Ever boycott a winery?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

Ever boycott a winery?

#1 Post by Matthew King » June 16th, 2020, 11:32 am

Honest question: Have you ever boycotted a winery you once supported because of their business practices or politics?

I ask because today I emptied my shopping cart after nearly buying some back-vintage Rhys Skyline Syrah.

I think the wine is one of the best CA Syrahs out there and they won’t be making anymore of it.

However, I am torn because It doesn’t feel right (to ME!) to support a winery that has paid $3M fines for bulldozing protected wetlands, illegally filling in streams with dirt in Mendocino County and other environmental rules in an important watershed.

I’m not here to retry that case, which has been settled.

I am here to ask if you’ve faced a similar quandary.

I know some people never forgave Hubert de Montille in Burgundy for his insensitive comments about 9/11.

Some friends don’t buy Firestone Walker beers because a related family trust are big Trump supporters.

Similarly, many people will no longer watch Woody Allen movies because of allegations that he molested his daughter.

Are you able to separate your purchasing decisions about a given product from the person/people who created it?

It’s a slippery slope ... why am I targeting Rhys when I still willingly buy other products made/delivered with harmful labor and environmental practices , e.g. Amazon warehouses, meat packing plants, iPhone factories, Nike sweatshops, etc.

It’s a complex question. All I know is I couldn’t buy the bottles of Rhys today.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Matthew King on June 16th, 2020, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Ever boycott a winery?

#2 Post by Jeff_M. » June 16th, 2020, 11:43 am

[popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif]
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet

Bill G

#3 Post by Bill G » June 16th, 2020, 11:44 am

Yep. I avoid anything that Chuck Wagner touches. In general, I am finding myself supporting more of the smaller guys and up & comers. Better customer service and more appreciation for my purchases.
G u t k n e c h t

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 16th, 2020, 11:50 am

de Montille

Wasnt it Hubert who made the comments?
Last edited by Mich@el Ch@ng on June 16th, 2020, 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jeff Rosenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Jeff Rosenberg » June 16th, 2020, 12:00 pm

I am no longer a Pax customer after their recent BLM email. I don’t need any social activism. They should stick with making and selling wine.

S teve R edenbaugh
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by S teve R edenbaugh » June 16th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Wine Spectator and Jordan Winery for their recently reported financial support of Donald Trump. Chick-Fil-A for their Christian fundamentalist support.

Victor Hong

#7 Post by Victor Hong » June 16th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Bill G wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:44 am
Yep. I avoid anything that Chuck Wagner touches............
Are oak forests disappearing, just like rain forests?
WineHunter.

Jim Brennan

#8 Post by Jim Brennan » June 16th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Nope.

RogerHarui
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by RogerHarui » June 16th, 2020, 12:14 pm

The only winery that I can actually say that I boycotted was Bressan in Italy. There are a number of wineries that have owners/winemakers with political views that I don't agree with, but I wouldn't say that I boycott them. I just take my money to wineries that better align with my views.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 16th, 2020, 12:17 pm

I won't buy Fess Parker because of how he treated his son Israel, and Mingo too.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Paul Flynn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Paul Flynn » June 16th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Yes. Justin.
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

roybehr

#12 Post by roybehr » June 16th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Constellation, for their total dishonesty about Tokalon.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Cris Whetstone » June 16th, 2020, 12:24 pm

There is a lot of great wine in the world. It's pretty easy to ignore purchasing certain labels. I can't even buy all the ones I want to.
Last edited by Cris Whetstone on June 16th, 2020, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by HoosJustinG » June 16th, 2020, 12:25 pm

When it comes to artists/musicians/etc, I separate the art from the artist without any problem. Michael Jackson isn’t less talented because of his personal shortcomings (especially so given that his were probably the result of mental illness that may not have even been under his control).

