#1 Post by Victor Hong » June 21st, 2020, 7:07 pm

Right as auctions closed.
WineHunter.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Winebid site had problems tonight.

#2 Post by Cris Whetstone » June 21st, 2020, 7:08 pm

I was wondering. I went to check on things and the site seems to be....having issues. No excuse for me missing the deadline but I wanted to see by how much I had lost the wines I forgot to re-up my bids on.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by J.Vizuete » June 21st, 2020, 7:13 pm

was a bummer on my end. I usually wait until the last minute.. won't make that mistake again. Lost out on some lovely Raveneau as a result of the slow-play...

site is still running super slow
John
CT: jviz
WOTY: 1989 VCC

Brian Crabtree

#4 Post by Brian Crabtree » June 21st, 2020, 7:19 pm

I'll say! Was just about to bid on a Bouchard Clos de Vougeot 2005 when the site went down. Oh, well. There are other wines.

Brian Crabtree

#5 Post by Brian Crabtree » June 21st, 2020, 7:22 pm

Also appears the site did not carry forward my tracking list. Hoping it will restore later.

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by NickRut » June 21st, 2020, 7:37 pm

It’s still messed up. Lots of wines missing.
Rutkowski

MikeL238

#7 Post by MikeL238 » June 21st, 2020, 7:52 pm

I noticed it too. Sucks. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Mike Leigh

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Michael Martin » June 21st, 2020, 7:56 pm

Screwed me too.

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by J.Vizuete » June 21st, 2020, 8:13 pm

Same problem here, tracking list deleted, lots of wines missing, I’m sure Russ will chime in.

OTOH, nice to know who the other sharks are!
John

Matt A u s t i n

#10 Post by Matt A u s t i n » June 21st, 2020, 8:15 pm

Usually I bid on too many things and expect to get outbid at the last minute on many of them, so my gripe is that I actually did a little too well tonight!
Owner/Winemaker - Grosgrain Vineyards, Walla Walla, WA - grosgrainvineyards.com

AndyK

#11 Post by AndyK » June 21st, 2020, 8:19 pm

Missed bidding this week, but the same thing happened last Sunday... I usually wait for the last seconds to submit. About 40s before the end, nothing was loading and I couldn’t update the bids.

The site also seemed to be slowing down the previous weeks, but not as bad.
k0berl

MikeL238

#12 Post by MikeL238 » June 21st, 2020, 8:25 pm

AndyK wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:19 pm
Missed bidding this week, but the same thing happened last Sunday... I usually wait for the last seconds to submit. About 40s before the end, nothing was loading and I couldn’t update the bids.

That's troubling if it's indeed a recurring problem.
Mike Leigh

Mike Ott
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Mike Ott » June 21st, 2020, 8:44 pm

That was very frustrating as I was trying to gift myself some Father’s Day treats. Although I could have just placed my high bids earlier today but what’s the fun in that?!

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Chris H. » June 21st, 2020, 8:52 pm

I was wondering what happened, I placed a few bids on Mike Smith wines, and heard nothing once the auctions closed...
H a r r i s

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Rich Brown » June 21st, 2020, 8:54 pm

MikeL238 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:25 pm
AndyK wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:19 pm

That's troubling if it's indeed a recurring problem.
It's been happening a LOT lately. I'd say the last 4 to 5 weeks at least, but tonight was by far the worst. I could not even refresh the site. Super frustrating for sure. I know the CEO was posting here quite a bit - hopefully he'll comment at some point.

RMann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by RMann » June 21st, 2020, 9:21 pm

Hi all, hope you are doing well and surviving the pandemic, especially for our friends in NYC. I sincerely hope that none of you, your families or your businesses have been directly or overly impacted. As Rich noted, I've been quiet on Berserkers for a while, but still checking in now and then. At WineBid, we made a lot of adjustments for our warehouse team to be safe, and our office team have been working from home for over 3 months. We've been very busy trying to support our consignors and buyers across the country with all the changing pickup and delivery situations in every state and city, as well as supporting restaurant workers with our Restaurant Workers Charity Foundation auction, where we raised and donated over $100K to support our friends in the hospitality industry.

