Drinking much 2005 red Burgundy?

How do you think they’re doing … Bourgogne vs village vs 1er cru vs Grands Cru? I’m in no rush, have pretty much left them alone in the cellar, plenty of other wines to drink in the meantime (and consuming less anyway these days to stay out of atrial fibrillation - see previous thread), but wondering about prevailing views.

1 Like

Nowhere near ready. Giving mine 5-10 more in the cellar. Potel seems to be one exception.

1 Like

I beg to differ. Had a great 2005 Fourrier Chambolle Villages the other day.

I agree with David. I’ve had some lieu-dit and village wines that were drinking very nicely. A recent bottle of Gevrey “Les Evocelles”, de la Vougeraie was super.

1 Like

I am finding that a lot of wines are starting to be ready to drink - Bourgogne Rouges, some villages level wine, and Savigny les Beaune Premier Crus, for example. Other higher end wines are getting drinkable in that the acidity is not as harsh as it used to be, but are still primary. I had a couple of Clos St. Denis wines (Jouan and Drouhin) that we’re quite enjoyable but not yet mature.

2 Likes

I had a Jadot dominode recently that wasn’t even close to ready.

1 Like

You can drink the village wines now. Vogue/Mugnier chambolle both showing incredibly well.
A

Yeah, but that’s Jadot.

1 Like

I haven’t even thought about 2005 Burgs to open, thanks for starting this and seeing a peek of what folks have tasted.

Anyone drank any really high end wines like Rouget CP or Perrot Minot CdB? Won’t even ask about Jadot Bonnes Mares.

1 Like

I did have an awesome bottle of Nicolas Rossignol Chevret recently tho

2 Likes

Lafarge Volnay 1er Cru…ready to go…whereas the 96s and 99s have a ways to go
The 93s are excellent now.

3 Likes

Recent 05 Bachelet Gevrey VV needed a decade+

Some of the village wines and less fancy appellations are “ready” in the sense that they aren’t shut down or punishing to drink from a structural perspective, but they’re still not very evolved or offering any kind of a payoff for all the time you’ve put into cellaring them. Keep holding, there are plenty of other vintages to drink.

2 Likes

I had both last week and I wouldn’t agree with that at all, especially the Vogue - though that wine may never be ready, per house style. I thought it was lean, angular and not all that pleasant and called it a Vogue blind.

In general, based on a lineup of about 7 05 blinds last week, the conclusion was to drink 02s.

1 Like

Jadot wines always take a long time to be mature.

Mugnier Marechale this week was also good to go.

1 Like

Different strokes I guess. You are the only person I’ve heard to refer to the recent house style as lean and angular. I hear that a lot for the 80s and 90s. But the more recent wines for me have been good on release even. Sounds like it’s not your thing.
A

I feel like that wine has been surprisingly open for the duration. Kind of my taste case for ‘05 since it should be closed and I happen to have a lot of it, but it’s always been enjoyable.

Yeah I had a rion chambolle earlier this year that just wasn’t showing much.

de Vogue openly states they make wines for the long haul rather than for early drinking, so I’m probably not the only person to think of them that way.

If you like them, good for you.