TN: 1967 Fontanafredda Barolo

1967 Fontanafredda Barolo(6/4/2020)
This spent six months upright in the cellar before decanting for 2 hours.
I’ve rarely seen a wine over thirty, much less over 50, present so afresh. The translucent ruby color fought off scant browning. Upon opening, the nose showed a whiff of soy sauce. This blew off with the decant, yielding to dense strawberry and other red fruit. Strawberry, cherry and mushroom palate; the tannins were fully resolve (laying in a heap at the bottle’s bottom having settled in with pigments). Moderate body, acidity and alcohol, this was a beauty. I’ve read some disparage Fontanafredda as adequate but unexceptional, but this bottle was extraordinary.
IMG_8312.jpeg
IMG_8311.jpeg

I’ve had good success with a few of these from the '50’s, '60’s and '70’s. Glad it showed well for you Warren.

these old Barolos and Barbarescos are my jam - nice notes, and proper treatment!

Envoyer?

I’ve also had success with old Fontanafredda.
Underrated IMO

Thanks Warren. On deck for next Wednesday for when my brother’s family visits from Baltimore:
B9C7C39A-31E3-43A0-B844-490D4B785AB4.jpeg

Did you have any issues with the cork? I bought a bottle of 1971 at auction and the neck of the bottle, as well as the cork, were tapered, narrower at the bottom. That made no sense whatsoever because the force of the cork forced the cork outwards. By the time I got it, the cork was loose and the bottle was DOA. I recently purchased a case of Fontanafredda 1996 from WTSO and although the neck was abnormally narrow and the cork was relatively thin, they fit together well and the wine was perfectly sound. I have a personal affinity for Fontanafredda because that was what I was tasting at Zachy’s when a huge skylight came crashing down after being hit by ice from the building next door and almost killed me and the importer’s representative.

The reason mine is on deck is there was some leakage when it arrived from Envoyer–but still at a perfect fill level.

Yes! Sadly only bought one.

This particular bottle’s cork was perfect, removed smoothly with a Durand, with no seepage or tapering whatsoever.

Josh,
I hope it shows as well as my bottle.
Cheers,
Warren

Old wine celebrating Old Friends. Very poetic. Glad it showed so fittingly, Warren.

Thanks Nick. I chose it that night realizing that he and I were certainly playing in our neighborhood as eight year olds when the grapes were harvested.

Cheers,
Warren

I’ve had a few of their wines from the '60s and early '70s that have been really nice. I think the general impression is that the wines of the '80s and later became more generic and commercialized.