Most bottles of a single wine from one vintage in your cellar

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Sarah Kirschbaum

Re: Most bottles of a single wine from one vintage in your cellar

#151 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 6th, 2020, 6:43 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 5:03 am
I think buying a solid case of something is more of a Bordeaux thing than a Burgundy thing, for example, with other regions possibly somewhere in between. If I want to buy 12 bottles of Pichon Lalande, for example, I buy 12 bottles of Pichon Lalande. However, if I want to buy 12 bottles of wine from say Rossignol-Trapet, I have a huge number of wines to choose from. Even if I want to stick with Grand Crus, I could split a purchase between Chambertin, Latricieres Chambertin and Chapelle Chambertin. Maybe through in a few premier crus or even a villages GC. There have been times when I have purchased a case or more of wine from a specific producer (sometimes from a specific vintage, sometimes more mixed), esp. when I have visited them, but very rarely have I purchased a solid case of one wine. For example, I bought around 3 cases of Truchot 2005 Burgundy, but this included 7 different wines.

Buying four cases of one wine in a specific vintage, like Mark did with Vieux Chateau Certan, really seems like a Bordeaux thing. Even asking a question limiting this to a single wine seems like a Bordeaux thing.
I see where you're coming from, that the nature of the region might lead one more towards concentration, thus buying in cases is somehow a "Bordeaux mentality." Interesting notion. But I think the idea works more in the land of metaphor than reality, except in the UK where they love their claret and wines are often only offered by the case. :) Even the small sample set in this thread doesn't seem to reveal that the case buyers are overwhelmingly Bordeaux folks by nature.

I buy cases, sometimes multiple cases, of Riesling, champagne, alto Piemonte wines, spanish whites, rose, and even Burgundy, though given current pricing it's more the "lesser" wines like Savigny, Monthelie and Chablis these days. Even in Savigny or Chablis, I tend to buy a case of one or two of my favorites within a given producer. I don't want 2 mixed cases of Bize Savigny, I want a case each of my two favorites. Same with Fevre - I'll take a case of the Cote Bouguerots and a case of the Preuses, and leave the others alone. Most of the friends I drink wine and socialize with most often are similar.

I think we return to simple personal preference and constraints. The Bordeaux Mentality seems like a stretch to me.
Last edited by Sarah Kirschbaum on June 6th, 2020, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#152 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » June 6th, 2020, 6:43 am

G. Bienstock wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 5:46 pm
15 bottles left of 07 JJ Prum GH Auslese. Hard to resist at 19.99.
Splits or 750?

Their 07 WS Auslese is one of my favorites.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Sarah Kirschbaum

#153 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 6th, 2020, 7:09 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 6:40 am
Good point. Are there any wines not from Bordeaux that are regularly sold in 12 bottle wooden cases? Even non wooden cases I think most higher end burgs and rhones are sold in 6-pack boxes.
Good point. Certainly from a historical standpoint, the OWC thing goes to the Bordeaux Mentality perspective. I'd bet there are some non-Bordeaux 12 OWCs, but you're right that a lot of them are 6's.

I don't have the data to say for sure how many high end wines are sold in 12 pack cardboard versus 6, but I know I have quite a few 12s in the cellar from Burgundy, Piedmont, the Loire, and other less high-end regions.

G. Bienstock

#154 Post by G. Bienstock » June 6th, 2020, 7:21 am

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 6:43 am
G. Bienstock wrote:
Splits or 750?

750's. I actually made a double order by mistake, now I just have to be patient.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

JohnP

#155 Post by JohnP » June 6th, 2020, 7:24 am

2013 Produttori de Barbaresco Riserva (Asili) -11
2001 Spring Mountain - 8
2013 Bartolo Mascarello - 7
John Pollard

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#156 Post by Mattstolz » June 6th, 2020, 9:58 am

im sitting at 5 bottles each of 2015 Produttori Normale and 2017 Kelley Fox Hyland Coury. The most I have of anything else is 2 bottles!

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#157 Post by Howard Cooper » June 6th, 2020, 11:23 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:
I think buying a solid case of something is more of a Bordeaux thing than a Burgundy thing, for example, with other regions possibly somewhere in between. If I want to buy 12 bottles of Pichon Lalande, for example, I buy 12 bottles of Pichon Lalande. However, if I want to buy 12 bottles of wine from say Rossignol-Trapet, I have a huge number of wines to choose from. Even if I want to stick with Grand Crus, I could split a purchase between Chambertin, Latricieres Chambertin and Chapelle Chambertin. Maybe through in a few premier crus or even a villages GC. There have been times when I have purchased a case or more of wine from a specific producer (sometimes from a specific vintage, sometimes more mixed), esp. when I have visited them, but very rarely have I purchased a solid case of one wine. For example, I bought around 3 cases of Truchot 2005 Burgundy, but this included 7 different wines.

