TN: 2010 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Russian River Valley

• 2010 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (6/21/2020)
    An excellent wine that proves that with some age a patience, California pinot noir can be as good (or better) that comparably priced Burgundy. NOTE that this is the appellation wine, not a single vineyard. The rough edges are gone, the fruit is balanced by some herbs and spice, the acidity is a reasonable balancing factor, rather than a searing annoyance, and it goes down very smoothly. There is a bit of classic California Pinot Funk, which a lot of people like and is not my favorite flavor, but it is not overpowering and does not get in the way. I have another bottle of this under would really like to wait to see what it does five years from now. I have a bottle of the 2006 RRV, so may be a highway to a year or two and just drink one against the other. Sounds like a plan. Anyone who believes the community drink dates of 2013 to 2019 needs to learn something about the complexities of age and ignore the naysayers claim that wines like this will fall apart with age. I don’t even know what fall apart means, and I certainly haven’t ever tasted it in an aged California wine. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I was late to the party on Kosta Browne and thought it wasn’t worthwhile buying new vintages - after the buyout - and like to see these kinds of notes that subvert my expectations.

As I said to Rebecca, nothing beats an aged Pinot Noir. I thought this wine was delicious. Thanks for the pour.

Which one? It was sold a few times

Sometime around 2017 when the founders stepped away from being hands on. That may have been a long time after the first sale, and just before the second one to Duckhorn?

My purchase history was spotty. I first bought when then were on the front page of WS and I discovered I could buy a “cult” by mail order in NY about 15 years ago. My purchase history was spotty but my last vintage was 2010. I do not remember why I stopped, except I recall that the price seemed to have gotten too high in comparison to competitors. I usually stop buying after someone sells to a conglomerate, but I do not remember that in this case.