1978 Haut Bailly and Kind of a Funny Story

I’ve been sitting on a 1978 Haut Bailly I picked up for a song ($55 hammer on Winebid last Sept I think—supposedly past seepage but I’m not seeing that; I normally avoid those bottles but occasionally overzealously bid without noticing). The label was badly stained but the cork was one of the best 40ish year-old corks I’ve seen and fill was vts/bn. The wine is everything you’d expect from Graves in the vintage: Tons of tobacco, cedar, and earth with a prominent streak of green pepper - nearly as much green/pyrazines as a 1978 Figeac from a couple of weeks ago and slightly more green than a 1978 Trotanoy from earlier that week.

Anyway, here is where the funny story comes in: I’m halfway through the bottle and jump on CT to see reviews and notice something funny: the bottle in the picture has similar stains on the label to mine. Sure enough, I grab my bottle and it’s the SAME ONE. Thank you to whoever posted the picture in CT and subsequently listed it last September—it’s a beautiful Graves, and yet another example of how insane old Bordeaux QPR’s can be if you look hard enough.