Back to Basics: 1996 Ch. Sociando Mallet

1996 Ch. Sociando-Mallet, Haut-Medoc

With Saturday stay@home dinner of medium rare reverse-seared NY shell steak, it was back to basics with a reliable Bordeaux.

Stood upright for a week and double splash decanted just before the meal, dumping out a spoonful of sediment.

Ruby-red fresh in color. Bouquet of old-school claret, add some nice green veggie notes and dry herbs.
Medium-bodied, gentle texture. High level of cherry and blackberry acidity. Firm and plump fruit, not overripe. Hints of green bell pepper. Nicely herbaceous. Everything’s so Old World about this that’s so like-able to me. Proudly, yet understatedly, carries that labeled 12.5 Abv. Lengthy. A-

88D71D9E-2B09-49C0-8278-BD870777777C.jpeg

Great description Ramon
Among the not so many Bordeaux I find better than 1996 Sociando is 1996 Sociando Cuvee Jean Gauitreau

Nice note! Right up my alley.

Yea Claus, that ‘96 Cuvee JG is quite special. Have either of you tried the ‘95 JG?

Sounds like I would wish I did, but no, I haven’t tried the '95 JG.

Excellent note Ramon and spot on with my experiences with this 96. I love the style of this wine as well, and S/M punches way above its weight class in 96, and in 00.

Another winelover here who has never had a J/G

Thanks, Greg. Yes, that '00 (non JG) is also within my wheelhouse.

Nice note Ramon. Sounds lovely and right up my alley.

I love this wine. The herbal aspects did not overwhelm the fruit, and it gives a great deal more than it costs. Even at this age, it has not faded a bit. Lovely.

Cheers,
Scott

Yum.

Love the view from your place, Ramon.

Thanks, Patrick.

Anything the outside windows can provide to entertain me in 3+ months of stay@home is a plus.

This.

OK, maybe just a tad bit (when compared to very young Bordeaux), but for a 24 yo wine, the freshness is still very much there. Even with re-corked, fridged half on day 2.

Interesting that the 96 hs softened up to that degree. Wish my 86 would!

86 is, well, 86. Yes, the 96 had drunk better at this point. I’ve had a couple and Sociando 86s had not stepped up to the plate just as the other good 86s had at this point, imho.

Here’s some comparative views on the wines when we did a recent local Sociandothon: