TN: 05 Allemand 'Chaillot'

Purchased recently from board member Cary Rosner and just flat-out phenomenal. Perhaps the best wine I’ve had this year. Deep and dark and layered and pure and just gnarly enough. Young but with an expressive nose and generous palate. Particularly excellent in Teiluride’s crisp evening air. Clearly better than an '05 Chave Hermitage several months ago (which itself was no slouch).

So good, in fact, that I looked up where to find more. MacArthur in DC has a couple btls for $250/per if anyone wants them. These wines have become seriously pricey but the quality is there in spades.

05 allemand is stupid goooooooooooooood

btw 0 available lol

$250 is a very good price.

It’s the first Allemand I ever tried, in Willi’s Wine Bar in 2014, and was blown away despite it being very young then. I think the wine was listed at that time by Caves Augé for something like 65 € and I did not buy any (perhaps they would not have sold to me even, given the way they operate/used to operate) due to budget restrictions. If only I could go back in time…

Rule of 15 on the nose.

I have one standing up now. Thanks so much for the note! I used to think that $70 (what I paid on release) was a crazy price. Oh if only…

Thanks for the tip, Ryan.

Damn, who bought those bottles from MacArthur! I was eyeing them haha.

The two bottles I tried a couple of years ago were both marked by VA - one intensely so - but agreed that the underlying wine is very good indeed

What happened to Cornas pricing over the past 10 years makes me so sad. I like them but just can’t get my head around it. So I quit buying.

14 was the last vintage of Allemand I bought. Too rich for my blood now.

Same. I’m still hoping at least some of its current pricing has been built on the back of hype/hipsterism, and might therefore draw-back some in the future, but my gut tells me that’s not the case.

There are approx 500 cases of Reynard and 500 of Chaillot produced each year. I’m thinking prices probably aren’t going to moderate anytime soon.

I would be pleasantly surprised if you’re wrong. newhere

Glad you liked Ryan! Enjoy the other 2!

That has been said about many wines in the past. It never seems to happen.

Only with American wines.