Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1890
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#101 Post by Larry Stein » June 25th, 2020, 12:49 pm

I went to one Heublein auction tasting. Several of us went. We staggered ourselves in the line for the real old stuff. That way we pretty much got to taste them all. When it was my turn, the 1829 Hermitage was being poured. The pourer's wrist buckled a bit and I got nearly a full glass! He shrugged a little and that was it. The folks' eyes who stood right behind me nearly bugged out. My friends were really happy!

User avatar
Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 391
Joined: January 31st, 2009, 1:16 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#102 Post by Marshall Manning » June 25th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Sean S y d n e y wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:01 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 10:48 am

Were you born in 1987 too?
You got it. Looks like California was the only place that made decent wine, so one day I'd like a bottle of Monte Bello or something.
Had the '87 Clos du Val Stags Leap Cab last year, and it was delicious. It was something like $30+ commission at auction. Just look for good producers who aren't hyped.
Marshall

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18867
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#103 Post by Howard Cooper » June 25th, 2020, 1:36 pm

S. Stevenson wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 12:43 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:10 am
Larry Stein wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 7:26 pm
Being an elder POS (66), I've had pretty much every European wine mentioned above except Krug CdAmbonnay. The only one that comes to mind that I've never had is Bartolo Mascarello Barolo. Given that I've been drinking/tasting seriously for 40+ years, I might have and just don't remember!

I've never had any of the cult Napa Cabs: SE, Harlan, etc. Can't say I have any desire to try them unless someone opened a bottle.

I've never had '51 or 58 BV Reserve, or '41 Inglenook Cab (I have held a bottle). 60s vintages of those? Plenty.

Regarding the Jayer comments, y'all really don't want to know what I paid for them. I used to own different wines from the 1978-81 vintages. I drank them, none left.
It is very interesting how different things are today by age. Wine prices have shot up so much that the top wines are now virtually unaffordable to so many people. It did not use to be that way. As late as the 1990 vintage, first growths could be had on futures for about $60 a bottle. In the 1980s, I bought 1984 Ridge Montebello for $20 and 1980 DRC Grands Echezeaux for $35.

And, in the early 1980s, I was able to attend a preview tasting for a Heublein wine auction by buying the catalog for $35. At that preview tasting, I got to check off many of the boxes people are missing today in one swoop - wines being tasted included a 1959 Petrus, 1945 Comte de Vogue Musigny, 1940 la Tache, Yquem from the 20s, Chambertin from the 30s, 68 BV Reserve and Inglenook Cask, Tokaji Essencia from the 1950s, etc., etc., etc. Very different world.
Yeah, got to taste a 1870 Clos Vougeot at Heublein back then and it was amazing. For the top end wines, you got a ticket, got in a long line, and whatever they were pouring at the time you when got to the front of the line you got a half glass of it.
We had two places for higher end wines. The long line (no ticket) where you got whatever they were pouring and another Burgundy spot where they just opened a bottle every ten minutes or so (you know, minor stuff like 1934 Chambertin, 1940 la Tache, 1945 Comte Vogue Musigny, etc.). I was there with a friend and we developed a strategy. One of us would wait in the long line so we could taste the really rare stuff. The other would take our glasses and hunt for other treasures. I once had to gulp down some 1968 Inglenook Cask for have an empty glass for a new rare Burgundy they opened up all of a sudden, but all in all it was one of the greatest tastings I have ever attended. I did keep going back to get more 1971 Yquem.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1451
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#104 Post by Jim Stewart » June 25th, 2020, 2:17 pm

I have never had . . .
My best glass of wine
(Yet)
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

User avatar
AndrewH
Posts: 2711
Joined: May 14th, 2010, 1:34 pm

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#105 Post by AndrewH » June 25th, 2020, 2:24 pm

AD Northup wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 5:40 pm
I have never had

Barefoot or Yellowtail
Wine served from a box
Wine with an ice cube in it
You didn’t “slap the bag” in college? [rofl.gif] (Though I guess that would remove the box)

The wine with an ice cube one is interesting...a year ago on a very very warm day I ordered a glass of rose at an outdoor bar at a moderately nice place nearby...without asking, bartender goes “oh, this is a little warm”, drops 3 ice cubes in, and walks away...wasn’t really sure how to respond
"What do you have that's properly chilled already? I'll take that instead."
Andrew H e i m e r t

User avatar
lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1556
Joined: June 28th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Location: Santa Fe NM

