TN: 2017 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Corton-Charlemagne

• 2017 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru (6/4/2020)
    Immediately expressive, with notes of white peach, smoke and aniseed. It calms in the glass and preserved lemon is the dominant flavour. It is deep, with great build, possessing so much chalky dry extract. The finish is dry, sappy and so long. Brilliant.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice!

I think this is his best Corton-Charlemagne to date!

I preferred the emotion of the 2016 in October 2017 vs the 2017 in October 2018, but there’s no doubting which is the most expressive today; the 2016 is a little sullen just now…

We did a vertical of 2011 to 2017 a few weeks back, 2012, 2014 and 2017 really shone, with 2011 and 2015 not far behind, sadly 2013 and 2016 were very oily and lacked the delicate nature of the other vintages, I think sourcing has gone from 50% Pernard 50% Corton to 75% Pernard 25% Corton, the most rewarding part of the vertical was that all wines were is perfect nick, with no premox issues, it was a great line up MT

In 16 all from Aloxe Michael - the Pernand side was all lost to frost…

It sounds beautiful. The best of his Corton Charlemagnes that I own are my 2010’s. I have one left in magnum. This wine is just stunning. I served it to my wine friends at my daughter’s wedding and it was a huge hit. I do love the 2014s but I think the 2015s are underrated. They are gorgeous.

I love the Pernand side of Corton Charlemagne. Bonneau du Martray comes almost exclusively from that side as does Rapet. It is white rocky soil with such beautiful minerality while still holding the power and mouth filling presence. It is also an absolutely gorgeous place to visit. Looking out on the restaurant Le Charlemagne from the Bonneau du Martray vineyard areas is an amazing sight.

I can only imagine that a 75/25 split between Pernand side and Aloxe side would be a perfect combo for his style here (PCYM). I don’t buy these as much now as I did. The prices are high and the demand makes me look elsewhere for value. I don’t like to have to compete with the big pockets. I do think the wines are amazing.

sounds great, jh.

Sounds amazing, love PYCM, Corton Charlemagne, and 2017…what a trifecta.

Pretty short odds that it was going to be a winning one at that!

Even the quinella didn’t pay much!

agreed 100%. I’ve never loved their CC for the price, but the 17 blew me away

Dude, you are the king of “chalk” wines.

You’re killing me, as I haven’t taken home delivery on these yet. If some of you think it’s better than the 2014 I can’t wait.

Now that’s a great flight!

I was adversely influenced by two threads, including Jeremy’s and this one. I’m looking forward to trying it.

Cheers,
Warren

I can travel to Bellingham, Warren. Stay at Home is off…for now.

How is the 2011 drinking? Any recent experiences?

Hi Ian,

my note on the 2011 from a year ago:

A touch of minerally reduction to the nose along with pure white peach, citrus and floral spice. It is powerful, with great line and clarity. There’s so much chalky dry extract to the back end and it has great drive.