Drinking Much 2003 Red Burgundy?

Apropos Brian’s question for 2005 but for the dreaded 2003 vintage: How do you think they’re doing … Bourgogne vs village vs 1er cru vs Grands Cru?
I just opened up a 2003 Chevillon Pruliers that was excellent. No hint of the stewed fruit detected when last tasted in 2013. And what have ye found?

I only bought from one producer - Jacky Truchot - to keep an allocation, in essence. When young, the wines tasted good but not great. Today, the wines are absolutely fabulous and keep getting better every time I taste them. I really have not tasted 2003 from other producers, but my experience with these makes me wonder if there are other unappreciated gems around. I bought premier crus and grand crus.

I haven’t been drinking too much recent 2003 Burgundy by did have an Engel 03 Clos Vougeot a month ago that was terrific.

Is this a good sleeper vintage to buy for consumption today, provided you know your targets?

I still have a bit of '03 in the cellar but never feel the urge to crack one. In fact I sold a number at auction a few years ago, which is the only time that I have sold red Burgs from my cellar. I have had some nice surprises, notable an Arlaud MSD Ruchottes. Can’t say that i have been bowled over by Chevillon’s offerings, but Clavelier’s very good. Time to crack another.

I had a Jadot CM Fuees last week that was delicious … if you like Sonoma Coast pinot!

I was shocked at how young the wine presented. No terroir at all so a real mind-blower when revealed after blind tasting.

I wonder how much the Meuzin might have come to play in 2003.

I have a couple of Arlaud Les Millandes. Need to crack one of those!

I don’t know the geography of NSG, but it appears like the Meuzin goes through populated areas, not the vineyards. My guess is not much.

i recently purchased some bottles of 2003 bonnes mares from domaine bart and 1/2 dreading and 1/2 excited to try them. any expectations on bonnes mares from the early 2000s from that producer?

1999 is good. Not earth shattering but very solid and a great price at the time.

I have a 2003 Bertheau BM to try

2nd worst red Burg vintage of the decade

I had the Leroy Bourgogne a year ago. It was very solid for a 50€ restaurant bottle but also felt way younger than its age.

Was 93 the worst vintage of the 2000 decade?

I just checked CT. Over the last 14 years I’ve had 81 bottles of 2003 red Burgundy. Sure some variation, some clunky wines, some with the heat signature. But much more often really tasty wine that shows vineyard and region characteristics. I, for one, am happy at the number of collectors who bypass this vintage as that leaves a little window of opportunity for the rest of us. But even here, prices have really increased in recent years…

I drank a lovely 03 Potel Chambertin last week. It was very ‘03’ at first but after an hour or so beautiful secondary aromas emerged and the weightiness of the fruit dissipated

I have had more enjoyment from the 03’s vs 99’s. I know that goes against the prevailing wisdom but it is what it is.

If you like Burgundy on the riper side, it could be. Even good producers made wines that are…not subtle. We had a 2003 Rousseau Mazy in February and while it was a good wine, it was definitely a big, plush wine that was lacking some acidity and structure. Waves of big fruit. If you like that style, you may well find quite a bit of wine that could be very good.

It is one of the many styles I can enjoy, but I wouldn’t go to Rome to visit the mosques, so I’ll pass!