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 24th, 2020, 8:35 pm

In my original response, I took the spirit of the question to be "things I've never had that I am surprised I've never had," hence Heitz Martha's being the only thing I can think of.

Since we seemed to have moved on more to "wines I'd really love to try that I've never had," my list would look something more like this, none of which are much of a surprise given their rarity and/or cost, and my wine budget -

Chave Cathelin
Beaucastel Hommage
DRC RC, Richebourg, or RSV
Musigny
Le Montrachet
Jayer anything
Rousseau Chambertin or Beze
Any Roumier Grand Cru
Any Coche blanc
Monfortino
Petrus
Unico
Rayas CdP rouge
Krug Rose and any of the Krug special cuvees
Tokaji Essencia
Chave vin de paille
Any dry wine older than 1945 (a 1928-1929 mini-vertical of a great Bdx château would probably be first on my wish-list)
1945 Mouton
1961 and 1978 La Chapelle
Any 1959 or 1961 First Growth
1947 Cheval Blanc
1900 Margaux
1811 Yquem
1985 Gentaz
1985 Sassicaia
1975 LMHB
1941 Inglenook
1969 Chappellet
1982 Gruaud
1966 Palmer (birth-year and reputed to be the WotV)

I have a handful of the above in the cellar so I will try one at some point when the time is right. But as I also said in my original response, there's plenty of great wine out there, and if I never have the Yquem of the comet or most of these other gems, well, that will be just fine.
Last edited by D@ve D y r 0 f f on June 25th, 2020, 9:39 am, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4269
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Location: Calif.

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#60 Post by B. Buzzini » June 24th, 2020, 8:40 pm

I’ll drink double to those who have had Faiveley/Roumier Moose...Leflaive Monty! [drinkers.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

User avatar
Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 387
Joined: April 24th, 2020, 11:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#61 Post by Andrew K. » June 24th, 2020, 8:45 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 6:45 pm
Other than the virtually unobtainable (e.g, DRC RC)
RC is very obtainable. Just have to write the check. Virtually unobtainable would be a 1971 Prum WS Trockenbeerenauslese. And would cost much less if you could obtain it.
к𝓁ย𝐠

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20725
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#62 Post by Alan Rath » June 24th, 2020, 9:11 pm

Craig G wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 7:45 pm
There are many things I haven’t had but La Tâche is the main one I really would like to try.
Yes you have. Remember that Beef Bourguignon I made?
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15742
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#63 Post by Craig G » June 24th, 2020, 9:20 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 8:16 pm
Craig G wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 7:45 pm
There are many things I haven’t had but La Tâche is the main one I really would like to try.
I've only had La Tâche once, and it was with eggs. For breakfast.
I’m available for breakfast.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20725
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#64 Post by Alan Rath » June 24th, 2020, 9:20 pm

Craig G wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 7:45 pm
There are many things I haven’t had but La Tâche is the main one I really would like to try.
Interesting to think about this question. There aren’t so many wines I feel like I need to try to complete my wine travels, but this is at the top of my list as well.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1191
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#65 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 24th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Craig G wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 9:20 pm
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 8:16 pm
Craig G wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 7:45 pm
There are many things I haven’t had but La Tâche is the main one I really would like to try.
I've only had La Tâche once, and it was with eggs. For breakfast.
I’m available for breakfast.
No kidding. I was a guest at the home of an unbelievably generous host, who used to be a wine board guy way back when. He opened tons of wine all day and night on Saturday for his birthday party, for probably 3 dozen of us. I was only able to be there since I had to fly in anyway for business that same week. Knowing his generosity, we all chipped in and bought him a big bottle (5L?) of Yquem, signed by everyone with one of those gold paint pens. Crazy days.

Anyway, he invited the out of towners, including me, to stumble in as best we could for Sunday breakfast/brunch, and there it was. It was the 1991, and this was probably 1996, give or take a year or two. So not the biggest pour because there were several of us, and not the best or most mature vintage, but still. La Tâche. With eggs. For breakfast. [cheers.gif]

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3665
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#66 Post by RyanC » June 24th, 2020, 9:47 pm

Fun thread. I've been fortunate to have tried many of the wines on these lists. Some that have eluded me, which I'd love to try, include:

d'Auvenay (anything)
Roumier Musigny or BM
Faiveley Musigny
Coche Perrieres or CC
Ramonet or Lafon Monty (but I've had Leflaive and DRC)
Jayer
Gentaz
Petrus
Giacosa Red Label
a well-aged La La (I'm generally not a La La fan but would love to try one from the 70s)
Keller G-Max
Last edited by RyanC on June 25th, 2020, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
C@ughey

User avatar
B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4269
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Location: Calif.

