TN: 2015 Saxum Broken Stones (USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles)

• 2015 Saxum Broken Stones - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (6/6/2020)
    48% Syrah, 21% Mataro, 20% Grenache, 10% Petite and 1% Roussanne. 15.6% abv. Dark ruby, very aromatic. Cherry, black raspberry, some hints of blue fruit and black pepper. Exceptional concentration, intensity, depth and length. Powerful, but well balanced and behaved, even suave. Drinking great now and should develop well for years. Good stuff! (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sometimes you stumble upon the perfect match for a wine. In this case it was a takeout from a local joint called Rio Grill - a house smoked chicken with chili butter, artichokes and roasted potatoes. The house speciality.

Really to die for. Alone the Broken Stones was a solid 96. With this dish - a 99+!

Best pairing I’ve had this year!

Mike, I used to really like these wines but I can’t process the booze at nearly 16%. I simply don’t like how that makes me feel after a glass.

What I do like is the passion you have penned above, how the wine went with that food. That is cool to read.

Frankie, as with most Saxum’s (and other well made wines like Carlisle), the alcohol is not obtrusive. I normally don’t think of wines like Saxum as excellent food pairing wines. But in this case (with a Southwestern flavored smoked chicken), I can’t imagine a better pairing.

That sounds fantastic! Looking forward to drinking some Saxum - got on the list for the 2017 vintage offering. Cheers!

Thanks for the tasting note. Seems like over the years we have reached for the Broken Stones before other Saxum wines while on the young side. Tend to be more stingy on the James Berry Vin for example.

Agree that the alcohol levels don’t stick out much, at least to my pallet. Over the last couple years we have added more diversity to our wine consumption. Most of those are French and Italian wines that are on the moderate side, at least compared to Cali wines. When we open a Saxum it is usually the feature wine on a Friday or Saturday and we take our time with that bottle.