TN: 2007 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile (France, Alsace)

Thought I’d crack open another bottle after seeing Brodie’s poxed bottle thread here…2007 Trimbach CFE - premox arrgh - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

My last bottle of this back in Dec was poxed as well…but NICE redemption here!

• 2007 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile - France, Alsace (6/24/2020)
    Beautifully chiseled wet crushed rocks…tart lemon/lime, green apple skin citrus…chalky slate dust…nuanced petrol…some creamy tropical pineapple and quince jelly…dried honey…long sour tarts and spicy dry finish. This bottle ROCKS! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I will grab one as soon as I can.

Buzz, the wine, the pic, the sun…it all looks good! Had an '02 thanks to a friend pre-Covid and it was delicious.

My all-time fav is the 01! And…don’t know if it’s just me…but every time I have the CFE with a CSH…the CFE kills it?

I often like the CFE better, but I think the CSH is just so severe that it really needs 25-30 years to develop.

In a Zoom call the other day, someone asked Jean Trimbach for his favorite wine. He said CFE over CSH.

My favorite CFE is still the 1990 although I have also loved the 1995.

1990 CFE VT remains one of the greatest wines of my life.

Great note Buzz, thanks for posting and really happy that it was a good bottle…

Cheers Brodie

I think the ‘95 moved ahead but it’s splitting hairs. ‘95 out of magnum at Manuel’s birthday a couple years ago, I can’t recall a better bottle of Fred.

I haven’t had the 1995, but a few 1990 that were shared my way from a big lot auction win several years ago are my 2nd favorite CFEs.

The 1983, from a 3-pack purchase and with the last bottle consumed 4 years ago, remain as my best to date.

Well, as you know, I loved that wine for a long time and owned and drank north of two cases of it - and for years I found it superior to the 1989 VT - but the last couple of bottles I had (about three years ago) showed a wine a bit softer and less focused than the 89.

Had a bottle of the 2007 CFE with dinner tonight. It’s liquid steel. Bracing and bone dry. Classic CFE. Not a monument like the 1990 or 2001, but just exactly what CFE is expected to be.

I think I’m in the minority but I liked this better than the 2008.

Hmm…now I need to open another 2008. :wink:

As a Riesling fan I am woefully inexperienced with the wines from Alsace. Thank you for sharing these notes. It makes me even more resolved to pick some of these up at auction if they are ever available.

2007 and 2008 can still be found at retail if you look carefully. CFE is widely available.

A long time ago, my wife and I had dinner with Hubert Trimbach several times in LA when he visited the C&E distributor here. The first time, as we drank CSH at the Hollywood Bowl, Hubert said that CSH should only be opened on national holidays. I replied that it was a good thing he lived in France, as they have national holidays weekly. Thereafter, we declared a national holiday whenever we saw him.

I would happily declare a holiday any time I could sit down to a meal with one of the Trimbachs!

You drink the best stuff, Maureen. [worship.gif]