Do you chill Beaujolais Crus before serving?

?

I do like them a little lower than room temp - if I’m taking them out of a cellar/fridge I do like to open them when they’re about ~15 degrees. If it’s at a restaurant I will ask for a little bit of ice to get them down to 15-17° if I feel they’re a bit warm and at my wine bar we do keep the Beaujolais BTG on a bit of ice.

If they are room temp I usually put a chiller sleeve on them to get them down to 60 or so. If they’re in the cellar I just start them off at that temp and let them warm up as we drink them.

I like to drink them a little below cellar temp. That said, I tend to serve all of my wine on the cooler side…

I prefer them in the 58 range, baby fresh outta the cellar.

Jim,

I chill most reds before serving them. If they are already at room temp (70 degrees +/-) I tend to like them to have 5-10 minutes in the fridge before serving them. I find them more enjoyable at this cooler temperature. Keep in mind, when you’re tasting in a cellar at the domaine, often times the wines are already at 50-55 degrees.

This

Yes, cellar temperature rather than room temp.

My soul mate!

Agree!

+1, and I do that for all bojo, not just the fancy pants cru.

I like cellar temp or even cooler. Fond memories of chilled pichets of bojo on trips to france.

No more than any other red. No wine should be served at living room temp.

I freeze them on popsicle sticks.

We keep our thermostat at 54º and that is the temp I like for Beaujolais.

I totally agree with this! Why do restaurants not chill their reds? At least don’t balk when I order a bottle of red and ask you to bring an ice bucket.

Most of the year my living room is between 58 and 62 degrees.

As for the OP - I serve Beaujolais at cellar temp most of the time. It them warms up over the course of the bottle.

Yes. They should be refreshing, and have a bit of a bite on the palate.

Greg, your comment concisely expresses the message in some of the other posts also. Interesting and worth me considering. Just as I have probably been serving my white wines too cold in general, I also have probably been serving my red wines too warm at times. My whites generally come from the fridge and so start at 40 degrees, My reds come from either our passive basement cellar (which is probably too warm in the summer) or from the kitchen counter and often start at 65 degrees or more.
Quel schmuck!

No, but I think I’m going to start!

I agree completely.

I think the old wine books that started the ‘room temperature’ thing were English, written in a time when the English climate was not always ameliorated by central heating. In the winter my dad would put red wine near the fire to warm up (I grew up in England).