Buying four cases of one wine in a specific vintage, like Mark did with Vieux Chateau Certan, really seems like a Bordeaux thing. Even asking a question limiting this to a single wine seems like a Bordeaux thing.
I see where you're coming from, that the nature of the region might lead one more towards concentration, thus buying in cases is somehow a "Bordeaux mentality." Interesting notion. But I think the idea works more in the land of metaphor than reality, except in the UK where they love their claret and wines are often only offered by the case. :) Even the small sample set in this thread doesn't seem to reveal that the case buyers are overwhelmingly Bordeaux folks by nature.

I buy cases, sometimes multiple cases, of Riesling, champagne, alto Piemonte wines, spanish whites, rose, and even Burgundy, though given current pricing it's more the "lesser" wines like Savigny, Monthelie and Chablis these days. Even in Savigny or Chablis, I tend to buy a case of one or two of my favorites within a given producer. I don't want 2 mixed cases of Bize Savigny, I want a case each of my two favorites. Same with Fevre - I'll take a case of the Cote Bouguerots and a case of the Preuses, and leave the others alone. Most of the friends I drink wine and socialize with most often are similar.

I think we return to simple personal preference and constraints. The Bordeaux Mentality seems like a stretch to me.
I don't think you are a typical buyer of wines, even among people on this board. It is not easy to buy full cases of grand cru Burgundies at most small wineries, even directly from many producers. Many producers (and even retailers) demand a balanced order - one has to buy lesser wines in order to get access to the gems. Fevre is pretty unusual because it is a huge producers (owned by the same company that owns Jadot).
Last edited by Howard Cooper on June 6th, 2020, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Sean S y d n e y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#158 Post by Sean S y d n e y » June 6th, 2020, 11:28 am

3 bottles.

Due to the lack of private wine shops here and laws indicating wines must be sold by the case from private distributors who have the good stuff, it's really difficult for someone like me to afford and store cases of wine, even 6-packs. I've been able to split some cases with friends and some importers are a little bit more fuzzy with the rules if they have a relationship with you but it still makes it exceedingly difficult to buy good wine in ANY quantity.
Instagram: @seansydney

Sarah Kirschbaum

#159 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 6th, 2020, 11:53 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 11:23 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:

I don't think you are a typical buyer of wines, even among people on this board. It is not easy to buy full cases of grand cru Burgundies at most small wineries, even directly from many producers. Many producers (and even retailers) demand a balanced order - one has to buy lesser wines in order to get access to the gems. Fevre is pretty unusual because it is a huge producers (owned by the same company that owns Jadot).
You appear to be making an incorrect association there. I never claimed to be buying cases of grand cru burgundies from small producers. I never said anything at all about grand crus, except the two Fevre wines I listed. In fact I made a point of saying my burgundy purchases these days are limited to lesser appellations. I've also very specifically said "price and availability permitting" regarding my case purchases.

So while I may not be typical, it has nothing whatsoever to do with being able to buy highly allocated trophy wines that most people can't.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 6th, 2020, 12:24 pm

You probably can’t easily buy case quantities of Rousseau Chambertin or something without going to auction but I don’t think it’d be that hard to buy a case of say, 2016 Jouan Clos St Denis, or 2017 Lignier Clos de la Roche, because I did without any special relationships with importers or whatever. You can probably piece together cases of recent release DRC if you want and are willing to spend the money.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#161 Post by Howard Cooper » June 6th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 12:24 pm
You probably can’t easily buy case quantities of Rousseau Chambertin or something without going to auction but I don’t think it’d be that hard to buy a case of say, 2016 Jouan Clos St Denis, or 2017 Lignier Clos de la Roche, because I did without any special relationships with importers or whatever. You can probably piece together cases of recent release DRC if you want and are willing to spend the money.
The importer of Jouan is Weygandt-Metzler. Peter Weygandt, who owns Weygandt-Metzler, also owns a retail store in DC selling Jouan. I am not sure of anyone else in this area selling Jouan. I would not be able to buy a case of Clos St. Denis there. In their offering of the 2017s, for example, they only had 12 bottles of the Clos St. Denis. You must have an unbelievable source.

