Sub $15 whites

Hi All,

Need some fairly easy to find cheap whites. Very open. Could be anything. Hoping to get a balance of ideas. We just need them for entertaining bigger groups without breaking the bank.

Many many thanks!

FERRARI-CARANO FUME BLANC - A solid sauvignon blanc that pairs well with seafood and is enjoyable on its own. - $12 around here.

Not sure about easy to find, but I can’t think of any 10€-ish Portuguese white wine which isn’t terrific QPR. Some are even cheaper: two 5€ whites which are simple yet delicious are João Portugal Ramos’ Pouca Roupa and the Quinta do Cardo Biológico. For 10€ it’s almost too easy to take your pick, as virtually every winemaker has a really good white in that price range, but I’d single out António Maçanita’s brilliant Fitapreta, which could easily cost three times as much for the quality, given what I’ve tasted of whites from other countries.

Bokisch has a few wines that meet this criteria and they are nice wines for the modest price.

Tom

Try some of the basic Trimbach wines…Pinot Gris, Riesling, and Pinot Blanc are all good, and should be pretty close to $15 if you buy in quantity.

If your guests like sweeter and fizzy, Moscato d’Asti is going to trump all other choices. Go for Italian producers such as Luccio or Castello del Poggio, avoid US versions (Cupcake…)

Adega Condes de Albarei Albariño Rías Baixas is a nice crowd pleaser this time of year. Domaine de la Pepiere Muscadet, Schloss Gobelsburg or Domaine Wachau gruner.

Try Paetra wines. They were having a half price sale, not sure if it’s still on (at half price, everything is under $15)

You can just PM or email Bill Hooper, he’ll let you know.
Even at the regular price, these are a great bargain, very precise. I have tried a good half dozen different ones and liked them all a lot.

Charles Smith Kung Fu Girl riesling is dirt cheap and very tasty.

1 Like

Eric Solomon’s Black Slate project includes a really nice white Priorat. It’s around $10 and drinks a lot pricier. Mineral-driven grenache blanc.

1 Like

Eric Solomon’s Black Slate project includes a really nice white Priorat. It’s around $10 and drinks a lot pricier. Mineral-driven grenache blanc.

I am a big fan of Wagner dry riesling, Finger Lakes. TW for about $12 with coupon.

I find this one to be quite food friendly and very good. Castello Banfi Pinot Grigio San Angelo Toscana IGT

Hanna Sauvignon Blanc. Seems to be consistently around $12 in Trader Joes.

Ontañón Rioja Akemi. Beautiful stone fruits, wonderfully aromatic - a phenomenal summer wine at $14-$17/bottle. It’s good enough that I often wonder why I pay several times that on bottles of wine, ever.

My go-to summer party/patio whites are all under $14. Domaine Lafage Cuvee Centenaries (amazing Grenache Blanc, Rousanne blend), McKinley Springs Chenin Blanc (virtually unknown Washington State), Fontaleoni or Falchini Vernaccia di San Gimignano, Joseph Drouhin Macon Villages, or Argiolas Costamolino Vermentino. Great thing is these wines will satisfy wine snobs, casual drinkers, and everyone in between.

Some of these have already been mentioned.

Dr L Riesling
Kung Fu Girl Riesling
Pewsey Vale Riesling
Hanna Sauvignon Blanc
Most vinho verde and lots of other Portuguese whites
Lots of Muscadet. Pepiere if you can find it.
Muga Rioja Blanco
Louis Jadot Macon Villages
Mulderbosch Chenin and Sauvignon Blanc
Spier Chenin Blanc
La Cana Albariño (and quite a few other Albariños)
Perrin Cotes du Rhône Blanc is like $8 and solid, same with the Pontificis white Rhône blend (more aromatic) which is maybe $7 at Trader Joe’s.
Sebastiani North Coast Chardonnay
Little James Basket Press

Honig Sauv Blanc available at a supermarket near you

Dry Creek Fume Blanc and Chenin Blanc $16 ( but can get for lower through numerous sales throughout the year) never disappoints.

I just bought my annual 6 pack of Collestefano Verdicchio di Matelica. The Pepiere regular Muscadet i a superb value, though I usually spend the extra bucks for the Briords.
I occasionally buy the Perrin’s La Vieille Ferme blanc for cooking wine- the only $7 wine I can think of I willingly drink a glass of.