Pre-TN: 1999 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Elisabeth Salmon Brut Rosé Millesime

A bottle of this wine unexpectedly showed up in my much more modest cache of Champagne due to the (sometimes) generous winds of chance. I do not know if this is past prime, but it will probably be consumed in the near future. Any recent experience with this? Any special serving advice?

Jim,

This is their tete de cuvee. I opened a bottle of 2000 back in 2014 and it tasted like it was near the end of it’s life. I’m not really sure what to think of their top wines. I haven’t had one that aged well. Even the Cuvee Nicolas seemed like it was oxidized from the 6 pack that I bought. I wonder if their “house style” is the more oxidative which in my mind limits their agreeability. If you have others…I would drink them sooner rather than later. Sounds like a good reason to fill the fridge with your remaining bottles.

Thanks Kirk. Its a solo bottle and kind of a “freebie”. I picked up (and paid for) a couple of the NV Brut Rose “on sale” a year or two ago. When I went to put one in the fridge this morning, I noticed for the first time that one of the two was actually this bottling. Surprised to say the least. I will set my expectations low and hope for the best. (And have a backup ready)

As for their regular NV Rose…that ages better than the Cuvee Elisabeth Salmon in my thoughts.

Thanks, Kirk, good to know that about the NV Rose.