You are all correct, we had a site issue this evening about 4 minutes to close. And in the prior weeks, we have had some slowing toward the end of auction. This may be because we have seen a large jump in new users and more people bidding at end of auction than ever before, and we are looking into the root cause of tonight's server error. The engineering team is running the final close processes now, and we will be honoring the standing winning bids at time of error, which was approximately 6:56pm. If you lost out on something you were bidding on or have other concerns or issues, feel free to email me directly at rmann@winebid.com or call/email customer service at service@winebid.com - easiest if you do both, because anything you email to me I will end up asking for their help to resolve. I will also be reaching out to everyone in this thread privately at some point during this week.

We owe you an explanation and will provide one when we have it. We greatly appreciate the enthusiasm and support the Wine Berserkers community has provided over the years and I am very frustrated that our site did not perform to it's usual gold standard this evening. Please accept my deep apology for disappointing you this evening, on Father's Day, and please email me directly so we can make this right.

Thanks so much.

-Russ
Russ Mann, CEO WineBid

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Rich Brown » June 21st, 2020, 10:14 pm

RMann wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:21 pm
Hi all, hope you are doing well and surviving the pandemic, especially for our friends in NYC. I sincerely hope that none of you, your families or your businesses have been directly or overly impacted. As Rich noted, I've been quiet on Berserkers for a while, but still checking in now and then. At WineBid, we made a lot of adjustments for our warehouse team to be safe, and our office team have been working from home for over 3 months. We've been very busy trying to support our consignors and buyers across the country with all the changing pickup and delivery situations in every state and city, as well as supporting restaurant workers with our Restaurant Workers Charity Foundation auction, where we raised and donated over $100K to support our friends in the hospitality industry.

You are all correct, we had a site issue this evening about 4 minutes to close. And in the prior weeks, we have had some slowing toward the end of auction. This may be because we have seen a large jump in new users and more people bidding at end of auction than ever before, and we are looking into the root cause of tonight's server error. The engineering team is running the final close processes now, and we will be honoring the standing winning bids at time of error, which was approximately 6:56pm. If you lost out on something you were bidding on or have other concerns or issues, feel free to email me directly at rmann@winebid.com or call/email customer service at service@winebid.com - easiest if you do both, because anything you email to me I will end up asking for their help to resolve. I will also be reaching out to everyone in this thread privately at some point during this week.

We owe you an explanation and will provide one when we have it. We greatly appreciate the enthusiasm and support the Wine Berserkers community has provided over the years and I am very frustrated that our site did not perform to it's usual gold standard this evening. Please accept my deep apology for disappointing you this evening, on Father's Day, and please email me directly so we can make this right.

Thanks so much.

-Russ
As always, a very classy and much appreciated response Russ. Really great to have you here/participating, as you definitley have many Winebid fans/long-term bidders on this board (myself included). Here's to hoping your developers can get to the root of the end-of-auction site issues so that we can all get back to our normal bidding strategies ;)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#18 Post by c fu » June 21st, 2020, 10:40 pm

For the buyers, i don't think it's a big issue, but as a seller i'd be a lil annoyed if bidding stopped during the most active moments.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Wes Barton » June 21st, 2020, 11:30 pm

Denial of service attack? I'd recommend looking at unusual big buyers who may have benefited.

I was there to play. It cost me a couple snipe opportunities, but may also have saved a couple winning bids I had. It surely cost sellers.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

T. Hall

#20 Post by T. Hall » June 22nd, 2020, 3:57 am

Wes Barton wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 11:30 pm
Denial of service attack? I'd recommend looking at unusual big buyers who may have benefited
Good thought Wes! There was a heightened level of nefarious attacks last week in general....
Tom Hall

Victor Hong

#21 Post by Victor Hong » June 22nd, 2020, 3:59 am

Wes Barton wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 11:30 pm
Denial of service attack? I'd recommend looking at unusual big buyers who may have benefited.

