2012 Cristal

In January, I tasted the first of a 6 pack I bought and found it to be way too early in the game to really be showing its best attributes. This weekend I’ve traveled to Orange County to join some good friends for a tasting and took advantage of being able to stop by Envoyer and pick up some pre-arrival bought wines including 3 more bottles. Since I was in a champagne mood during my first night at a resort hotel, it seemed to be a great time to re-visit and get a read on where it has moved, if at all in this short period of time and so one got popped.

2012 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT- no question, it needs a lot of time and its easily obvious, as was the first bottle, this will be a good one as it has bright acidity, loads of fresh citrus with lemon lime most prominent and subtle accents of spice and toasty brioche; overall, it had an element of elegance, but just needs time to evolve, balance, flesh out and come together.

71E964B9-8B9C-4CC5-A55A-2907687F3452_1_201_a.jpeg
Cheers,
Blake

12` Cristal- Day 2: I saved about 2/3 of the bottle and took it to the OC guys tasting the next day. It was capped off and remained at my hotel room temperature until I got to the home of our host and placed in the frig with the idea of having it at the end of the day. As it turned out, it was the first thing we started with and only had a slight chill at best. And, it was served blind.

All of these factors gave way to an entirely different profile as it is now super rich, creamy and full bodied with aromas and flavors going way beyond the fresh citrus lemon and lime notes as yellow peach, pear and nectarine are now expressed with a streak of honey running through from the nose through the finish.

Because some saw the bottle and knew it was Cristal, the task was to ID the vintage. Some guessed this as 02, 06, 08 and 09 and probably from not knowing the 12` was released, no one got it for being 2012.

Some additional info: this was bottled in 13 and disgorged in 19 with 7.5 gpl and made from 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay. No ML and 32% was vinified in oak casks.

It was a great start to a fabulous afternoon.

Blake,

Very cool note on the wine - especially following it for a couple days. I remain convinced that the 2012 is going to be better in the long run than the 2008 and 2009 though all three are great. The 2009 is the best for drinking today upon opening, but once the 2012 opens up, it mixes in rich, open flavors with firm structure and gives the best of both 2008 and 2009 (or, as Jean-Baptiste Lecallion would say 2002 and 2008). 2012 was the first 100% biodynamic Cristal Blanc as well (The Cristal Rose went full biodynamic with the 2007 vintage)

Thanks for the add ons Brad. I’d have to agree with your assessment of the 09 vs. the 12.

I can’t ever remember having any bottle of Cristal left over for another day and this suggests, at least for the young ones, there’s a benefit in doing so.

I just reloaded on some '09s. I agree, those are drinking better. I regret passing on 2009 Cristal for great prices way back when I was waiting on the release of the 2008’s. The last time I opened a 2008 it was tight. I haven’t touched the 2012’s but I’m happy to read your notes!!! On a side note, earlier this week a .375 made me decide Krug 168 eme (2012 base) shouldn’t be opened now; no surprise.
I have more 2008 Cristal than 2009 or 2012’s, but will slowly keep adding 2012’s as I see deals, if my funds don’t run out.

Thanks, Blake, for taking one early for the team and following it. Also to Brad for adding his knowledge and experience.

Cheers,
Warren

Nice notes, Blake!

As I don’t get the Envoyer emails anymore (my choice), wondering what a decent price for the 2012 Cristal is currently? I’ve been offered 6 packs for $1300 plus tax through a wine sale offered by my country club.

That’s a pretty good price. 200-220 is good. JJB offered at 199 recently.

I’ll get a note up on this bottle.

Hey Blake, it was blind for me!

Excellent wine.

As Micheal stated, JJB had it at the best price I’ve seen at $199. I paid $230 for these and after the second day go around, I’m good with that.

Okay, I pumped this out while watching over the grill.

Blake, thank you for a great treat, you visiting the gang. And the champagne was terrific too.

Note: this bottle was open 24 hours but under cap.

Looking at the glass there are very fine bubbles. A little note of honey… Where have I caught that before? The palate is bright, clean, lemon curd, and citrus. That dollup of clover honey hangs on through the finish combined with more of a green apple note. The fine effervescence is a big marker for me, almost still, yet light and feminine mouthfeel.

We drank this on the warmer side and Blake apologized but I told him this was the real test, no hiding behind chilled taste buds exposing only the acid and suppressing the inner workings. The mask was off and it was beautiful.

For me, Cristal is in a category occupied by few wines, a high price tag and over delivers. But that’s another story.

Posted from CellarTracker

Just returned to home base and will get some notes together in the next day or so on our event as well Brig. I’m glad you had the blind experience as it makes for a better evaluation.

Wow, really? Why does anyone pay those inflated prices here in the US? I just picked up a couple of 6x75 in the UK for $995 each. Certainly the strong dollar helps but the markups here are atrocious.

Convenience, mostly. I don’t find it usually worth the trouble to import stuff unless it’s a substantial savings. Once you tack on shipping and bond fees…

Thanks for the great Note! That’s a wonderful phrase “mask off” and letting a wine truly warm up. I do this often, and I think playing with temperature super illustrative, especially white wines. You’re entirely correct, that this often reveals true class in winemaking, to evolve from chilled to room temp and evolve with flavors but but also with texture.

Great read on the Cristal Brig. Always appreciate your notes as they profoundly capture some of the finer nuances this bottle displayed.