TN: 1987 Quinta do Carmo Garrafeira (Alentejo, Portugal)

The year was 1986 when Júlio Bastos found himself running Quinta do Carmo, an estate in Alentejo, with no formal knowledge of either viticulture or winemaking, after his father’s illness. Yet he had a passion about him which served him well in those troubled years when the Alentejo was seeking to regain its identity and rebuild its economic structures after a revolution which turned it upside down. The owners of Lafite-Rothschild tempted him with a purchase proposal, promising cash flow and economic stability, but Júlio Bastos was disdainful of their plans to rip out old, low yielding vines of Alicante Bouschet, Castelão, Trincadeira and Moreto in exchange for Cabernet Sauvignon. The litmus test came in 1992, when the Quinta do Carmo Garrafeira 1986 was tasted blind next to 1986 Mouton Rothschild - one of the wines of the vintage - with the participation of the Rothschilds. There was clear consensus: the Quinta do Carmo was the winner.

Júlio Bastos did eventually sell half of Quinta do Carmo to the Rothschilds, who likely paid little attention to this secondary propriety in their portfolio and made insipid, uninteresting wines in the estate before the brand was passed on to Madeira born millionaire Joe Berardo and his Bacalhôa wines, turning Quinta do Carmo into a supermarket wine brand. Those half a dozen years Júlio Bastos spent at Quinta do Carmo, too ephemerous to be considered a golden age, have attained legendary status among Portuguese wines. Having brought the 1987 Garrafeira to a family dinner tonight, I can vow for that.

This is no aged Bordeaux: it’s hard to find notes of graphite or charcoal unless you will them into existence. The nose is all old Alicante Bouschet warmth: damp, earthy soil, blueberry compotte, old mahogany, varnish and heather honey. The mouth is remarkable: seemingly endless, with powerful acidity which should give it a further lifespan of many years. It’s just reaching its maturity. Definitely one of the great wine experiences of my life, and an absolute privilege.
IMG_20200623_213107.jpg
IMG_20200623_201151.jpg
IMG_20200623_201049.jpg

Tomas,
Thank you for the great backstory and evocative note. Tasting a lost treasure can be bittersweet. I appreciate you sharing a great experience.

Cheers.

Thanks Todd. The silver lining in this story is that Júlio Bastos went on to create a new brand of wines in 2003, Dona Maria, and they have performed excellently ever since.

Tomas,

Thanks for this note. I really enjoy reading your posts on Portuguese wines, which I am very much interested in exploring, so please keep them coming! In response to one of your recent posts, I bought a selection of Portuguese whites to try this summer!

Many years ago, I lived near Fall River, Massachusetts–a town with a large Portuguese community–and was able to purchase and sample a few Portuguese wines from the local markets, which I found impressive and great value. I have always intended to explore these wines further, but never seem to get around to it. However, one of my best wine experiences over the past year was a fairly modest 1985 Dao I picked up from a Portland, OR retailer who is now out of business. Unfortunately, I have had a hard time matching that experience, as it is hard to find a good selection of red wines from Portugal in my area, let alone those with any age on them. And the limited resources on the wines of Portugal make it hard to judge how the young wines that are available will age. So I very much appreciate your input here.