Re: Winebid site had problems tonight.

#102 Post by Dennis Atick » July 31st, 2020, 11:57 am

Jay Miller wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:29 am
Dennis Atick wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Jay Miller wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 2:06 pm

BTW Dennis - if things ever get back to normal and you make it up to the NYC/Jersey City area I'd be happy to open any of these bottles which I have remaining. Or if I get down to Atlanta but I think the last time I did that was about 15+ years ago and back then I didn't have dogs who needed looking after.
Jay- Thanks. I Would really like to make that happen one day. And would be fitting as you (or Hardy?) brought the 2001 Garys' to dinner the one time we met here in ATL. Let's make it happen when life gets back to normal [cheers.gif]
All I remember is that I brought a red and a Kunstler Stielweg. And that I enjoyed the dinner tremendously.

I certainly owned 2001 Gary's at one point so I might have brought it. But it could just as easily have been Hardy. Do you have any idea what year that was?
That is a good question! It was a few years before Dirty and Rowdy was a thing, I had just recently met Hardy. Maybe 2006ish? Let me see if I have any notes that might correspond.

Edit: November 2007 looks like from a note I have in CT for the Rochiloi that I think I toted to that dinner.
@decaturwinedude

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Jay Miller » August 1st, 2020, 5:01 pm

Dennis Atick wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:57 am
Jay Miller wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:29 am
Dennis Atick wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Jay- Thanks. I Would really like to make that happen one day. And would be fitting as you (or Hardy?) brought the 2001 Garys' to dinner the one time we met here in ATL. Let's make it happen when life gets back to normal [cheers.gif]
All I remember is that I brought a red and a Kunstler Stielweg. And that I enjoyed the dinner tremendously.

I certainly owned 2001 Gary's at one point so I might have brought it. But it could just as easily have been Hardy. Do you have any idea what year that was?
That is a good question! It was a few years before Dirty and Rowdy was a thing, I had just recently met Hardy. Maybe 2006ish? Let me see if I have any notes that might correspond.

Edit: November 2007 looks like from a note I have in CT for the Rochioli that I think I toted to that dinner.
So a little under 13 years rather than the 15 I guessed above. Thanks, good to have the placeholder for what I laughingly call my "memory" [cheers.gif]
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Jeff P

#104 Post by Jeff P » August 2nd, 2020, 7:00 pm

Super slow again in the last 2 minutes tonight. Site wouldn't load for at least 60 seconds... frustrating
Jeff P@ren+

Mike C.

#105 Post by Mike C. » August 2nd, 2020, 7:01 pm

And the site struggled yet again in the last couple minutes
h@0

Marc Hauser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Marc Hauser » August 2nd, 2020, 7:06 pm

I had the same experience tonight.
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman cannabis lawyer and erstwhile wine lawyer)

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Robert M yers » August 2nd, 2020, 7:11 pm

Marc Hauser wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 7:06 pm
I had the same experience tonight.

MikeL238

#108 Post by MikeL238 » August 2nd, 2020, 7:45 pm

Yup, same here. Thought it would have been fixed by now.
Mike Leigh

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#109 Post by c fu » August 2nd, 2020, 8:18 pm

really sucks for sellers. Could have pocketed a couple more increments on some wines
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

MikeL238

#110 Post by MikeL238 » August 2nd, 2020, 8:34 pm

c fu wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 8:18 pm
really sucks for sellers. Could have pocketed a couple more increments on some wines
Right. It's been going on for couple of weeks now. Not sure why they are not getting it fixed.
Mike Leigh

M. Meer

#111 Post by M. Meer » August 2nd, 2020, 10:06 pm

No problems here tonight with late bidding, except a slightly lighter wallet [whistle.gif]
Mar.kus

Dennis Atick

#112 Post by Dennis Atick » August 3rd, 2020, 3:55 am

M. Meer wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 10:06 pm
No problems here tonight with late bidding, except a slightly lighter wallet [whistle.gif]
Same here. My only problem with Wine Bid is I keeping buying wine I don't really need!
@decaturwinedude