From the email they sent out:

Philippe Jouan Clos St. Denis Grand Cru 2017
$250.00
12 BOTTLES AVAILABLE

Red wine. Côte de Nuits, Burgundy, France. Sustainable. 100% Pinot Noir. "The king of the cellar, the 2017 Clos Saint-Denis Grand Cru wafts from the glass with expressive aromas of wild berries, dried rose petal, grilled game bird, rich soil and blood orange. On the palate, it's full-bodied, ample and broad, with a deep core of succulent fruit that cloaks its elegantly satiny and supple structuring tannins, concluding with a long, fragrant finish. This is a lovely Clos Saint-Denis that will be well worth seeking out in bottle." — 92-94+ Points, William Kelley, The Wine Advocate (Jan. 2019)
Howard

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#162 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 6th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 1:00 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 12:24 pm
The importer of Jouan is Weygandt-Metzler. Peter Weygandt, who owns Weygandt-Metzler, also owns a retail store in DC selling Jouan. I am not sure of anyone else in this area selling Jouan. I would not be able to buy a case of Clos St. Denis there. In their offering of the 2017s, for example, they only had 12 bottles of the Clos St. Denis. You must have an unbelievable source.

From the email they sent out:

Philippe Jouan Clos St. Denis Grand Cru 2017
$250.00
12 BOTTLES AVAILABLE

Red wine. Côte de Nuits, Burgundy, France. Sustainable. 100% Pinot Noir. "The king of the cellar, the 2017 Clos Saint-Denis Grand Cru wafts from the glass with expressive aromas of wild berries, dried rose petal, grilled game bird, rich soil and blood orange. On the palate, it's full-bodied, ample and broad, with a deep core of succulent fruit that cloaks its elegantly satiny and supple structuring tannins, concluding with a long, fragrant finish. This is a lovely Clos Saint-Denis that will be well worth seeking out in bottle." — 92-94+ Points, William Kelley, The Wine Advocate (Jan. 2019)
It’s not all from one source. I got a lot from Crush, but other sources as well. I think Crush has a lot of it. They’ve sent 3-4 rounds of offers on it and the last one said they had 6 mags in stock so my guess is they had quite a bit more of 750s as they were offering discounts on 3 bottle lots for $209. They still list it as in stock on their website at 219.

Arvid Rosengren

#163 Post by Arvid Rosengren » June 6th, 2020, 2:19 pm

2009 Clos Rougeard Saumur-Champigny Les Poyeux

Hard to believe now, but it's not that long ago that no one cared all that much about those wines.
ITB - King Street Sommeliers

Mike C.

#164 Post by Mike C. » June 6th, 2020, 2:31 pm

Arvid Rosengren wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Hard to believe now, but it's not that long ago that no one cared all that much about those wines.
Welcome to WB, hope to see you at a Wine School in the near future!
h@0

Arvid Rosengren

#165 Post by Arvid Rosengren » June 6th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Mike C. wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 2:31 pm
Arvid Rosengren wrote:

Welcome to WB, hope to see you at a Wine School in the near future!
Thanks Mike! For sure, can't wait to be back in the real world.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#166 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 6th, 2020, 3:18 pm

G. Bienstock wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 7:21 am
G. Bienstock wrote:
Splits or 750?

750's. I actually made a double order by mistake, now I just have to be patient.
Glenn, that is a pretty amazing deal, and that reminds me of yet another case purchase in my past (the longer this thread goes on, the more of these "I never do that" purchases come back to my memory!) - the great Premier Cru 2003 Christoffel deal. Many here have posted about it in other threads, but the infamous PC, years before their implosion, bought up a ton of 2003 Christoffel, apparently from some Belgian shop that I assume needed cash or something, and offered them for nothing. This wasn't that long after regular release, so probably 2004 or 2005. I don't remember everything I bought, but it certainly included Urz Wurz Auslese *** and Erd Trep Auslese ** because those are the ones I still have in the cellar. I think I bought a full case of each of those, and of at least one more - I think it was a Spätlese. I don't remember the price, but it was crazy. maybe $10-12 for Spätlese and $15 for Auslese? I really can't remember, but these things don't come along often and one has to be a person of action when they do! [cheers.gif]

Ramon C

#167 Post by Ramon C » June 6th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Arvid Rosengren wrote:

Nice.