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#67 Post by B. Buzzini » June 24th, 2020, 9:58 pm

RyanC wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 9:47 pm
Fun thread. I've been fortunate to have tried many of the wines on these lists. Some that have eluded me, which I'd love to try, include:

d'Auvenay (anything)
Roumier Musigny or BM
Faiveley Musigny
Coche Perrieres or CC
Roumier or Lafon Monty (but I've had Leflaive)
Jayer
Gentaz
Petrus
Giacosa Red Label
a well-aged La La
Roumier Monty??? I’ll drink to that!
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3665
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#68 Post by RyanC » June 24th, 2020, 10:19 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 9:58 pm
RyanC wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 9:47 pm
Fun thread. I've been fortunate to have tried many of the wines on these lists. Some that have eluded me, which I'd love to try, include:

d'Auvenay (anything)
Roumier Musigny or BM
Faiveley Musigny
Coche Perrieres or CC
Roumier or Lafon Monty (but I've had Leflaive)
Jayer
Gentaz
Petrus
Giacosa Red Label
a well-aged La La
Roumier Monty??? I’ll drink to that!
Ha! Meant Ramonet
C@ughey

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#69 Post by Robert Dentice » June 25th, 2020, 3:56 am

Andrew K. wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 8:45 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 6:45 pm
Other than the virtually unobtainable (e.g, DRC RC)
RC is very obtainable. Just have to write the check. Virtually unobtainable would be a 1971 Prum WS Trockenbeerenauslese. And would cost much less if you could obtain it.
I usually bring one every year to Rieslingfeier so if it ever happens again please come! Katarina was there this year so I brought a 59 & 71. She said it was only the 2 time she had the 59.


User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18867
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#70 Post by Howard Cooper » June 25th, 2020, 4:10 am

Larry Stein wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 7:26 pm
Being an elder POS (66), I've had pretty much every European wine mentioned above except Krug CdAmbonnay. The only one that comes to mind that I've never had is Bartolo Mascarello Barolo. Given that I've been drinking/tasting seriously for 40+ years, I might have and just don't remember!

I've never had any of the cult Napa Cabs: SE, Harlan, etc. Can't say I have any desire to try them unless someone opened a bottle.

I've never had '51 or 58 BV Reserve, or '41 Inglenook Cab (I have held a bottle). 60s vintages of those? Plenty.

Regarding the Jayer comments, y'all really don't want to know what I paid for them. I used to own different wines from the 1978-81 vintages. I drank them, none left.
It is very interesting how different things are today by age. Wine prices have shot up so much that the top wines are now virtually unaffordable to so many people. It did not use to be that way. As late as the 1990 vintage, first growths could be had on futures for about $60 a bottle. In the 1980s, I bought 1984 Ridge Montebello for $20 and 1980 DRC Grands Echezeaux for $35.

And, in the early 1980s, I was able to attend a preview tasting for a Heublein wine auction by buying the catalog for $35. At that preview tasting, I got to check off many of the boxes people are missing today in one swoop - wines being tasted included a 1959 Petrus, 1945 Comte de Vogue Musigny, 1940 la Tache, Yquem from the 20s, Chambertin from the 30s, 68 BV Reserve and Inglenook Cask, Tokaji Essencia from the 1950s, etc., etc., etc. Very different world.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 36324
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#71 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 25th, 2020, 4:18 am

Andrew K. wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 8:45 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 6:45 pm
Other than the virtually unobtainable (e.g, DRC RC)
RC is very obtainable. Just have to write the check. Virtually unobtainable would be a 1971 Prum WS Trockenbeerenauslese. And would cost much less if you could obtain it.
Virtually unobtainable takes price into account. Writing that check would in fact ensure my own death.

Not a TBA fan.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3094
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#72 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 25th, 2020, 4:40 am

There are a few crazy rare and high end wines I've never had, just like most people, but the only one that grates on me is that I've never had even one correct sip of DRC RC. The hard part is that I've had a number of sips! Every bottle I've been poured was either madeirized or corked.