When it comes to businesses, I’m happy to avoid supporting business that commit what I consider to be egregious bad acts. I try and give grace, because as a business owner myself, I understand that nobody is perfect and I won’t claim that we always strike the right chord in our messaging. But we’ve also never said something like “there’s fine people” at a klan rally, so... hopefully people give us some grace too.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Jonathan Loesberg

#15 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » June 16th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:17 pm
I won't buy Fess Parker because of how he treated his son Israel, and Mingo too.
Don't forget that he also fought at the Alamo for the Texas Republic, which was largely motivated by the desire to make Texas a slave state.

R. Somerville

#16 Post by R. Somerville » June 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Similarly, many people will no longer watch Woody Allen movies because of allegations that he molested his daughter.
ALLEDGED. That for a start. If proven then game on.

Jeez, once the righteous peoples court gets going where does it end?

Anyway, where does the human race get off on a moralistic level in the last million years?

There's many things we all despise and abhor, but bringing politics etc into our wine buying decisions seems a tad far fetched.

Having said that I do understand your horror at this winery abusing and totally disregarding an important watershed - being a lifelong trout fisherman that boils my piss!

So I guess I've just unraveled my original argument! [scratch.gif]
Last edited by R. Somerville on June 16th, 2020, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Matthew King » June 16th, 2020, 12:34 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:50 am
de Montille

Wasnt it Hubert who made the comments?
You are correct. Fixed. Thx
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

theocorrel

#18 Post by theocorrel » June 16th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Absolutely. And I agree with you 100% on Rhys.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 16th, 2020, 12:38 pm

I guess the way I see it if you ignore what you consider bad behavior by a person or business, you’re enabling it. If you let the papa john’s guy be racist and keep buying his pizza and running his ads, then he’s not encouraged to change. I’m not a huge fan of cancel culture and internet Lynch mobs but I do feel like I’m not going to support businesses/ppl with my money if I’m offended by their behavior.

Jonathan Loesberg

#20 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » June 16th, 2020, 12:50 pm

R. Somerville wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm
ALLEDGED. That for a start. If proven then game on.

Jeez, once the righteous peoples court gets going where does it end?

Anyway, where does the human race get off on a moralistic level in the last million years?

There's many things we all despise and abhor, but brining politics etc into our wine buying decisions seems a tad far fetched.

Having said that I do understand your horror at this winery abusing and totally disregarding an important watershed - being a lifelong trout fisherman that boils my piss!

So I guess I've just unraveled my original argument! [scratch.gif]
History is full of great artists who were detestable human beings. As an art lover, I think it is cutting of my nose to spite my face not to appreciate their art. But, first, the issue is different with living artists. My pleasure in a Cellini statue or (in a lesser example) a Dickens novel, doesn't enrich either of them. The cases of Woody Allen and Roman Polanski are not the same. If one dislikes their morals or ethics, it is coherent to boycott them. Second, personal boycotts are, well, personal. So I don't know that I would criticize someone for a)judging the evidence against Allen to be credible and b)deciding that one does not wish to give him money. That said, I wish someone would distribute Roman Polanski's Officer and a Gentleman in this country.

Victor Hong

#21 Post by Victor Hong » June 16th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Trump Winery.
WineHunter.

Anthony C

#22 Post by Anthony C » June 16th, 2020, 12:56 pm

I've never understood corporate activism. Just seems like bad business to alienate half your customers for something unrelated to the business. I know some get bullied into "picking a side"; but I do respect the ones that stand their ground.

As for boycotting wineries, I only boycott the ones that act like pretentious jerks when I visited or that have crappy wine.
C u r t a s

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food." -- W. C. Fields

Sean S y d n e y

#23 Post by Sean S y d n e y » June 16th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Cancel culture is not "experiencing consequences for your behaviour", FYI.

Specific to wine, I boycott Norman Hardie wines here in Ontario because he sexually harassed his staff and then put out a total piss-ant "apology" where he took zero actual responsibility for his actions. However, my partner's family lives in that wine region and whenever we drive by, the winery attached to the restaurant's parking lot is jammed full. Maybe others don't care, but like other folks here have said, there sure as hell is a lot of wine to buy that doesn't come from people who behave in ways I think are abhorrent.

