TNs--10 Poggio Al Vento Brunello Riserva, 11 Rhys Alpine Chard, 17 Roche Aux Moines Savennieres

Casual backyard visit at Tim and Alissa Burnett’s place, Jay Shampur joined us as we caught up, social-distancing style.

2010 Poggio Al Vento Brunello Riserva

I had bought 3 of these recently and wanted to take a look. The 7 hour decant was a good idea, it softened the wine very nicely. This makes it on the bouquet, which has lovely leather, plum and berry scents and a definite creosote/campfire lick at the back. Quite sturdy on first sip, though with good dollop of acidity, by the evening this had smoothed out to rather velvety tannins and is long and conversational dans la bouche. I don’t want much more from a Brunello. Yummylicious

2011 Rhys Alpine Chard

For Chard, Alpine is definitely my fave SVD of theirs. This delivers the chalk, mineral and lemon-lime profile that I would want to see, but starts out being a little subdued compared to other vintages. The very encouraging thing is that it did pick up steam, intensity and some layering with time in the glass, while not losing a jot of its identity. Very good by the end of the night.

2017 Domaine Aux Moines Roche Aux Moines Savennieres

I believe this is the producer. I told Jay I want a bottle or two when he next orders this. Crisp and defined in the nuzzie and on the palate, there is a little of the lanolin but mostly nicely placed herbs to a lime and tart apple presentation. This is the merest baby and has at least 5 years to go before truly opening up, but you can taste the promise in this wine.

Sounds like a good time, Mike.

If it is in fact Domaine Aux Moines the agent is That’s Life Gourmet. They actually had some inventory of the '99 available at a reasonable price last year that I picked up and it’s drinking really nicely.