At some point, 2007 Rougeard Les Poyeux tied as one of my biggest specific-wine holdings. With escalated pricing that made me shy away from chasing any more, I was able to trade-away and/or sell some and widened my Rougeard verticals.
@brera

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#168 Post by Kirk.Grant » June 6th, 2020, 3:24 pm

The most I have is 12 bottles. 2017 Château Carbonnieux Blanc and they are pending delivery at this time. I don't have the storage space to justify buying more than 12 bottles of anything at this time.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#169 Post by Howard Cooper » June 6th, 2020, 5:36 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 3:18 pm
G. Bienstock wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 7:21 am

Splits or 750?

Glenn, that is a pretty amazing deal, and that reminds me of yet another case purchase in my past (the longer this thread goes on, the more of these "I never do that" purchases come back to my memory!) - the great Premier Cru 2003 Christoffel deal. Many here have posted about it in other threads, but the infamous PC, years before their implosion, bought up a ton of 2003 Christoffel, apparently from some Belgian shop that I assume needed cash or something, and offered them for nothing. This wasn't that long after regular release, so probably 2004 or 2005. I don't remember everything I bought, but it certainly included Urz Wurz Auslese *** and Erd Trep Auslese ** because those are the ones I still have in the cellar. I think I bought a full case of each of those, and of at least one more - I think it was a Spätlese. I don't remember the price, but it was crazy. maybe $10-12 for Spätlese and $15 for Auslese? I really can't remember, but these things don't come along often and one has to be a person of action when they do! [cheers.gif]
I bought some of these as well. I don't really remember that well, but I thought the wines (including Auslesen) were under $10.
Howard

Arvid Rosengren

#170 Post by Arvid Rosengren » June 6th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Ramon C wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 3:19 pm
Arvid Rosengren wrote:

Nice.

At some point, 2007 Rougeard Les Poyeux tied as one of my biggest specific-wine holdings. With escalated pricing that made me shy away from chasing any more, I was able to trade-away and/or sell some and widened my Rougeard verticals.
Yeah I don't buy it any more. If I had stayed where I was at the time (Europe) I might have, but here in the US... no way. As a restaurant buyer at the time, I remember buying so much of a vintage (I think it was 2010) that I had to hide it from my employer, afraid they'd find out what I was spending the budget on. I bet they were pretty happy about that investment later on...

I also must admit that as great as I thought the white Brézè was, I've had too many prematurely (for Chenin) oxidized bottles of that era (10-15 year old now). Chenin carries oxidation better than most grapes obviously, but still... seems to me there are worthier unicorns to chase.

Arvid Rosengren

#171 Post by Arvid Rosengren » June 6th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Kirk.Grant wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 3:24 pm
The most I have is 12 bottles. 2017 Château Carbonnieux Blanc and they are pending delivery at this time. I don't have the storage space to justify buying more than 12 bottles of anything at this time.
Such a great wine though, and good value. White Bordeaux seems like no-ones favorite at the moment, glad people are still buying and enjoying it.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#172 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 6th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 5:36 pm
I bought some of these as well. I don't really remember that well, but I thought the wines (including Auslesen) were under $10.
Maybe - if so, even better! I know that I wasn’t regularly buying riesling then (an error I’ve since corrected), so to get me to buy 3 or 4 total cases across the wines on offer, the price must have been remarkable.

While we’re on the topic - have you had any issues with the corks on those wines? I have found them to be in the neck so tightly that they break in half any time I use a regular corkscrew. A prong opener works fine, but I often bring these to my Dad’s for Thanksgiving, and I usually remember that these need that opener only when the cork breaks, instead of when I leave my house...

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member

#173 Post by DanielP » June 6th, 2020, 8:02 pm

I got a bunch of '15 Prum WS auslese halves for 15 each all in after tax/ship. I actually find splits kind of annoying to store, because I have to pay the same price as a full bottle in off sites here in NYC, and it's hard to stack them in eurocaves. So I ended up drinking a decent number young while the full sized bottles (which were purchased at a more normal price) slumber
P@ik

Eric Egan

#174 Post by Eric Egan » June 7th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Probably Tondonia Rosado 2008 at somewhere between 2-3 cases. Then Bousse d’Or 1980 at just over two cases (I got a stunning offer on it last year). I have, of all things, 2 cases of Mas Daumas Gassac 1983 and 2007 Egon Muller Auslese as well.
Composer and Academic | UK

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#175 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 7th, 2020, 2:31 pm