I don't respect companies or individuals who stand their ground when that ground is planted with the seeds of bigotry, personally.
Instagram: @seansydney

Anthony C

#24 Post by Anthony C » June 16th, 2020, 1:02 pm

I meant standing their ground on neutrality, not whatever they are doing wrong.
C u r t a s

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food." -- W. C. Fields

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Dan Hammer » June 16th, 2020, 1:22 pm

After I watched a video where Kapcsandy said retarded, I blew them off.
This space for rent.

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#26 Post by Dave McIsaac » June 16th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Bill G wrote:
Yep. I avoid anything that Chuck Wagner touches. In general, I am finding myself supporting more of the smaller guys and up & comers. Better customer service and more appreciation for my purchases.
And we thank you for your sacrifice! [snort.gif]

Neal,

OP posted about Woody Allen allegedly molesting his daughter, and you missed it - get with it, Man!

Rich S did step up to the plate in your absence
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Andrew Gold

#27 Post by Andrew Gold » June 16th, 2020, 1:27 pm

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:00 pm
I am no longer a Pax customer after their recent BLM email. I don’t need any social activism. They should stick with making and selling wine.
Care to expand on what the email contained?

Victor Hong

#28 Post by Victor Hong » June 16th, 2020, 1:31 pm

I boycott Lafleur, Ponsot, Domaine Romanee Conti, and other French wineries which have not vouched for the impeccable, utterly impeccable integrity of Rudy Kurniawan, John Kapon, Allen Meadows, or Gil Lempert-Schwarz.
WineHunter.

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by R M Kriete » June 16th, 2020, 1:35 pm

So glad no one is examining each and every one of my actions. I'd be afraid my wife would boycott me. Might be a good idea to consider some sage advice... "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". [wink.gif]

H Guy

#30 Post by H Guy » June 16th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Alpha Omega due to a certain minority investor.
H a r v e y G

SZZimmermann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by SZZimmermann » June 16th, 2020, 1:46 pm

I won’t buy from Justin because of their land clearing and water tactics.
Scott Zimmermann

Stephen Pepe

#32 Post by Stephen Pepe » June 16th, 2020, 2:36 pm

A friend of mine would not buy a car that advertised on Fox.
Stephen Pepe
Clos Pepe Vineyards and Estate Wines
Santa Rita Hills, CA

G. Curd

#33 Post by G. Curd » June 16th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:31 pm
I boycott Lafleur, Ponsot, Domaine Romanee Conti, and other French wineries which have not vouched for the impeccable, utterly impeccable integrity of Rudy Kurniawan, John Kapon, Allen Meadows, or Gil Lempert-Schwarz.
[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]
G a v i n

J. Rock

#34 Post by J. Rock » June 16th, 2020, 2:48 pm

I haven't bought and don't plan on buying any Rhys or Justin since finding out that they engaged in business practices that I consider unethical, harmful, and very unreasonable. I recently saw a social media post indicating that the owner and a winemaker of a winery I like are big Trump supporters and donators (I am not). If I find the claim in that post is accurate, I probably won't buy any or much from that winery either. I don't know these are necessarily boycotts (and honestly, I don't have nearly as much problem with people supporting a politician I don't like as I do with complete disregard for the environment), but with so much great wine available, I just don't see the need to buy from producers with whom I really cannot identify or agree. I'm not going to give people shit for buying from these wineries (although, I may inform them why I don't buy their wines), but for me, they just lost their competitive edge in an extremely competitive marketplace.
J o r d a n

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#35 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » June 16th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:24 pm
There is a lot of great wine in the world. It's pretty easy to ignore purchasing certain labels. I can't even buy all the ones I want to.
Well said.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Paul Miller » June 16th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Andrew Gold wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:27 pm
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
Support for BLM