Here are a couple of fun nevers unrelated to rare/pricey wine:

I've never used a Durand (combo of ah-so and waiter's key works for me)
I've never had a Coravined wine.
I've never mistaken a CA chardonnay for white Burgundy.
I've never found a muscadet interesting or compelling enough to purchase.
I've never liked a red wine better on Day 2.

That last one could be more of an "almost never" thing, so let's say that as far as I recall.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18867
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#73 Post by Howard Cooper » June 25th, 2020, 4:53 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:40 am
There are a few crazy rare and high end wines I've never had, just like most people, but the only one that grates on me is that I've never had even one correct sip of DRC RC. The hard part is that I've had a number of sips! Every bottle I've been poured was either madeirized or corked.

Here are a couple of fun nevers unrelated to rare/pricey wine:

I've never used a Durand (combo of ah-so and waiter's key works for me)
I've never had a Coravined wine.
I've never mistaken a CA chardonnay for white Burgundy.
I've never found a muscadet interesting or compelling enough to purchase.
I've never liked a red wine better on Day 2.

That last one could be more of an "almost never" thing, so let's say that as far as I recall.
I love my Durand. Best wine gadget I have ever purchased. Great for old wines.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 387
Joined: April 24th, 2020, 11:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#74 Post by Andrew K. » June 25th, 2020, 5:28 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 3:56 am
I usually bring one every year to Rieslingfeier so if it ever happens again please come! Katarina was there this year so I brought a 59 & 71. She said it was only the 2 time she had the 59.

[winner.gif]

Count me in!
к𝓁ย𝐠

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 23441
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#75 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 25th, 2020, 5:42 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:53 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:40 am
There are a few crazy rare and high end wines I've never had, just like most people, but the only one that grates on me is that I've never had even one correct sip of DRC RC. The hard part is that I've had a number of sips! Every bottle I've been poured was either madeirized or corked.

Here are a couple of fun nevers unrelated to rare/pricey wine:

I've never used a Durand (combo of ah-so and waiter's key works for me)
I've never had a Coravined wine.
I've never mistaken a CA chardonnay for white Burgundy.
I've never found a muscadet interesting or compelling enough to purchase.
I've never liked a red wine better on Day 2.

That last one could be more of an "almost never" thing, so let's say that as far as I recall.
I love my Durand.

Great for old wines.
This.

I was skeptical at first, but it works beautifully.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3094
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#76 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 25th, 2020, 5:51 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:53 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:40 am
There are a few crazy rare and high end wines I've never had, just like most people, but the only one that grates on me is that I've never had even one correct sip of DRC RC. The hard part is that I've had a number of sips! Every bottle I've been poured was either madeirized or corked.

Here are a couple of fun nevers unrelated to rare/pricey wine:

I've never used a Durand (combo of ah-so and waiter's key works for me)
I've never had a Coravined wine.
I've never mistaken a CA chardonnay for white Burgundy.
I've never found a muscadet interesting or compelling enough to purchase.
I've never liked a red wine better on Day 2.

That last one could be more of an "almost never" thing, so let's say that as far as I recall.
I love my Durand. Best wine gadget I have ever purchased. Great for old wines.
Yeah, I know. I've heard it a million times. Lots of people love them. I admit it's a clever little gadget with snazzy packaging and works. It irks me that it costs so much when the combo of ah-so and cork screw does the same thing, just as well, for a couple of bucks. Plus, my screw pulls have longer worms, which can be preferable. We went head-to-head with a Durand once on a bunch of old bottles with a friend who insisted I needed one. After pulling all the corks, he admitted it's not really any better, just "nicer."
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 36324
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#77 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 25th, 2020, 5:58 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 5:51 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:53 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:40 am
There are a few crazy rare and high end wines I've never had, just like most people, but the only one that grates on me is that I've never had even one correct sip of DRC RC. The hard part is that I've had a number of sips! Every bottle I've been poured was either madeirized or corked.

Here are a couple of fun nevers unrelated to rare/pricey wine:

I've never used a Durand (combo of ah-so and waiter's key works for me)
I've never had a Coravined wine.
I've never mistaken a CA chardonnay for white Burgundy.
I've never found a muscadet interesting or compelling enough to purchase.
I've never liked a red wine better on Day 2.