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#106 Post by lleichtman » June 25th, 2020, 2:26 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 5:14 pm
Ahhh...the old teenage drinkin game! hitsfan But lets make this PG...and about wine only! I know there are probably thousands of wines that you could say that you HAVE NEVER had...but just list a few that kind of surprises you at your stage of wine drinking...that you HAVE NEVER had? And if YOU HAVE...then DRINK! [drinkers.gif]

I have never....had

Petrus
Krug CdM,CdA, Rose'
Rousseau Chambertin
Scarecrow
Henri Jayer
SQN Next of Kyn
Dry wine older than 1941

Now...your turn! [cheers.gif]
Well, I've had some of these including Petrus, Rousseau Chambertin but I have avoided virtually all cult CA cabs. So, anyone here had wines from every US state?
Lawrence G. Leichtman

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 815
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 2:26 pm
Location: Newtown, PA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#107 Post by AD Northup » June 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm

AndrewH wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 2:24 pm
AD Northup wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 5:40 pm
I have never had

Barefoot or Yellowtail
Wine served from a box
Wine with an ice cube in it
You didn’t “slap the bag” in college? [rofl.gif] (Though I guess that would remove the box)

The wine with an ice cube one is interesting...a year ago on a very very warm day I ordered a glass of rose at an outdoor bar at a moderately nice place nearby...without asking, bartender goes “oh, this is a little warm”, drops 3 ice cubes in, and walks away...wasn’t really sure how to respond
"What do you have that's properly chilled already? I'll take that instead."
Bartender was gone before I could even process what happened
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

User avatar
lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1556
Joined: June 28th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Location: Santa Fe NM

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#108 Post by lleichtman » June 25th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 4:10 am
Larry Stein wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 7:26 pm
Being an elder POS (66), I've had pretty much every European wine mentioned above except Krug CdAmbonnay. The only one that comes to mind that I've never had is Bartolo Mascarello Barolo. Given that I've been drinking/tasting seriously for 40+ years, I might have and just don't remember!

I've never had any of the cult Napa Cabs: SE, Harlan, etc. Can't say I have any desire to try them unless someone opened a bottle.

I've never had '51 or 58 BV Reserve, or '41 Inglenook Cab (I have held a bottle). 60s vintages of those? Plenty.

Regarding the Jayer comments, y'all really don't want to know what I paid for them. I used to own different wines from the 1978-81 vintages. I drank them, none left.
It is very interesting how different things are today by age. Wine prices have shot up so much that the top wines are now virtually unaffordable to so many people. It did not use to be that way. As late as the 1990 vintage, first growths could be had on futures for about $60 a bottle. In the 1980s, I bought 1984 Ridge Montebello for $20 and 1980 DRC Grands Echezeaux for $35.

And, in the early 1980s, I was able to attend a preview tasting for a Heublein wine auction by buying the catalog for $35. At that preview tasting, I got to check off many of the boxes people are missing today in one swoop - wines being tasted included a 1959 Petrus, 1945 Comte de Vogue Musigny, 1940 la Tache, Yquem from the 20s, Chambertin from the 30s, 68 BV Reserve and Inglenook Cask, Tokaji Essencia from the 1950s, etc., etc., etc. Very different world.
Great point. My first, first growth was from 1959 an Lafitte and it was $27 in 1975 if I remember correctly though that was 45 years ago so memory may be cloudy though I still remember what it tasted like.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6690
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#109 Post by Markus S » June 25th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Never have I ever...had a birthyear wine. [head-bang.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13513
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#110 Post by J a y H a c k » June 25th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 3:56 am
Andrew K. wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 8:45 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 6:45 pm
Other than the virtually unobtainable (e.g, DRC RC)
RC is very obtainable. Just have to write the check. Virtually unobtainable would be a 1971 Prum WS Trockenbeerenauslese. And would cost much less if you could obtain it.
I usually bring one every year to Rieslingfeier so if it ever happens again please come! Katarina was there this year so I brought a 59 & 71. She said it was only the 2 time she had the 59.

And what am I? Chopped liver? Although you did let me cross G-Max off my list and I crossed Clos St. Hune off my list myself that night.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1201
Joined: November 11th, 2013, 11:16 am
Location: El Paso

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#111 Post by Jeremy C » June 25th, 2020, 6:41 pm

I have never had a 1973 Dom Perignon. Birth year wine, and I'd love to try it.

