Remoissenet

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know what’s everyone’s take on Remoissenet?
I have an old Romanee St.Vivant that I got years ago when I did not know anything about Burgundy and just curious about it.

Thanks!

JF

I had a 59 Clos Vougeot about 17 years ago. The bottle may have been refreshed and was very enjoyable but younger than expected.

I opened a magnum of 49 Richebourg about ten years ago, tasted a bit younger than expected but was OK

I have had several bottles of 1967 Close de Beze, and 1979 Volnay. They were a bit simple and seemed young (refreshed ???). The 1967 Beze was very good but not great, a one note wine. Lacking in complexity or spice.

ullage and taste indicate to me that a lot of the older ones were indeed refreshed with younger wine, though I’ve heard that denied. I’m not a big fan but have had some good ones. I can’t speak to the more recent vintages.

I had a number of ‘66, ‘69 and ‘71s back in the day. They were fine (not great, but fine) examples of Burgundy of the period. I don’t know whether they were “refreshed”, but the were certainly then-recently labeled. I purchase most of these wines in the early 80’s as I recall

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

JF

I would love to know the story about these old Remoissenet wines that have been released over the last 30 or so years. I’ve had a number of them as well, and they do indeed seem just a bit too “fresh” for their own good. The last bottle I had was a '64 Chambertin that you would have thought would have a touch of brown on the rim, but it was still bright purple - hhhhmmmm

Only have experience with a late release (2017) 1983 Musigny Vieilles Vignes during a tasting in 2018. The wine was a bit disappointing and we were wondering if it was 100% Pinot Noir or if they refreshed with a bit of Syrah or something…

1 Like

I recently very much enjoyed a non-reconditioned 1967 Chambolle-Musigny. I also went to a Remoissenet tasting hosted by Pierre Rovani last year and thought the wines were quite sound. However, I found Rovani and his opinions to be so unpalatable that I wound up buying nothing and am strongly disinclined to buy anything further from them, especially when there’s already too much to buy.

1 Like

sounds like a new thread, and an interesting one.

LOL, perhaps Pierre himself could use some refreshing.

wonder if he still is a chain smoker. That’s got to be great for one’s palate and taste discernment.

Ah, but Alan, Harry Waugh and all those old British wine writers were all smokers back then. I always wondered about their palates as well, but they seemed be able to taste with the best -

It could be, or it could be additional [popcorn.gif] for the boycott thread. In addition to general comments about how he bought the winery to try and extract as much money as possible from it (fine, but maybe don’t tell your audience you’re trying to bilk them to make back your investment), he semi-covertly/semi-openly espoused 1930s era views on women and minorities and immigrants. It was thanks to him that I learned about the Montille controversy, but he went and put himself in the same bucket to me. It was a bit like watching a movie from the 60s/70s/80s where the dialog hasn’t aged well at all.

We found the wines at the tasting to be a little over the map - some weren’t very good (thin/weak/a little bitter), some were good, some were very good. None were outstanding. Many of the good and very good weren’t quite worth their price points - we were only going to pick up half a case in total, but then he kept talking and talking and talking. The 1967 Chambolle-Musigny we had was very good, but who’s to say whether the new wines are being made in a similar style and will age as gracefully?

They are a really all over the place as far as quality and had relationships with both good and mediocre growers. Back in Kodak’s heyday, their European plant was in Burgundy in Chalon sur Saone. Century Liquor in Rochester was across the street from Kodak and used to direct import their wine and their owner had a great relationship with them. Any wine that Sherwood personally vouched to me as being their “good stuff” that I have purchased and opened was sublime. Today Kodak is gone and Wegmans purchased Century to thumb their nose at NY prohibition on no wine in grocery stores. After that happened I stopped buying Remoissenet but have great memories of wines like their 64 Clos Vougeot. [cheers.gif]

3 Likes

[winner.gif]

You taste through the smoke. When I quit smoking it took me 6-9 months to get me palate back

Way back in 1983, I was in a wedding that served 1969 Remoissenet Richebourg. It was spectacular.

I went to a party at Remoissenet before PA took over. Talk about smoke. I thought I was going to die.

1 Like