Have you tried the Bousse d’Or. That is an interesting find.
ITB

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#176 Post by Howard Cooper » June 7th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Eric Egan wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 2:12 pm
Probably Tondonia Rosado 2008 at somewhere between 2-3 cases. Then Bousse d’Or 1980 at just over two cases (I got a stunning offer on it last year). I have, of all things, 2 cases of Mas Daumas Gassac 1983 and 2007 Egon Muller Auslese as well.
Any Bousse d'Or from before 1997 would be exciting. How is the 1980. I don't remember having any of their wines from the vintage, but I rather liked 1980 wines generally more than the critics did. Curious as to how 1980s are holding up as I have not had one in a long time. Great find.
Howard

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#177 Post by Barry L i p t o n » June 7th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 6:07 am
Lately I have been on a quest to find VCC 2014; it is now at four cases, the largest single holding in the cellar. Yours?
Birth year wine for someone?

I figure that wine won't be coming around for another 10 years, but maybe you are younger than your avatar.

Ramon C

#178 Post by Ramon C » June 7th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Arvid Rosengren wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 6:38 pm
Ramon C wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 3:19 pm
Arvid Rosengren wrote:

Nice.

Yeah I don't buy it any more. If I had stayed where I was at the time (Europe) I might have, but here in the US... no way. As a restaurant buyer at the time, I remember buying so much of a vintage (I think it was 2010) that I had to hide it from my employer, afraid they'd find out what I was spending the budget on. I bet they were pretty happy about that investment later on...

I also must admit that as great as I thought the white Brézè was, I've had too many prematurely (for Chenin) oxidized bottles of that era (10-15 year old now). Chenin carries oxidation better than most grapes obviously, but still... seems to me there are worthier unicorns to chase.
Have only had 2 white different vintages Brézè, each as restaurant order during trips in Paris. While the bottles were sound, they never made me pound the table at any point, especially given their prices.
@brera

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#179 Post by Marshall Manning » June 7th, 2020, 3:39 pm

Eric Egan wrote:
2 cases of Mas Daumas Gassac 1983
How's that drinking now Eric? It's been a long time since I've had that one, but I bet it's delicious.
Marshall

Eric Egan

#180 Post by Eric Egan » June 8th, 2020, 1:43 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 2:31 pm
I've had a few of the bottles. One never really came out of its shell (I opened the lowest level first - only 4cm but as the others were <2cm I imagine it had a weaker cork) but the other was superb - pretty much at its peak but it's going nowhere anytime soon. I agree with Howard that the vintage is generally underrated - one of the ones that always catches my eye on a list as it tends to offer good value compared with the more lauded vintages. I found these at a regional merchant in France last year for €80 a bottle, which I thought was a steal.
Marshall Manning wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 3:39 pm
Eric Egan wrote:
2 cases of Mas Daumas Gassac 1983
How's that drinking now Eric? It's been a long time since I've had that one, but I bet it's delicious.
There's quite a bit of bottle variation but the good bottles are superb. I've had half a dozen in the last few years and I'd say three of them were excellent, one was well past it, and the other two were interesting - they gave a lot of pleasure even if they were on the downward slope. Still, they're definitely worth looking out for.
Composer and Academic | UK

Markus S

#181 Post by Markus S » June 8th, 2020, 4:59 am

John Kight wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 10:16 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 11:08 am
Marshall Manning wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 10:37 am

Same here, John. I generally buy 3-6 bottles depending on price. I like variety, so wouldn't want multiple cases of most wines, but I guess if you have enough money to where 15 cases of a particular wine still leaves with you enough to buy other wines then it's not a problem [cheers.gif] .
It is incorrect to assume that either one likes variety, or one buys wine in quantity. One doesn't preclude the other. I acknowledge, though, that my ability to have both breadth and depth is predicated on the fact that I'm lucky to have plenty of space, and some disposable income
Good points...I would add one more factor (beyond variety, disposable income and availability of space) which is very relevant to my own purchase quantities. That is the fact that I purchase only wines I intend to consume in my lifetime, and not wine that I have any intention of treating as an investment, or even selling for any reason (beyond the occasional sale to a friend, etc.). I enjoy drinking Champagne, Bordeaux, Rhone (Northern and Southern), Tuscan (of all sorts), Taurasi, Sicilians, German and Austrian, Burgundy, Barolo and Barbaresco, etc. Within each of those categories, I enjoy buying from a variety of sub-regions and producers, and also have some favourite producers from which I want a few bottles from every solid vintage. The reality is that if I were to buy in case quantities, I would quickly have 10,000+ bottles, which would result in me having wine that would become mature faster than I could consume it, and even if timing weren't important, I'd have more wine than I could possibly consume in my lifetime....So even if I had unlimited budget and storage, I would have that concern.

