TN: 2017 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Boudriotte

Noticeably reduced upon opening, but within 5 minutes was already loosening up and was positively singing after a half hour.

The nose is lovely; perfumed, with violets & rose petals, a bit of smoke, red fruit coulis, a touch of forest floor. The fruit is piercingly transparent and pure and the texture, oh man, the texture; silky already but with just enough tannic grip to provide a foundation for everything else to sit on. A surprisingly spicy, peppery finish gives it a wonderful savoury balance and another layer of beauty. This is Volnay-meets-Vosne; elegant, but utterly sensual. Everything in harmony.

I’ve got two more of these and as delicious as it is now, I get the feeling these will be achingly delicate wines with cellar time.

Thank you to the Ramonet red evangelists on this board that turned me onto these wines.

Jealous, that sounds fantastic!

Shhhhh…

Be sure to try Niellon too.

Did you buy it from the agent here? I presume you must have with the lack of recent travel. I was tempted but these sure aren’t cheap. I did get some '17 Ramonet whites.

Nice work Sean.

I did! Split a pack with a friend. They’re absolutely not cheap - it was my one quarantine splurge, and I can count the number of times per year I drink a wine like this on one hand. A total treat.

I definitely won’t, nor would I recommend Ramonet reds to anyone. champagne.gif

I got mine from collectible fine wine, nice shop.

Nice!

I have a bunch of 2016…pretty sure I can’t wait til 20 years old.

This is my biggest issue with these wines. I don’t have too many with much age. I want to age the ones I have, but I also want to drink the ones I have. I guess the only solution is to buy more, drink some and age some.

You can often backfill for reasonable prices. I just got a mag of 2000 for 150.

It’s going to be really, really hard to not open the other ones, so I’m going to put them in a storage locker and pretend they don’t exist.

I chose this to drink yesterday because it was likely the last red-friendly weather for awhile. I’m counting on that to make it easier not to drink wines like these (even though the first pour and taste was just a few degrees above cellar temp and it was lovely).

Opened one tonight, fantastic.

Michael, I said I PUT THE OTHER TWO AWAY SO I COULD PRETEND THEY DON’T EXIST.

(I’m really glad.)

Funny, found a mag of 1997 for $170. I think those days are soon to be long gone and we will all be lamenting it soon.