I was there to play. It cost me a couple snipe opportunities, but may also have saved a couple winning bids I had. It surely cost sellers.
If you won some bids unexpectedly, that would be a Denial of Denial attack.
WineHunter.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Michael Martin » June 22nd, 2020, 4:04 am

If you ever read the book the Alchemist, one of the lessons is to heed the omens. Maybe this all was a sign I should stop buying wine online.

Nah.

Victor Hong

#23 Post by Victor Hong » June 22nd, 2020, 4:20 am

Now, my Tracking list shows items which have already been sold. But I can still bid on them.
Last edited by Victor Hong on June 22nd, 2020, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
WineHunter.

Brian Crabtree

#24 Post by Brian Crabtree » June 22nd, 2020, 4:22 am

Checked early this morning and happy to see my tracking list has been restored.

Victor Hong

#25 Post by Victor Hong » June 22nd, 2020, 4:36 am

Victor Hong wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:20 am
Now, my Tracking list shows items which have already been sold. But I can still bid on them.
Well, I just bid on them, way below both their apparent sale price last night below their fair value. Let us see if I win too. neener

https://www.winebid.com/BuyWine/Item/74 ... -Sauvignon
WineHunter.

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Chris H. » June 22nd, 2020, 4:57 am

I checked my account this morning, and it looks like I won 4/5 bottles that I was bidding on (and frankly was counting on winning), so all is good on my end--except my credit card :-)
H a r r i s

RMann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by RMann » June 22nd, 2020, 7:50 am

Hi guys, glad to hear most of you got most of your bids (and maybe a few more than expected), and that your tracking lists have been restored. @Wes, I wish we could blame someone else but we won't. It was basically a Microsoft Azure scaling issue, caused by us. We had actually deployed some code meant to automatically scale up our cloud server capacity on Sunday nights because of the increased volumes we've been seeing, but it didn't trigger the scale up last night. We're looking into why that happened and of course are planning on fixing it so we have faster speeds in general! Hope this explanation is helpful. I'll still be reaching out to all of you privately as well. Happy bidding, tasting and sharing wines (safely-social distancing) and tasting notes. And feel free to reach out to me privately here or at my WineBid email address any time.
Russ Mann, CEO WineBid

Joe Raymond
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Joe Raymond » June 22nd, 2020, 7:52 am

I had wines up for sell and most of them sold at a price that I would expect them to sell at. I don’t feel like I lost money on the wines. This was the second week of them being on there so most of the wines that sold well above retail sold last week.
"That's what i do. I drink and I know things."

MikeL238

#29 Post by MikeL238 » June 22nd, 2020, 9:22 am

I was selling some bottles. Can't say whether the glitch affected overall sale, but it would have been nice to know that the auction ran its full course rather than shutting down in the midst of final bidding being placed.
Mike Leigh

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by JDavisRoby » June 22nd, 2020, 11:02 am

Also a seller. I was surprised when the usual last minute uptick didn’t happen.

My wines seems to be selling at suggested reserve with some of the daily drinkers now seeing a lowering of the reserve. Other sellers seeing the same thing?
Joshu@

Victor Hong

#31 Post by Victor Hong » June 22nd, 2020, 11:29 am

JDavisRoby wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 11:02 am

My wines seems to be selling at suggested reserve with some of the daily drinkers now seeing a lowering of the reserve. Other sellers seeing the same thing?
And the conspiracy begins....... neener
WineHunter.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Alan Rath » June 22nd, 2020, 12:59 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:

In my experience, that's pretty typical. At least for wines I tend to sell, they don't often generate a lot of counterbidding activity. Then again, I've had wines I didn't were particularly special generate a lot of interest. It all depends on if there are two or more people any given week who really want a particular bottle. None of this is a winebid issue, it's all dependent on what wines you're selling.