G. Curd

#37 Post by G. Curd » June 16th, 2020, 2:58 pm

J. Rock wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 2:48 pm
I haven't bought and don't plan on buying any Rhys or Justin since finding out that they engaged in business practices that I consider unethical, harmful, and very unreasonable. I recently saw a social media post indicating that the owner and a winemaker of a winery I like are big Trump supporters and donators (I am not). If I find the claim in that post is accurate, I probably won't buy any or much from that winery either. I don't know these are necessarily boycotts (and honestly, I don't have nearly as much problem with people supporting a politician I don't like as I do with complete disregard for the environment), but with so much great wine available, I just don't see the need to buy from producers with whom I really cannot identify or agree. I'm not going to give people shit for buying from these wineries (although, I may inform them why I don't buy their wines), but for me, they just lost their competitive edge in an extremely competitive marketplace.
Well said on all accounts. This is how I feel as well. While politics/environment is not something that is anywhere near the top of my list when deciding on what wines to purchase, in an extremely competitive market those things can affect whether I purchase one wine over another. The owners and wine makers have every right to support whomever/whatever they prefer and I have the right to not buy their product. Freedom at work. I won't elaborate an further on my personal political beliefs because there are other venues for that.
Last edited by G. Curd on June 16th, 2020, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G a v i n

Bill G

#38 Post by Bill G » June 16th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Might be getting too political here but I don't like people using their companies as a vehicle to push their personal political agenda. Corporations should stay out of politics. (Side note if it matters - I am a minority)
G u t k n e c h t

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#39 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » June 16th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Anthony C wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:56 pm
I've never understood corporate activism. Just seems like bad business to alienate half your customers for something unrelated to the business. I know some get bullied into "picking a side"; but I do respect the ones that stand their ground.

As for boycotting wineries, I only boycott the ones that act like pretentious jerks when I visited or that have crappy wine.
I hear what you’re saying, but I’ve been alive for 52 years and had black family and friends for all of those years. I understood Kapernick kneeling, and supported it but living in rural Oregon wasn’t sure what I could do. Watching George Floyd’s death isn’t something I want any American to have as a possibility in their lives.

And my winery, S-Corporation that it is, is still my winery. And if it’s bad business to alienate half or 100% of my customers by me speaking out on IG, then I don’t need to be in business.
I don’t have a personal IG account, and I don’t miss it. I was rarely responsible for the posts prior to to Memorial Day, but I’m not going to get bullied, either by those who think I should speak up or those that think I should stick to selling wine...not anymore than Lebron James should “shut up and dribble”.

People can buy wines from whomever they want. And if this post makes me a pretentious jerk or be perceived as one, that’s my fault. But my “business” is my life, so it has to function according to my moral character not according to whether offending someone is a poor choice.
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on June 16th, 2020, 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winemaker & Owner

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Cris Whetstone » June 16th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Bill G wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 3:03 pm
Might be getting too political here but I don't like people using their companies as a vehicle to push their personal political agenda. Corporations should stay out of politics. (Side note if it matters - I am a minority)
Unless corporations can transport themselves into a vacuum it's impossible for them to live outside of a political world. Not only from the world coming into them but from their actions affecting the world. That's why they give so much money to parties and candidates.

For some reason acknowledging that publicly upsets people though.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 16th, 2020, 3:12 pm

An individual not buying a wine on the secondary market is hardly a boycott. Heck, not buying a wine in the primary market is hardly a boycott. Organizing a larger group to not buy is what gets you going on a boycott.

The OP is just saving a little money, and trying to pat himself on the back about it.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

T. Hall

#42 Post by T. Hall » June 16th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Bill G wrote:
Make that two!
Tom Hall

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#43 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » June 16th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Bill G wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 3:03 pm
The number of lobbyists employed by corporations and groups of corporations to advance their political agenda is almost beyond counting. Even groups of relatively small corporations(Willamette Valley Wineries Association for example) are constantly pushing a political agenda, if for no other reason than to keep a different set of corporations from imposing their will on us via lobbying.

