Leoville Las Cases: 2000 vs 2010 vs 2016

Hey guys

Thanks for your inputs on Palmer.

2019 EP has inspired me to backfill a few wines that I have had on my list.

LLC is one of the wines I like. I have a 6x case of 2018 (birth year of our twins) which I am not planning to touch for a while.

I have my eyes on 3 different vintages for different reasons:

1. 2016 - has best reviews on CT at 98+ rating. Only thing that gives me pause is that I have 2018 already
  2. 2000 - good age on it, good reviews. I can have it slowly over the next 5+ years.
  3. 2010 - in between 2000 and 2016 both in terms of age and reviews.

It would be great to get any inputs. Those who have tried these in a vertical tasting would have particularly relevant feedback.

Not dissuading from purchasing, but personal experiences with the property’s wines, mostly from vintages 80s/90s/70s is that they are slow to evolve and drink-ability at a satisfactory level occur after a long optimal cellaring.

Although I’m excited for having some 2000s (and 95s/96s) in my remote storage, I do not have the enthusiasm to open and try in 5 years.

Thanks Ramon. I have heard that consistently. Someone calling it ‘aging at a glacial pace’.

For less than the price of the 2000, I would buy some of the brilliant 1985, especially if you can find the late release, for drinking over the next two decades. If you are actuarially likely to live for another thirty years, then maybe buy some 2016, too.

Not sure if you read my site. But I have current notes for all those vintages of LLC. I will be tasting the 2019 LLC lineup at 9am tomorrow! Learn about Leoville Las Cases St. Julien, Complete Guide

1 Like

Thanks William. I am trying to see if I can get 1985. Have also dropped Florent @ Delon a note.

If you actually want to drink a mature LLC in the next five years, based on my experience, the best vintages would be 82, 85 and 90. My favorite is the ‘90, and it’s less expensive than the ‘82, and about the same price at auction as the younger vintages you mentioned.

I had the 1985 (from magnum) a couple of years ago and agree that it is brilliant.

I also like the 1986 and 1989 a lot. The 1996 too, but it may not be fully mature.

My favorite now is the 1982. Was closed for many years but was fabulous the last two times I had it.

I have 2 bottles of the 2000. Or rather, my estate has 2 bottles of the 2000. At my age (and I am not as old as some of you!), my motto is buy old LLC, or buy something else.

I had the 1983 last night and it was drinking nicely. So they certainly do age well - but they also do come around.

Thanks all for inputs.

Howard I did consider 1996 and still considering it. It’s priced very attractively at place I buy from in the UK.

All - when I said I can consume in 5+ years, I meant I would give 2000 vintage at least 5 more years and then consumer it between 5-10.

All of this talk is certainly getting me off the 2016 bandwagon, unless I want to forget about it for 20-30 years. Hopefully I will appreciate buying it in my 60s :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As of right now then options are 1989 or 96. 86 and 90 are more expensive and 85 is hard to procure. I will see what the winery says about 85.

Deleted.

I concur. I love Leoville Las Cases but find the sweet spot is often at 25-30 years. Unless you are quite young, would not be buying 2016. 2000 might be great in 5-10 years but we had a 2000 last year at a Bordeaux tasting and it was still quite hard and really didn’t yield after being open more than 6 hours total. This wine requires patience and time.

I think this will be an amazing wine at some point. I would like to live long enough to taste it in its prime.

1 Like

Deleted.

Dinesh, you should get all three vintages. You deserve it!
champagne.gif

85 and 90 are two wines that didn’t follow this rule, but I think it is generally true.

I can’t disagree about the '85 and '90. They are good.

My records tell me I had the '85 in 2015 and as well as in 2 separate dinner off-lines in 2018. In all instances, they were in great drinking shape. I’m sure I added some TNs here.

My last 1990 was in 2016. A memorable drinker in a happy zone.

lol.