I see that there are a couple on WineBid. May have to consider this Sunday.
Cuth.bert.son

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13513
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#112 Post by J a y H a c k » June 25th, 2020, 6:54 pm

Markus S wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 6:29 pm
Never have I ever...had a birthyear wine. [head-bang.gif]
What year? I am a 1951, a HORRIBLE year, but I have managed to get one lot of Rivesaltas and one lot of Port at auction.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7682
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#113 Post by Mark Y » June 25th, 2020, 6:58 pm

Before tonight, i could have said never had a Sparkling Beaujolais.
Y.e.

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1890
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#114 Post by Larry Stein » June 25th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Mark Y wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 6:58 pm
Before tonight, i could have said never had a Sparkling Beaujolais.
Brun FRV100? (say the letters and number in French)

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7682
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#115 Post by Mark Y » June 25th, 2020, 9:08 pm

Larry Stein wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 8:41 pm
Mark Y wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 6:58 pm
Before tonight, i could have said never had a Sparkling Beaujolais.
Brun FRV100? (say the letters and number in French)
ok i'm wrong.. it's a sparkling gamay, not bojo!

but Brun FRV10000000 is the well known one :D
Y.e.

User avatar
Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 391
Joined: January 31st, 2009, 1:16 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#116 Post by Marshall Manning » June 25th, 2020, 9:15 pm

Markus S wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 6:29 pm
Never have I ever...had a birthyear wine. [head-bang.gif]
What year, Markus?
Marshall

bretrooks
Posts: 520
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:04 pm
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#117 Post by bretrooks » June 27th, 2020, 8:36 am

A little bit late to the game, but here goes. Never have I ever:

- Tasted a dry wine as old or older than I am (1977 - the one wine I've had older than me was a 1950 Rivesaltes)
- Spent $70 or more on a bottle for myself, even at a restaurant
- Tasted a first growth, grand cru burg, 100-pointer, etc.
- Tasted a Napa cab, champagne, or brunello that made me think that category was worth the cost to pursue more deeply
- Spent more than $25 to taste at a winery
- Tasted wine from a larger format than a magnum
- Purchased wine via an auction
Bret R., Intrepid QPR Explorer

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6690
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#118 Post by Markus S » June 27th, 2020, 9:54 am

Marshall Manning wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Markus S wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 6:29 pm
Never have I ever...had a birthyear wine. [head-bang.gif]
What year, Markus?
J a y H a c k wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 6:54 pm
Markus S wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 6:29 pm
Never have I ever...had a birthyear wine. [head-bang.gif]
What year? I am a 1951, a HORRIBLE year, but I have managed to get one lot of Rivesaltas and one lot of Port at auction.
Let's just say an excellent year from the 60's...sigh.
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
JohnP
Posts: 407
Joined: August 14th, 2017, 10:35 pm

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#119 Post by JohnP » June 28th, 2020, 1:21 pm

...I HAVE NEVER had Raveneau or Chateau Rayas. They have now made my bucket list. Are they really as good as the hype?
John Pollard

K Kl@dder
Posts: 55
Joined: January 27th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#120 Post by K Kl@dder » June 28th, 2020, 2:20 pm

I've never had anything from Burgundy or Bordeaux
K e i t h

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11277
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#121 Post by Merrill Lindquist » June 28th, 2020, 5:52 pm

A Riesling that I liked.

Sorry, Rieslingfan.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Patrick Stella
Posts: 162
Joined: March 28th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#122 Post by Patrick Stella » June 29th, 2020, 2:53 pm

There are lots of great wines I've never had. But the one that bothers me is 61 Petrus.
ITB -- WineCredit LLC

Alex Valdes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 52
Joined: June 22nd, 2020, 12:47 pm
Location: CT

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#123 Post by Alex Valdes » June 29th, 2020, 3:07 pm

JohnP wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 1:21 pm
...I HAVE NEVER had Raveneau or Chateau Rayas. They have now made my bucket list. Are they really as good as the hype?
For me Rayas is a yes, must have while Raveneau not so much. They make great wine but prefer many other GC and 1er white Burgundy over a Valmur

I. Howe
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 164
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 8:45 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#124 Post by I. Howe » June 29th, 2020, 6:12 pm

I have not had much of what everyone has listed.

However, something many people on this board have had that I have never had is Dom Perignon. Any vintage. It's on my list, just have not gotten around to it.
Ian Howe

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7474
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#125 Post by David Glasser » July 1st, 2020, 9:29 am

I’ve been less into Burgundy than most other regions and that’s where the biggest holes in my experience are. The one that stands out for me is DRC La Tache. Plenty of others I’ve never had that I’d like to try, but a good vintage of La Tache solidly in its drinking window is at the top of that list. Then maybe a legendary bottle of Jayer Cros Parantoux. Those two above even DRC RC.