Anyone who thinks that any but a fraction of the smaller wineries many people on WB really enjoy would be available for you still, without political groups defending their existence through advancement of a political agenda, is terribly naive.
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on June 16th, 2020, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winemaker & Owner

Sean S y d n e y

#44 Post by Sean S y d n e y » June 16th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 3:09 pm

I hear what you’re saying, but I’ve been alive for 52 years and had black family and friends for all of those years. I understood Kapernick kneeling, and supported it but living in rural Oregon wasn’t sure what I could do. Watching George Floyd death isn’t something I want any American to have as a possibility in their lives.

And my winery, S-Corporation that it is, is still my winery. And if it’s bad business to alienate half or 100% of my customers to be alienated by me speaking out on IG, then I don’t need to be in business.
I don’t have a personal IG account, and I don’t miss it. I was rarely responsible for the posts prior to to Memorial Day, but I’m not going to get bullied, either by those who think I should speak up or those that think I should stick to selling wine...not anymore than Lebron James should “shut up and dribble”.

People can buy wines from whomever they want. And if this post makes me a pretentious jerk or be perceived as one, that’s my fault. But my “business” is my life, so it has to function according to my moral character not according to whether offending someone is a poor choice.
It's probably not even particularly bad business to align yourself with the right thing to do, but it's certainly bad business for your humanity to stand aside, do nothing, and pretend like you can live in an apolitical world. Justice is justice and I'll let Desmond Tutu take it from here:
If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.

Jeff Rosenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Jeff Rosenberg » June 16th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Andrew Gold wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:27 pm
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
I can forward it to you.

Sean S y d n e y

#46 Post by Sean S y d n e y » June 16th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 3:48 pm

I can forward it to you.
I'd appreciate a copy/paste to the thread if that's not too political; posting without comment seems to be information rather than politics.

I would be surprised if it's much beyond a basic statement of alignment.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Anton D » June 16th, 2020, 3:54 pm

H Guy wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:40 pm
Alpha Omega due to a certain minority investor.
Uh, oh.

Details?
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Arv R

#48 Post by Arv R » June 16th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Matthew King wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:32 am
Honest question: Have you ever boycotted a winery you once supported because of their business practices or politics?

I ask because today I emptied my shopping cart after nearly buying some back-vintage Rhys Skyline Syrah.

I think the wine is one of the best CA Syrahs out there and they won’t be making anymore of it.

However, I am torn because It doesn’t feel right (to ME!) to support a winery that has paid $3M fines for bulldozing protected wetlands, illegally filling in streams with dirt in Mendocino County and other environmental rules in an important watershed.

I’m not here to retry that case, which has been settled.

I am here to ask if you’ve faced a similar quandary.

I know some people never forgave Hubert de Montille in Burgundy for his insensitive comments about 9/11.

Some friends don’t buy Firestone Walker beers because a related family trust are big Trump supporters.

Are you able to separate your purchasing decisions about a given product from the person/people who created it?

It’s a slippery slope ... why am I targeting Rhys when I still willingly buy other products made/delivered with harmful labor and environmental practices , e.g. Amazon warehouses, meat packing plants, iPhone factories, Nike sweatshops, etc.

It’s a complex question. All I know is I couldn’t buy the bottles of Rhys today.

Any thoughts?
According to the rules of Festivus, Airing of Grievances doesn't start til December 23.

So nurse your rage and sharpen your knives til then!
R_@_0

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Paul Miller » June 16th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Sean S y d n e y wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 3:49 pm
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:

I can forward it to you.
I'd appreciate a copy/paste to the thread if that's not too political; posting without comment seems to be information rather than politics.

I was going to, but I deleted it and can't find it in any email trash cans. I don't think you are going to be surprised.

CalebJoseph

#50 Post by CalebJoseph » June 16th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Paul Miller wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Sean S y d n e y wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 3:49 pm
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:

I can forward it to you.

I was going to, but I deleted it and can't find it in any email trash cans. I don't think you are going to be surprised.
Without reading the email I can't say for certain, but if you are choosing to stop supporting a business because of their support of the BLM movement, well, that's an interesting stance, yeah..I'll go with interesting.

Return to “Wine Talk”