Since Russ is checking in here, I have mentioned once or twice that I think it would be better if the bid increments didn't suddenly take a jump when a wine crosses the price threshold. I've seen that throw cold water on an ongoing bidding war. Don't know if that's changed or not.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by NickRut » June 22nd, 2020, 1:01 pm

I wonder what percent of bids happen in the last 10 minutes?
Rutkowski

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 22nd, 2020, 1:51 pm

Hmm, here is where my approach worked, I always place early bets. Won a couple things last night.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

T. Williams

#35 Post by T. Williams » June 22nd, 2020, 3:43 pm

I too was pleasantly surprised to have a few winning bids this morning. Though I am a bottom feeder and not much of the plonk I bid on gets action like the big boys.
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Jayson Cohen » June 22nd, 2020, 4:15 pm

c fu wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:40 pm
For the buyers, i don't think it's a big issue, but as a seller i'd be a lil annoyed if bidding stopped during the most active moments.
I would have bid up a bottle if I had been able to get on. Although I also appreciate Russ’s owning the issue and that this kind of failure happens.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 22nd, 2020, 4:20 pm

T. Williams wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:43 pm
I too was pleasantly surprised to have a few winning bids this morning. Though I am a bottom feeder and not much of the plonk I bid on gets action like the big boys.
Ha, you sound like me. I love grabbing the daily drinkers.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Michael Martin » June 22nd, 2020, 5:05 pm

I got two older Aglianicos for a song. They had a lot of watchers so maybe the blackout saved me. I was waiting to make sure I got these two and was going to add a third bottle. So I got the two and the third I was going to bid on last night dropped $5. Better to be lucky than good.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by JDavisRoby » June 22nd, 2020, 5:14 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 12:59 pm
JDavisRoby wrote:

In my experience, that's pretty typical. At least for wines I tend to sell, they don't often generate a lot of counterbidding activity. Then again, I've had wines I didn't were particularly special generate a lot of interest. It all depends on if there are two or more people any given week who really want a particular bottle. None of this is a winebid issue, it's all dependent on what wines you're selling.

Since Russ is checking in here, I have mentioned once or twice that I think it would be better if the bid increments didn't suddenly take a jump when a wine crosses the price threshold. I've seen that throw cold water on an ongoing bidding war. Don't know if that's changed or not.
I’m not that worried about it. Probably cost me not more than $10-15.
Joshu@

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Warren Taranow » June 22nd, 2020, 7:55 pm

Two time loser; I lost on both ends. I was selling bottles. I was also a buyer and when someone sniped the '09 Vilmart Rubis I had bid on early, I couldn't up my bid to reclaim them. Annoying, but a first world problem, and stuff happens. I won't die of thirst (or alcohol withdrawal) any time soon.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

RMann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by RMann » June 24th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Hi all, I'm back again. Thanks for your kind comments and patience with us. We have significantly upped our Microsoft Azure capacity and doing scale-up on Friday rather than Sunday. And we have some inkling that there might have been some fault on their side on Sunday night. But at the end of the day, that doesn't matter to you all or your experience. We sincerely apologize if you lost out on a bottle (or won more than you expected), and also for the sellers, if you feel you lost some extra margin on your sales. We always have some staff watching every Sunday night and you can bet this Sunday our tech team will be monitoring very closely.

To Alan's point, we've reviewed the bid increments and they are generally set at about 10%, although the $100 mark goes from $1 bid increments to $10 bid increments, which quickly sorts out the people who really want the wine vs folks who are having fun bidding in $1 increments.

To some of the comments above, I am happy to provide the hints that bidding earlier in the week and setting your max bids early helps in many ways- first bid often wins the item, having a max bid set early helps dissuade snipers, and it also helps prevent your "chasing" a bottle at the last moment.

Thanks for your understanding and support and feel free to contact me here at any time or directly at rmann@winebid.com Stay safe and healthy, and happy tasting and sharing.
Russ Mann, CEO WineBid

jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by jordan jacobs » June 24th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Thanks Russ. It is so great to see a class act in this industry.