That last one could be more of an "almost never" thing, so let's say that as far as I recall.
I love my Durand. Best wine gadget I have ever purchased. Great for old wines.
Yeah, I know. I've heard it a million times. Lots of people love them. I admit it's a clever little gadget with snazzy packaging and works. It irks me that it costs so much when the combo of ah-so and cork screw does the same thing, just as well, for a couple of bucks. Plus, my screw pulls have longer worms, which can be preferable. We went head-to-head with a Durand once on a bunch of old bottles with a friend who insisted I needed one. After pulling all the corks, he admitted it's not really any better, just "nicer."
For a long time, before I received a Durand for Christmas, I carried an Ah-So and the work portion of an old Screwpull. Not quite as easy to use as the Durand, but the results were equally as good.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18867
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#78 Post by Howard Cooper » June 25th, 2020, 6:06 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 5:51 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:53 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:40 am
There are a few crazy rare and high end wines I've never had, just like most people, but the only one that grates on me is that I've never had even one correct sip of DRC RC. The hard part is that I've had a number of sips! Every bottle I've been poured was either madeirized or corked.

Here are a couple of fun nevers unrelated to rare/pricey wine:

I've never used a Durand (combo of ah-so and waiter's key works for me)
I've never had a Coravined wine.
I've never mistaken a CA chardonnay for white Burgundy.
I've never found a muscadet interesting or compelling enough to purchase.
I've never liked a red wine better on Day 2.

That last one could be more of an "almost never" thing, so let's say that as far as I recall.
I love my Durand. Best wine gadget I have ever purchased. Great for old wines.
Yeah, I know. I've heard it a million times. Lots of people love them. I admit it's a clever little gadget with snazzy packaging and works. It irks me that it costs so much when the combo of ah-so and cork screw does the same thing, just as well, for a couple of bucks. Plus, my screw pulls have longer worms, which can be preferable. We went head-to-head with a Durand once on a bunch of old bottles with a friend who insisted I needed one. After pulling all the corks, he admitted it's not really any better, just "nicer."
The Durand is just so much easier to use.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Gerhard P.
Posts: 5007
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#79 Post by Gerhard P. » June 25th, 2020, 6:29 am

...
Jayer Cros Parantoux...
1961 Latour a Pomerol,
1961 La Chapelle
red Rayas older than 1970 ...
1945 Romanee-Conti ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1191
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#80 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 25th, 2020, 7:01 am

Who was the winemaker who did Sarah's trick on a video tasting? I can't remember if it was a Berserkers-hosted event, or Vinous, or what, but he did the combo ah-so and waiter's, and all of us who'd spent $100 on a Durand did a collective face-palm.

But I do love my Durand and just try to put what I paid for it out of my mind.

User avatar
Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11059
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Location: OC, CA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#81 Post by Cris Whetstone » June 25th, 2020, 7:56 am

I couldn't pull the trigger on a Durand. So I requested one as a gift. It works beautifully. Sure you can juggle an ah-so and regular corkscrew but it's a hassle.

I'll always remember people spending lots of Lagiuole corkscrews. More than Durand's are. And they work much worse. Worse than many cheap corkscrews.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1890
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#82 Post by Larry Stein » June 25th, 2020, 8:33 am

Cris Whetstone wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 7:56 am
I couldn't pull the trigger on a Durand. So I requested one as a gift. It works beautifully. Sure you can juggle an ah-so and regular corkscrew but it's a hassle.
Exactly. IMO, this is one of the VERY few wine tools that's worth the hype.

And to continue this thread, I've never owned a fancy/shmancy decanter. I currently use a 1000ml boiling flask. I also don't own a Coravin and have no desire to have one.

User avatar
Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 392
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Location: Just outside of Philly

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#83 Post by Br1an Th0rne » June 25th, 2020, 8:36 am

For the Durand, I'd wager 95% of the time I just use the ah-so component. If I experience the slightest bit of difficulty, then I'll bring on the corkscrew part. The last bottle I used it on was over 6 months ago, with a stubborn '85 Haut Brion.

