Aubert Fall Release - Save the Date

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
J. Rock

Re: Aubert Fall Release - Save the Date

#51 Post by J. Rock » July 30th, 2020, 8:11 pm

I've never had the appellation Chardonnays. Do they still stand out as wine of exceptional quality / better than most [CA] Chard, or are they a bit more of "very good, but nothing too special"?
J o r d a n

OwenB
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by OwenB » September 16th, 2020, 9:45 am

I just got a first time offer for some of the '19 Sonoma Coast Chard ($65) to "tide you over until we can offer you a full selection". Thoughts?
    8 A $ H A

Scott Jameson
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#53 Post by Scott Jameson » September 16th, 2020, 10:06 am

OwenB wrote:
    September 16th, 2020, 9:45 am
    I just got a first time offer for some of the '19 Sonoma Coast Chard ($65) to "tide you over until we can offer you a full selection". Thoughts?
    Buy what you're offered ! We are big fans of the Aubert Appellation wines. They are definitely Aubert in style and while they may not reach the heights of the Single Vineyard bottlings, they're not far behind. They age well too, as we enjoyed a delicious 2013 Carneros Chardonnay last night.

By the way, the 2019 Sonoma Coast hasn't been released to the mailing list yet, at least as far as I can tell. The last offer I received, in July, included the 2018 Carneros and 2019 Russian River Appellation Chardonnays, but not the 2019 Sonoma Coast.

Nicholas C

#54 Post by Nicholas C » September 16th, 2020, 10:39 am

OwenB wrote:
    I just got the same email, was offered 9 but only took 3.
    Haven't tried the wines before, but excited to!

Here is what I could find on the '19 Sonoma Coast Chard
    http://www.chamberswines.com/downloads/ ... donnay.pdf
    [ 0 0 p 3 r

Mark Morrissette
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#55 Post by Mark Morrissette » September 16th, 2020, 10:55 am

OwenB wrote:
    From speaking with them a few years ago, they mentioned to me that people not yet on the list who take these "tide you over" offers (which they seem to offer in some form or another most years), definitely move you up the list more quickly. In my own experience, I took one of those offers a few years back, and had an allocation on the next release.

Nicholas C

#56 Post by Nicholas C » September 16th, 2020, 10:59 am

Mark Morrissette wrote:
    September 16th, 2020, 10:55 am
    OwenB wrote:
    From speaking with them a few years ago, they mentioned to me that people not yet on the list who take these "tide you over" offers (which they seem to offer in some form or another most years), definitely move you up the list more quickly. In my own experience, I took one of those offers a few years back, and had an allocation on the next release.
    I assumed that was the case. Thanks for the insight

How are their entry Sonoma Coast Chardonnays we were offered. Obviously made from younger vines. Good quality for the price?
    [ 0 0 p 3 r

Mattias Jansson

#57 Post by Mattias Jansson » September 17th, 2020, 8:08 pm

Nicholas C wrote:
    September 16th, 2020, 10:59 am

How are their entry Sonoma Coast Chardonnays we were offered. Obviously made from younger vines. Good quality for the price?
    I’ve been on the list since the ‘04 vintage and this is my take. (Assuming you like these types of wines, of course.)

The appellation Chardonnays are excellent wines and good value for the money. The single vineyard wines are even better and well worth the higher price.

So, it depends on what your constraint is: if you only have access to the appellation wine (or very limited access to the single vineyard wines) I’d recommend buying without hesitation. But, if your single vineyard allocation is plentiful I’d recommend first buying as many of those as you can afford, and then add appellation wines if there’s room in your budget. Perhaps to have a few bottles that you’ll feel good opening without there being a special occasion...

There is also the release schedule and how much you like the Pinots to consider. All but one of the single vineyard wines are released together early in the year. The appellation Chardonnay is released together with the Hudson Chard and the Pinots in the fall. If you’re mainly interested in the Chards, the appellation wine can help get your fall shipment to a good size to minimize the per-bottle shipping cost.

markjchambers

#58 Post by markjchambers » September 18th, 2020, 9:05 am

I signed up for Aubert about two years ago. I was offered a "tide you over" lot of 6 SV 2017 Chards which I took. A year later, I got a full a full allocation of Chards and I got
    all of the pinots in this Fall release. So the wait is not long. Knowing how good the SV Chards are, I would think the Sonoma Coast would be a good value @$65.

Nicholas C

#59 Post by Nicholas C » September 18th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Thanks Mattias and Mark for your replies, very insightful!
    [ 0 0 p 3 r

Return to “Wine Talk”