My bidding strategy is a little of both. If it is a more expensive bottle (say over $450) I will tend to bid early for the reasons Russ mentioned and Alan as due to the bid increments. If I open the bidding at $650 I believe it will take $25+ to place the winning bid. So if I occupy the opening bid and the next bid, I usually win. However on the smaller bottles where I can increase my bid at the last minute by a dollar or a few dollars I will snipe.

I lost out on my ability to bid on a handful of bottles last week but when it comes to auctions and wines I always sum it up to -if it was meant to be it was meant to be. It was meant to be....

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Michael Martin » June 24th, 2020, 5:33 pm

RMann wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 4:50 pm
Hi all, I'm back again. Thanks for your kind comments and patience with us. We have significantly upped our Microsoft Azure capacity and doing scale-up on Friday rather than Sunday. And we have some inkling that there might have been some fault on their side on Sunday night. But at the end of the day, that doesn't matter to you all or your experience. We sincerely apologize if you lost out on a bottle (or won more than you expected), and also for the sellers, if you feel you lost some extra margin on your sales. We always have some staff watching every Sunday night and you can bet this Sunday our tech team will be monitoring very closely.

To Alan's point, we've reviewed the bid increments and they are generally set at about 10%, although the $100 mark goes from $1 bid increments to $10 bid increments, which quickly sorts out the people who really want the wine vs folks who are having fun bidding in $1 increments.

To some of the comments above, I am happy to provide the hints that bidding earlier in the week and setting your max bids early helps in many ways- first bid often wins the item, having a max bid set early helps dissuade snipers, and it also helps prevent your "chasing" a bottle at the last moment.

Thanks for your understanding and support and feel free to contact me here at any time or directly at rmann@winebid.com Stay safe and healthy, and happy tasting and sharing.
Thank you. Your transparency is very much appreciated.

RMann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by RMann » June 28th, 2020, 7:22 pm

I hope everyone had a great night tonight. From our end, with the adjustments we made, the site was positively screaming. A lot of the team was on hand to make sure everything was smooth. And we have a TON of wine coming up in the next few weeks- make sure to check in every week, and every day- we're starting to release more and more new wines each day- you never know what might pop up. Happy tasting and sharing! -Russ
Russ Mann, CEO WineBid

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by AD Northup » June 28th, 2020, 7:24 pm

RMann wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 7:22 pm
I hope everyone had a great night tonight. From our end, with the adjustments we made, the site was positively screaming. A lot of the team was on hand to make sure everything was smooth. And we have a TON of wine coming up in the next few weeks- make sure to check in every week, and every day- we're starting to release more and more new wines each day- you never know what might pop up. Happy tasting and sharing! -Russ
Worked great for me tonight, cleaning up my “Max” bid 10 seconds out
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Michael Martin » June 28th, 2020, 7:33 pm

RMann wrote:
Worked great. Thank you for everything. [cheers.gif]

RMann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by RMann » June 28th, 2020, 7:34 pm

AD Northup wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 7:24 pm
RMann wrote:
Worked great for me tonight, cleaning up my “Max” bid 10 seconds out
[cheers.gif]
Russ Mann, CEO WineBid

RMann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by RMann » June 28th, 2020, 7:34 pm

[cheers.gif]
Michael Martin wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 7:33 pm
RMann wrote:
Russ Mann, CEO WineBid

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by J.Vizuete » June 29th, 2020, 7:54 am

RMann wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 7:34 pm
[cheers.gif]
Michael Martin wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 7:33 pm
RMann wrote:
I wanted to point out that from Russ's transparency and personal attention to the courtesy of the customer service staff, Winebid is a class-act company that I will continue to use enthusiastically!

Russ, am I reading that correctly that you are adding bottles during the week? It has become a Sunday night ritual in my house to peruse the new week's offerings with a glass in hand, but really that's the one time a week I look at new listings. How do you decide on what to list later and is this a new policy/practice?
John

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by R. Frankel » June 29th, 2020, 9:01 am

Yes, thanks Russ, info is nice to see. I got sniped at the last second last night but also won a few auctions. All as it should be. Thank goodness for sniping, otherwise I’d buy wayyyy too much!
Rich Frankel

Return to “Wine Talk”