TN: 2016 Peay Vineyards Pinot Noir Scallop Shelf Estate

• 2016 Peay Vineyards Pinot Noir Scallop Shelf Estate - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (6/21/2020)
    Someone on CellarTracker said “underripe fruit.” Not sure what the hell they are talking about, as it has plenty of ripe, red fruit, it’s just not overripe/jammy. It also has structure, which is anathema to some tasters. I like it a lot, but want to wait a few years to have another bottle, as it’s a bit too primary for me right now.

Posted from CellarTracker

This bottle is always a favorite of mine

I think you nailed the problem a lot of people have when they first taste Peay Pinots. People have gotten used to so many California Pinots that are so big and in your face that they don’t know to look for or appreciate subtlety and nuance. Big Pinots are not necessarily bad, they’re just different. I love Peay Pinots but have learned to be cognizant of the audience when deciding for whom to pour them.

I’m nowhere near 2016, though. Currently working my way through 2012s.

Jeff Bloom hit the nail on the head on the issue. I like both and there is a time for both, once you gain the appreciation for Pinot’s range. Some people get stuck on one style which is perfectly fine.