I got a coravin last week as part of Anotonio Galloni's Vinous Learn "Napa Cabs" package. For just my wife and I, it's come in handy as we can now do tastings of several bottles at a time. We're doing a Last Bottle Pinot blind taste off this evening of the 6 different Pinot Noir's we've bought from them during the stay at home. I'm digging it so far, but wouldn't have bought one if it hadn't been included in the package.
Last edited by Br1an Th0rne on June 25th, 2020, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Grunzweig
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 277
Joined: July 25th, 2012, 10:06 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#84 Post by Jonathan Grunzweig » June 25th, 2020, 8:38 am

Andrew K. wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 5:17 pm
a premoxed Leflaive
You (and a few others in this very cool thread) must not be superstitious... unless you meant to add "this month", not true for me even then though.

For my account, a few aspirational wines I have yet to have:

Any Roumier
Keller G-Max (will change that soon)
DRC RC

Jonathan

User avatar
AndyK
Posts: 377
Joined: February 17th, 2018, 4:29 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#85 Post by AndyK » June 25th, 2020, 9:20 am

There are many wines I've never had, but a few I really want to try are:

La Tache
Ganevat Vignes de Mon Pere
Krug Clos du Mesnil
Rayas
Coche-Dury CC or Perrieres
Latour
Roulot Perrieres

Haven't had one yet, but I have a bottle or two and will change that some time in the future:
Rousseau Chambertin
Monfortino
Juge
Verset
Selosse
Raveneau Clos
k0berl

NED VALOIS
Posts: 6025
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 9:47 am
Location: South Miami,Fl

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#86 Post by NED VALOIS » June 25th, 2020, 9:31 am

I've never had ENOUGH ! [snort.gif] [cheers.gif]

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 786
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#87 Post by dsimmons » June 25th, 2020, 10:32 am

I have never paid more than $250 for a bottle of wine as I believe you can drink very very well way below that price point.
D o n

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1652
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#88 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » June 25th, 2020, 10:48 am

Sean S y d n e y wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 8:10 pm
I've never had Grand Cru Burgundy older than about 2012, and that was twice, two sips total.
I've never had a glass of a First Growth; one ounce of 2000 Latour and a tiny sip of 1994 Latour are my only tastes.
I've never had a wine older than 1982.
I've never had a wine from my birth year that wasn't a PX sherry (admittedly, a terrible to mediocre year almost everywhere around the world).
I've never had any California Cabernet from a bottle worth more than $100 (though I have one bottle of 2014 Mount Eden, it was about $100 CAD).
I've never had aged ( >10 years ) Riesling.

I have a lot to catch up on.
Were you born in 1987 too?
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1890
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#89 Post by Larry Stein » June 25th, 2020, 10:56 am

dsimmons wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 10:32 am
I have never paid more than $250 for a bottle of wine as I believe you can drink very very well way below that price point.
I assume you're talking retail, not restaurant prices. For me, I've never paid more $150! Ridge Monte Bello futures are pretty close to that. That's my one wine indulgence.

I have spent more than $150 for restaurant wines, but that was for '37 Romanee-Conti ($225) and '49 La Tache ($175) in 1983. Same restaurant, Tan Dinh. RC for dinner and LT for lunch 2 days later. Those are the only times. Now, you'd probably have to add two trailing zeroes to those prices.

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 23441
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#90 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 25th, 2020, 10:57 am

AndyK wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 9:20 am
Juge
Verset

Classic to do these side-by-side. Two of the Cornas greats.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 815
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 2:26 pm
Location: Newtown, PA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#91 Post by AD Northup » June 25th, 2020, 10:58 am

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 10:48 am
Sean S y d n e y wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 8:10 pm
I've never had Grand Cru Burgundy older than about 2012, and that was twice, two sips total.
I've never had a glass of a First Growth; one ounce of 2000 Latour and a tiny sip of 1994 Latour are my only tastes.
I've never had a wine older than 1982.
I've never had a wine from my birth year that wasn't a PX sherry (admittedly, a terrible to mediocre year almost everywhere around the world).
I've never had any California Cabernet from a bottle worth more than $100 (though I have one bottle of 2014 Mount Eden, it was about $100 CAD).
I've never had aged ( >10 years ) Riesling.

