Covid Era: Overnight shipping

Has anyone actually had an overnight shipment delayed? K&L recently told me that nothing is guaranteed anymore and therefore if FedEx doesn’t deliver in 1-day, I won’t get refunded for the shipping.

A) This seems kind of ridiculous given that if it’s delivered in 2 days, I should be credited the difference for overnight minus 2-day (which is like 100 bucks on a case of wine), so is this actually accurate? I understand not being willing to refund it fully if it’s no longer a guaranteed 1-day service, but surely I wouldn’t be expected to pay for something I didn’t get when the 2-day service is significantly cheaper and I could’ve just paid for that to begin with… Or is this - as Dave Chappelle said - like Evil Knievel where FedEx gets paid for the attempt?

B) Has anyone actually experienced an overnight package being held up for several days? K&L also says they don’t ship with cold packs (rolleyes) which makes me kind of nervous.

I’ll probably have them hold it until there’s moderate weather in 3/3 of Oakland, Memphis and DC (the usual route), but really just curious if anyone has actually had an overnight package delayed and this is just CYA just in case, or if this is actually a commonplace occurrence. I do know that ground shipments have been running a few days behind in some locations, but I’m specifically worried about overnight shipments in this case.

not wine but the coffee I ordered is taking forever to get here and vendor says FedEx and others are slow walking all . . .

If you don’t absolutely need it, don’t ship it. The network is better than it was in March/April, but still nowhere near what it ‘used to be’.

Have had many shipments delayed. None were wine, but some beer that should have taken 2 days in normal times took 7 (twice).
My Flannery order was right on time though
If you don’t want to pay for overnight that is not guaranteed, then don’t.

None of the shipping companies are able to meet their commitments right now it seems.

Trucks are wildly overloaded - packages out for delivery in the early AM never arrive. That’s true for UPS and FedEx.

My regular UPS guy looks like he was run over by a truck…his truck.

Shipping from overseas has been crazy too. I thought I’d try Square Mile coffee from London. It took 2 days to reach the US and has been sitting in Chicago, I’m assuming with customs, for 6 weeks.

I’ve found all deliveries these days are often quite delayed. FedEx, UPS, USPS, and Amazon. So I would not count on anything arriving close to prior expectations for times. If the terms have changed, as you note, no reason to expect them to still guarantee 1 or 2 day but pretty sure they do prioritize those. While I would not ship any wine right now, if I paid for 1 day I would only do so if I was OK if it took 2 days knowing what I paid. Or maybe if I paid for 2 days and it took 3 I’d need to be cool with that.

Have had multiple delays for domestic overnight wine shipping for Zoom tastings. Too few datapoints thus far, but seems to be (i) avoid holidays and (ii) certain addresses have more problems than others.

I’m just having all of my fedex and ups wine deliveries held at the local distribution hubs, and then do the 10 minute drive to pick them up myself. They get there early in the morning, and there’s no risk of them sitting in the back of the truck all day and then not delivering until the next. Has worked well this far.

I’m in CA so we have the GSO option (Golden State Overnight) and its always next day. I prefer that wine does not ship until the weather cools although we are in full blown June gloom in SoCal with overcast for a large portion of the day.

One of FedEx’s old slogans was The World on Time, so perhaps now instead of running on atomic clocks, they are using old grandfather clocks?

We just had a package from Asia arrive yesterday that we assume had been lost/stolen/trapped in customs. I think it was supposed to have gotten here in April and we had forgotten about it.

It’s getting hot, so I would suggest avoiding shipping.

Overnight shipping has been consistent here in California and have also shipped stuff overnight without issue to New Mexico. It is taking a bit longer for places like K&L to put the order together but once it ships, timing has been true.

We only ship caviar overnight and we have had one issue with it not being delivered overnight in the past few months. We were credited for the shipping charge.

I have had almost every shipment of non wine items delayed. Wine? So far all on time. It is a crazy time.