User avatar
J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 560
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Location: San Antonio, Tx

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#126 Post by J.Vizuete » July 1st, 2020, 11:02 am

To date, I've not tasted anything produced by Coche Dury, Ch. Rayas, Clos Rougeard, or Bartolo Mascarello. There are a great many grand cru red burgs I haven't tried, but I'm more interested in getting around to the (old) world greats before wading far into the Burgundy deep end.

I've tasted a few first growth BDX but have a few wines on my bucket list, namely 1982 PLL, 1986 LLC, 1989 Haut Brion, 1990 Montrose, and 1998 Haut Brion.

Planning to rectify all of these in the coming years
John
CT: jviz
WOTY: 1989 VCC

Alex Valdes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 52
Joined: June 22nd, 2020, 12:47 pm
Location: CT

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#127 Post by Alex Valdes » July 1st, 2020, 11:15 am

J.Vizuete wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 11:02 am
To date, I've not tasted anything produced by Coche Dury, Ch. Rayas, Clos Rougeard, or Bartolo Mascarello. There are a great many grand cru red burgs I haven't tried, but I'm more interested in getting around to the (old) world greats before wading far into the Burgundy deep end.

I've tasted a few first growth BDX but have a few wines on my bucket list, namely 1982 PLL, 1986 LLC, 1989 Haut Brion, 1990 Montrose, and 1998 Haut Brion.

Planning to rectify all of these in the coming years
Rougeard is one I would prioritize from that set (specifically the Breze; the Le Bourg is wonderful but the Breze is really a nice surprise). Also it’s no longer being produced so only going to get rarer

User avatar
J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 560
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Location: San Antonio, Tx

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#128 Post by J.Vizuete » July 1st, 2020, 11:33 am

Alex Valdes wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 11:15 am
J.Vizuete wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 11:02 am
To date, I've not tasted anything produced by Coche Dury, Ch. Rayas, Clos Rougeard, or Bartolo Mascarello. There are a great many grand cru red burgs I haven't tried, but I'm more interested in getting around to the (old) world greats before wading far into the Burgundy deep end.

I've tasted a few first growth BDX but have a few wines on my bucket list, namely 1982 PLL, 1986 LLC, 1989 Haut Brion, 1990 Montrose, and 1998 Haut Brion.

Planning to rectify all of these in the coming years
Rougeard is one I would prioritize from that set (specifically the Breze; the Le Bourg is wonderful but the Breze is really a nice surprise). Also it’s no longer being produced so only going to get rarer
Thanks for the feedback, Alex - I wasn't really thinking about the white, but should add it to the list.
John
CT: jviz
WOTY: 1989 VCC

User avatar
wspohn
Posts: 1823
Joined: July 13th, 2010, 6:31 am

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#129 Post by wspohn » July 1st, 2020, 6:53 pm

I have never had:

A Pinotage I really liked

A dry red wine older than the 1830s.

A white wine older than the 1900-1910 era

A Port older than the 1870s

A reviewed 100 point wine that I would have given 100 points to.
Bill in BC
Vancouver BC

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6690
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#130 Post by Markus S » July 2nd, 2020, 4:57 am

wspohn wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:53 pm
I have never had:

.....

A reviewed 100 point wine that I would have given 100 points to.
That says a lot right there.
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 23441
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#131 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 2nd, 2020, 7:01 am

Markus S wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 4:57 am
wspohn wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:53 pm
I have never had:

.....

A reviewed 100 point wine that I would have given 100 points to.
That says a lot right there.
Perhaps, but the salient follow-up is, “have you ever scored a wine 100 points?”

The car is 100!

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
wspohn
Posts: 1823
Joined: July 13th, 2010, 6:31 am

Re: Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

#132 Post by wspohn » July 2nd, 2020, 9:04 am

I took off one point on the 1985 Sassicaia because it lacks typicity - no sense of location - a very international wine. Having said that, it is a very, very good international styled wine! (I've done a couple of verticals over the years with Sassicaia, and all the other vintages seem made in the same frame, with the 85 the only atypical one, right up until you hit this century, when they start being ripe modern style which for me makes them also somewhat atypical.
Bill in BC
Vancouver BC

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”