Love Old Burgundy - Another Round of Aged Maume

We have been fortunate to learn from others many many years ago to purchase good quality red burgundies and let them age. The other night we smoked(cherry & pecan wood) a couple of NY strip steaks that had good but not great fat marbling. None the less the smoke made its way into the steak during a hot smoke process of about 1hr 15min and to an internal steak temperature of 130F. The previous night I set out a 1995 Domaine Maume Mazis Chambertin. On opening the cork was intact with a wine soak line about half way down the cork. A sippy sip to make sure it was good confirmed we were in for a treat. This wine has a floral-cedar nose. In the mouth this wine sports a medium to full body with red and black bramble fruits over the slight cedar underlayment. Balanced acidity with the fruit leading to great length. Minimal bricking and fruit strength suggests this wine will live on for years to come. Lucky me we have another stored in a cool environment along with a couple of Maume GC premier crus from the same year. My spouse wrote up a bit on the following history of this domaine … EnoViti: 1995 Mazis-Chambertin Domaine Maume

Nice to hear 95’s in general are maturing. I have not opened one in several years.

I think the Maume wines changed style after Bertand’s father passed…maybe after 2001 or so? I liked the old wines a lot, but they got weird after that, seeming oakier and with a weird, peachy note almost like Viognier in many vintages. It was also one of the stranger places to visit on the Kermit Lynch trip, I can tell you that.

How about the latest one with Tawse Mazis ?

I’ve had the 83, 85, and 88 Maume Mazi in the last year or so and they have developed into great wines drinking at peak now.

I discovered Maume in march 2009 …

Domaine Maume Mazis-Chambertin 2009 : 18,5/20
A really great Burgundy, giving the best of what pinot noir can give in termes of elegance (aromas, structure) and length …