RMann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by RMann » August 3rd, 2020, 3:50 pm

Hi all, thanks for your continued enthusiasm for WineBid. In the spirit of offering the greatest transparency and authenticity in the online wine world, I can confirm that we had a little lag time last night in the last 60 seconds to close and 30 seconds post close, and that it was sporadic and limited to only a subset of users. What I can also confirm is that this is partially due an all-time high number of visitors, bidders and buyers in the past week and an especially active auction at last night's close. I can also confirm that all bids went through and no bids were lost, and statistically the auction performed very well for all consignors and buyers. Finally, the technical issue last night was different than the prior one- as we get more and more bidders and items, we are discovering and fixing little unique areas of the auction code that slow things down- call it a little bit of growing pains. We are doing everything possible with our small dev team to review and optimize all the code and improve the performance as we get more and more users and wines.

Some of you reached out to me privately, which I appreciate, and I will be responding later today or tomorrow morning. I don't know of any other auction site or even most ecommerce sites that go to this level of detail in communicating with customers, and hope you appreciate our efforts in doing so. We greatly appreciate your support and participation. - Russ
Russ Mann, CEO WineBid

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Alan Rath » August 3rd, 2020, 4:43 pm

Russ, is it a site-wide issue, or number of bidders on a particular bottle? If the latter, and you ever want to run some trials, I'm sure you could get a bunch of folks here to help out with some testing.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Victor Hong

#115 Post by Victor Hong » August 4th, 2020, 5:17 am

Alan Rath wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 4:43 pm
Russ, is it a site-wide issue, or number of bidders on a particular bottle? If the latter, and you ever want to run some trials, I'm sure you could get a bunch of folks here to help out with some testing.
Here is a solution for too many bidders at once: Have only one common sign-on for everybody. newhere
WineHunter.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Jay Miller » August 4th, 2020, 6:52 am

I think there may be a mislabeled wine in this week's auction.

It lists the 2011 Selbach Oster Ur Alte Reben but the picture of the label only shows Alte Reben and I had thought 2012 was the first vintage of the Ur?
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Larry Stein

#117 Post by Larry Stein » August 4th, 2020, 8:13 am

Alan Rath wrote:
I think it's a matter of either getting a new load testing tool or reconfiguring the one they have. What happens when 10,000 or more virtual users access the site at once? That's probably way more than normal, but that's what you want to do when testing a retail website. Figure out the spots in the workflow where the system clogs. Do some network testing, too.

RMann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by RMann » August 4th, 2020, 8:55 am

Jay Miller wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 6:52 am
I think there may be a mislabeled wine in this week's auction.

It lists the 2011 Selbach Oster Ur Alte Reben but the picture of the label only shows Alte Reben and I had thought 2012 was the first vintage of the Ur?
Thanks for the note and appreciate your phrasing. We'll look into it.
Russ Mann, CEO WineBid

RMann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by RMann » August 4th, 2020, 9:04 am

Larry Stein wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 8:13 am
Alan Rath wrote:
I think it's a matter of either getting a new load testing tool or reconfiguring the one they have. What happens when 10,000 or more virtual users access the site at once? That's probably way more than normal, but that's what you want to do when testing a retail website. Figure out the spots in the workflow where the system clogs. Do some network testing, too.
Hi guys, appreciate that many of you are in tech as well, and you can also understand it's more nuanced that just load/stress testing, although we are doing that too. Glad for your community involvement and support!
Russ Mann, CEO WineBid

M. Meer

#120 Post by M. Meer » August 4th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Dennis Atick wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 3:55 am
M. Meer wrote:
Same here. My only problem with Wine Bid is I keeping buying wine I don't really need!
I guess our wines aren't cool. [snort.gif]
Mar.kus

Victor Hong

#121 Post by Victor Hong » August 4th, 2020, 1:55 pm

M. Meer wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 1:12 pm
Dennis Atick wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 3:55 am
M. Meer wrote:
I guess our wines aren't cool. [snort.gif]
One Wine-Hunting bidder has "I Need No More Wine", as his or her WineBid name.
WineHunter.

Return to “Wine Talk”