TN: 2004 Cavallotto Barolo Riserva Vignolo

Straight out of the gate this is smoking. Earthy, truffley goodness, rose petals and denser dark brambly fruits. The palate is just so beautifully integrated and layered that it glides across the palate. It draws you in with its nuance. Close to my favourite Barolo producer.

Yum.

+1

+1

And relative to the quality, very well priced. No idea why the Riserva bottles don’t trade at a much higher price, like other ‘traditionalists’?

We had an '01 Cavallotto Bricco Boschis last night and my note is quite similar to yours above. I am trying to think if I’ve ever had a Cavallotto that was truly shut down, despite being so traditionally made. They just seem to go from one kind of beautiful to another.

Great to hear, I was just eyeing a bottle of this last night and wondering how it might be shaping up. Based on this I will move a bottle into my queue of wines that I intend to drink in the next few months…

Agreed Sarah and Peter, they do seem quite accessible at any age and are to me a very good value. The first vintage that I bought was 2001s and they are stunning wines and were less than $A100 at the time.

I had a nice 2008 Vignolo last week.

Much higher price? The 2013’s are selling for $110-$140 for Vignolo and $125-$150 for San Giuseppe. How much higher should they sell for? I don’t think these are unfair prices, but I don’t see them as bargains either.

Just seems like it should trade a little closer to Bartolo Mascarello, Cappellano ‘Rupestris’, Conterno’s ‘Cascina Francia’, Giuseppe Rinaldi. Such a deep discount to these producers, seems like good value…

Tend to agree Peter, compare the price of this to Vietti Rocche or Aldo Conterno Romarisco, definitely seems like a good price, but I did note the '13s had jumped a fair bit.

I hadn’t noticed, I stopped buying Barolo with the 2010 vintage. I like Barolo with some decent age on it and pushing 60 now, I think new vintages are a thing of the past for me…

We tried to stop at 2010, but then got excited about '13 and decided to stop there instead. So far holding steady.

I get that. So tempting to buy. I’ve held firm though. Last Barolo is 2010. Last Red Burg is 2012. Last Bordeaux is 2010. Last Cote Rotie is 2010. Last Calif Cab is 2005 (I stopped there a while ago!)

Stopped Bordeaux in 2000. Red Burg roughly 2012. Haven’t bought any Rhones in many years, maybe the 2001 vintage, and no CA cabs in even longer, though we did get some 2010 Togni and Jonathan stayed on the Ridge list until around then as well.

It’s really just Riesling and Champagne for new release significant wines. A few white burgs. No reds except easy drinkers or the occasional backfill.