Help me pick wines off a wine list

Hi everyone,

I found a wine bar with a pretty strong Coravin program in my local area and would like to summon your help to pick some wines to try. I’m new into wine (~1 year) so there is quite a lot I haven’t tasted yet and this seems like a great occasion to sample many wines without paying full bottle prices.

The list is here: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a271caf8fd4d2f6f1c13969/t/5ed8fb6469e3510b8aea990b/1591278441352/THE+ARCHIVE+LONG+LIST+02.06.20.pdf

Prices are in AUD$ and are very reasonable for the local market here. Stuff I have already eyed:

2018 Tempier Bandol Rose
2002 Trimbach Cuvee Frederich Emile
2016 Willi Schaefer Drompbrost Kabinett
2017 Tolpuddle Chardonnay
2017 Foillard Morgon Cote du Py
2013 Overnoy Type Savagnin

Is there anything else that you’d recommend trying? I’m interested in tasting Northern Rhone, perhaps Jamet Cote-Rotie, but I wonder if 2015 isn’t too young, same with 2016 Dujac’s MSD 1er cru.

Thanks in advance for all the help,

Jan

Anything by Rousseau, Ramonet, Soldera or PYCM should be good. The Aligotes from Ramonet and PYCM are a great way to try an obscure but delicious grape from two of the best white wine makers in Burgundy at reasonable prices.

Nick: thanks!

I think I will skip Rousseau and Soldera for this time, A$100 is a steep price to entry, and I want to sample a bit more being going so all-in. The Aligote is a great idea though, and I definitely want to try PYCM - between his Aligote and the St. Aubin Le Banc what would you rather recommend?

I just noticed there’s a 1995 Chateau Melescot Saint-Exupery. I never heard of the winery but a 1995 Bordeaux seems enticing. Anyone can tell me something about it?

I’ve not had either of the two PYCM wines specifically, but I’d do the St Aubin first. I love Aligote but it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

I haven’t personally had that producer but I am a big fan of Jeff Leve’s website, his tasting notes and producer profiles are a great way to get an overview of a producer before trying them.

He is also on this forum.

I’d be all over 07 Rousseau csj for 100/pour.

Makes sense, thanks!

Good tip, thank you. Apparently the quality went up in recent vintages, no mention of any 90’s vintage. I’ll have to do some more digging around.

I’m not very familiar with these more high-end producers, so I checked and a bottle of Rousseau Clos st Jacques is more than A$1000 so I guess a 75ml pour for $100 is more than fair. I’ll keep that one in mind… [cheers.gif]

I’d be all over both the 07 and 06 since the exchange rate is 1.45. They’re selling BTG at less than retail.

Basically there’s a couple ways to look at it, but getting to drink a ready to drink Rousseau for less than retail without being obligated to buy the whole bottle0 is a no brainer, IMO.

The fevre and Christophe Chablis would be good additions to your already excellent list. I’d probably give the dujac a go as well, though might be a bit surly this young.

The Trimbach is superb.

I haven’t had the zilliken but I love the 2012 vintage. I don’t think I’ve had a wine from that vintage I haven’t liked and I do like zilliken so would be assume it’s good

Go for the Le Banc!

The Malescot is nice - classic cedary Bordeaux, but not especially distinguished.

Sounds like you’re emphasizing non-domestic wines, but as an outside observer, I have always found the Sami-Odi wines fascinating.

That’s quite convincing, Michael, and a way of seeing things that’s new to me - I saw $100 and thought “that’s too much for just a glass,” but I have to put it into context.

Thanks Alan. Does Dujac’s stem inclusion make it surlier young?

Thanks Eric!

Thanks Brian. They don’t mention any Prädikat level on the list, is this dry or off-dry?

Hi William,

I’m not actually Australian, and moved over here about a year ago. I usually drink local wines in my day-to-day so seeing a list like this does make me want to go more Old World - the one Oz wine that caught my attention was the Cullen Diana Madeline, which I forgot to mention. One of my best friends is a big CS fan so I’ll have him try it first.

Re: Sami-Odi - I generally don’t like Barossa too much, way too big for me, but if you suggest it maybe this one is different?

Jan,

First, kudos on using the quote feature so well, we have guys here with thousands of posts who still can do that :wink:

I was going to point out the Le Banc as well, a lovely wine. I haven’t actually had the 16 Dujac, but I would expect it to be drinkable, and at very least a fun learning experience. You can always ask the server how it is drinking, someone there must try each of the wines first, to check for TCA.

Agreed. I love this list. Would try any number of these wines.

Guessing there may be 20 wine bars in the Country that would pour ONE or these wines throughout the year. maybe you are just being sarcastic -

Alan,

Thanks - coming from someone with 20,000 posts I take it as a big compliment [highfive.gif]

[cheers.gif]

Then polish off a bottle of Ramonet CSJ 2014 Rouge.

I like Malescot but think the 1995 may be a little past its sell by date…