2008 Dom Perignon Serving Suggestion

Planning to open another 2008 DP tonight and that got me thinking about everyone’s preference when it comes to serving. Last couple of bottles were just PnP out of the cellar into a Champagne flute.

Optimal Temperature

• Straight out of the cellar
  • Fridge time
  • Room temp time out of the cellar

Air time

• PnP
  • Open early and let breathe

Preferred Glass

• Champagne flute
  • Grassl Mineralite
  • White glass

I’m literally opening the same bottle tonight for our anniversary, will follow this!

I’d pop n Small pour into a Mineralite or white glass, because come on you need some now! Then I’d put in the fridge To put a slight chill on it. After that we leave them out to watch as the wine temp changes. No question you get more fruit and geeky with the wine as it warms up, but we enjoy with a refreshing chill as well. This way we usually run the whole gamut of experience.

I won’t even pour Prosecco into a flute. They’re a terrible vessel for serving bubbly imho.

Just to be clear the Champagne flutes I’m discussing are not the old school tall and skinny variety.

Take out of the fridge, pour into a white wine glass and then drink 20-30 mins later. If you drink it too cold the acid will be overwhelming. The air time will open it up nicely.

Pop straight outta fridge. Let it air/warm for 20-30 mins.

Glasvin Or ggg glasses work well for bubbly.

I like my champs a bit warmer side like 65 degrees. Open, take sip and Air for 30min or so. Drink. Sometimes I even put them in a decanter and back in to bottle.

That’s warmer than I drink many of my reds. I find even cellar temp too warm for champagne, at least to start. 65 degree is not at all for me, but I understand why you might do that. champagne.gif

champagne.gif

I’ve never had a champagne I could imagine drinking at that temp. The mind boggles.

these threads always lead to myriad and never uniform or consistent opinions. But they are fun to read.

This is more or less what I do.

Just opened mine an hour ago. Definitely needs to be at cellar temp (or dare I say, close to room temp) to really shine right now. I find it pretty austere at the moment.

[thumbs-up.gif] [highfive.gif]

Happy Anniversary!

I agree. I threw it in the fridge for about an hour because it was in my warmer cellar area at 59 degrees. Right out of the bottle I compared it to coiled steel. Now it’s been open for 1.5 hours and it’s warmed up a bit and opened up and it’s perfect. I’m guessing it’s in the 65 degree range.