I have a lot to catch up on.
Were you born in 1987 too?
87 here, there's some really solid still very much alive stuff from CA for 87, have pretty much avoided most anywhere else, but believe some people on this board could help out with the exceptions that may exist
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

User avatar
Sean S y d n e y
Posts: 655
Joined: March 1st, 2020, 3:20 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#92 Post by Sean S y d n e y » June 25th, 2020, 11:01 am

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 10:48 am

Were you born in 1987 too?
You got it. Looks like California was the only place that made decent wine, so one day I'd like a bottle of Monte Bello or something.
Instagram: @seansydney

User avatar
Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11059
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Location: OC, CA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#93 Post by Cris Whetstone » June 25th, 2020, 11:04 am

The '87 Montelena is excellent. One of the better wines I've had from this state.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1890
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#94 Post by Larry Stein » June 25th, 2020, 11:08 am

Excellent Napa Cab vintage. Cult cabs hadn't started yet so pretty much everything is old-school style. Mondavi Reserve is terrific.

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 34310
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#95 Post by Anton D » June 25th, 2020, 11:11 am

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 5:40 pm
I have never had

Barefoot or Yellowtail
Wine served from a box
Wine with an ice cube in it
Amateur.

champagne.gif
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1652
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#96 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » June 25th, 2020, 11:17 am

Sean S y d n e y wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:01 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 10:48 am

Were you born in 1987 too?
You got it. Looks like California was the only place that made decent wine, so one day I'd like a bottle of Monte Bello or something.
1987 Dunn Howell Mountain last year was excellent
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Sean S y d n e y
Posts: 655
Joined: March 1st, 2020, 3:20 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#97 Post by Sean S y d n e y » June 25th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:17 am

1987 Dunn Howell Mountain last year was excellent
87 offline!! We can mock the boomers AND the Xers.
Instagram: @seansydney

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 815
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 2:26 pm
Location: Newtown, PA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#98 Post by AD Northup » June 25th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Sean S y d n e y wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 12:12 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:17 am

1987 Dunn Howell Mountain last year was excellent
87 offline!! We can mock the boomers AND the Xers.
Count me in! Have some 1987 Musar I can offer up to break up the CA monopoly even
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

User avatar
S. Stevenson
Posts: 667
Joined: February 4th, 2016, 3:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#99 Post by S. Stevenson » June 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Andrew K. wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 8:45 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 6:45 pm
Other than the virtually unobtainable (e.g, DRC RC)
RC is very obtainable. Just have to write the check. Virtually unobtainable would be a 1971 Prum WS Trockenbeerenauslese. And would cost much less if you could obtain it.
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/joh+ ... rmany/1971
Stan

User avatar
S. Stevenson
Posts: 667
Joined: February 4th, 2016, 3:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#100 Post by S. Stevenson » June 25th, 2020, 12:43 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:10 am
Larry Stein wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 7:26 pm
Being an elder POS (66), I've had pretty much every European wine mentioned above except Krug CdAmbonnay. The only one that comes to mind that I've never had is Bartolo Mascarello Barolo. Given that I've been drinking/tasting seriously for 40+ years, I might have and just don't remember!

I've never had any of the cult Napa Cabs: SE, Harlan, etc. Can't say I have any desire to try them unless someone opened a bottle.

I've never had '51 or 58 BV Reserve, or '41 Inglenook Cab (I have held a bottle). 60s vintages of those? Plenty.

Regarding the Jayer comments, y'all really don't want to know what I paid for them. I used to own different wines from the 1978-81 vintages. I drank them, none left.
It is very interesting how different things are today by age. Wine prices have shot up so much that the top wines are now virtually unaffordable to so many people. It did not use to be that way. As late as the 1990 vintage, first growths could be had on futures for about $60 a bottle. In the 1980s, I bought 1984 Ridge Montebello for $20 and 1980 DRC Grands Echezeaux for $35.

And, in the early 1980s, I was able to attend a preview tasting for a Heublein wine auction by buying the catalog for $35. At that preview tasting, I got to check off many of the boxes people are missing today in one swoop - wines being tasted included a 1959 Petrus, 1945 Comte de Vogue Musigny, 1940 la Tache, Yquem from the 20s, Chambertin from the 30s, 68 BV Reserve and Inglenook Cask, Tokaji Essencia from the 1950s, etc., etc., etc. Very different world.
Yeah, got to taste a 1870 Clos Vougeot at Heublein back then and it was amazing. For the top end wines, you got a ticket, got in a long line, and whatever they were pouring at the time you when got to the front of the line you got a half glass of it.
Stan

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”