TN: 2016 Domaine Ghislaine Barthod Bourgogne

Starts of very compact and tight, with loads of stony mineral action. As the wine takes on air it gains intensity of sweet cherry fruit flavour at its core. It has excellent detail and depth for its level and is built to age. There are pleasant florals that emerge towards the finish.

It seems like every single TN for a Barthod wine that I read talks about tightness and being built to age. What’s everyone’s take on this?

Yes that is an accurate statement

Better to wait, though? I came on my small stash the other day. I’d planned on holding off another three to five years minimum, given the quality of the vintage. I’m curious what you think, Jeremy.

I will be holding my remaining bottles for at least 5 years.

Tomas, Barthod makes wines to age, from top to bottom.

Thanks, Jeremy. I feel validated that instincts correspond to yours.
flirtysmile

Had this wine recently and I absolutely agree. The 16 needs a while, and the 15 needs even longer!

I think the 15 is readier

I agree that these wines have a certain structure and tautness about them. Still at this level you can enjoy them early. It’s not like you are met with wall of tannins and muted aromatics. I enjoyed drinking the 16 out of the gate. Gangly teen and all …

Maybe the 02 tonight then… :slight_smile:

My problem… Most my Barthod purchases date from 2010 onwards (although I also bought 24 bottles in 2005)… but they can be enjoyed before they close… I agree with Matthew K. We’ll see how the new giant affects the style.