TN: 99 DRC Duvault-Blochet 1er cru

bought on release. Stored at 50 degrees. Opened tonight.
538A7A51-0CF4-4619-BAF0-23C87E6FBF90.jpeg
Took 2 hours to open but incredible spices on nose, superb texture and depth, very balanced. Violets and licorice, dark berry fruit, ripe tannins, just an awesome wine. There will be no trouble finishing this bottle tonight.

I had one as a lockdown treat a few weeks ago. Very similar to yours. Beautiful stuff but the price nowadays…

Bought and consumed one of these - was very good buying at $A200 or less at the time. Still have a few of the later vintages tucked away, but yes they seem to have crept up a bit price wise of late!
Are they still making this cuvee? Last vintage that I was offered was '08.

DRC’s '99’s are simply some of the greatest reds ever made.

The last vintage I´v seen offered (internet) was 2011.

It escapes my understanding why the domaine did not produce (or offer?) great vintages like 2005 and 2010?
Part of the cuvée are grapes from their 1er Cru vineyards like Dessus de Malconsorts, Gaudichots and Petits Monts, that´s app. 0.60 ha all together … and usually at least 2000+ bottles.
(I think they leased the Suchots and Reignots holdings to Prieure-Roch and Liger-Belair resp.)

I believe this came about due to young vines and barrels that didn’t make the blend to offer to restaurants initially. I recall RN74 pouring this by the glass in 2002 or 03 and again with the 2006 in 2009.

Nice. Have opened one here a few years ago and it was horribly corked…

Robert, I thought they leased or sold their Petit Monts holdings and was not used in in this cuvee?

Looking forward to your thesis on the entire 99 lineup!

They had 6 barrels of PM 2018 in the cellar at the end of last year - but also no D_B cuvée was planned…

I was under the impression that it was mostly/all from Grand Cru holdings, but second pass picking. Could be mistaken though.

I had this back when it was first released. Revelatory.

Yep, my memory was correct!

Made from a second picking from all of the domaine’s vineyards except Romanée-Conti, the wine is labeled Vosne-Romanée Premier Cru. Although this rare red carries a village name, it comes from grand cru vineyards. By calling it premier cru the domaine declassified by a step.

true in 99 but I think later releases had premier cru juice. Not 100% sure.

As far as I know they leased the Reignots-holdings to LM Liger-Belair - and sold (?) the Suchots to Prieuré-Roch - nothing similar heard about Petis-Monts.

The 1999 DB contained only GC-juice from younger vines, but later vintages also used the harvest from 1er Cru vineyards.
That´s the reason why I don´t understand why they don´t release more vintages of DB - the fruit from the 1er Crus is still there, even if the total GC fruit is good enough for the Grands Crus.
If they sold it off to the negoce the price will be much lower than for their DB bottling.