On the other hand, if I were comfortable viewing my wine as a "collection" or an "investment", OR if I were satisfied limiting my purchases to a handful of "favourite producers" within each region, then I'd be fine buying in quantity. I can't quite get to that point, however, as many new and exciting producers (and even formerly obscure wine regions and grape varieties) are constantly coming online, and on top of that, my tastes/preferences tend to both change and cycle over time.
John, my thoughts exactly. The world is a big place and I'd rather not make it smaller.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#182 Post by Howard Cooper » June 8th, 2020, 5:37 am

Eric Egan wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 1:43 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 2:31 pm
I've had a few of the bottles. One never really came out of its shell (I opened the lowest level first - only 4cm but as the others were <2cm I imagine it had a weaker cork) but the other was superb - pretty much at its peak but it's going nowhere anytime soon. I agree with Howard that the vintage is generally underrated - one of the ones that always catches my eye on a list as it tends to offer good value compared with the more lauded vintages. I found these at a regional merchant in France last year for €80 a bottle, which I thought was a steal.

I must admit that while I very much enjoyed the 1980s I had (made great drinking in the 1980s and 1990s while waiting for other Burgundies to mature), I never figured on them making it to 40 as superb wines. You would think that after 40-50 years drinking Burgundy I would have stopped being amazed by the ability of these wonderful wines to age, but it has not happened yet. Fascinating.
Howard

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#183 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 8th, 2020, 6:58 am

I think I may have had five bottles of 1980 Burgundy including two Ponsot Clos de la Roche, both profound. The others have been good except for a brilliant Phillips Leclerc Combe aux Moines.
ITB

Sarah Kirschbaum

#184 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 8th, 2020, 7:41 am

Markus S wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 4:59 am
John Kight wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 10:16 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 11:08 am

It is incorrect to assume that either one likes variety, or one buys wine in quantity. One doesn't preclude the other. I acknowledge, though, that my ability to have both breadth and depth is predicated on the fact that I'm lucky to have plenty of space, and some disposable income
Good points...I would add one more factor (beyond variety, disposable income and availability of space) which is very relevant to my own purchase quantities. That is the fact that I purchase only wines I intend to consume in my lifetime, and not wine that I have any intention of treating as an investment, or even selling for any reason (beyond the occasional sale to a friend, etc.). I enjoy drinking Champagne, Bordeaux, Rhone (Northern and Southern), Tuscan (of all sorts), Taurasi, Sicilians, German and Austrian, Burgundy, Barolo and Barbaresco, etc. Within each of those categories, I enjoy buying from a variety of sub-regions and producers, and also have some favourite producers from which I want a few bottles from every solid vintage. The reality is that if I were to buy in case quantities, I would quickly have 10,000+ bottles, which would result in me having wine that would become mature faster than I could consume it, and even if timing weren't important, I'd have more wine than I could possibly consume in my lifetime....So even if I had unlimited budget and storage, I would have that concern.

On the other hand, if I were comfortable viewing my wine as a "collection" or an "investment", OR if I were satisfied limiting my purchases to a handful of "favourite producers" within each region, then I'd be fine buying in quantity. I can't quite get to that point, however, as many new and exciting producers (and even formerly obscure wine regions and grape varieties) are constantly coming online, and on top of that, my tastes/preferences tend to both change and cycle over time.
John, my thoughts exactly. The world is a big place and I'd rather not make it smaller.
The problem I find with trying lots of new things after this long in the game is that most of them are mediocre at best. I don't mean to imply that I've discovered all the good to great wines in the world - certainly I have not - but I'm no longer willing to wade through a bunch of wine that is just okay to me when I could be drinking wine that I am almost positive I will like a lot. I still try new things when I'm traveling or at a friend's house or out with colleagues, but it's rare that any unknowns impress me, and I often find myself wishing wistfully for what's in my cellar.

I understand that the allure of the new and different or the discovery and exploration might be a higher priority for some than the objective enjoyment of the wine, especially for those just starting out. But not for me.

A.Gillette

#185 Post by A.Gillette » June 8th, 2020, 8:31 am

Has to the the 2017 Keller Kirchspiel for me. I thought it was the best kirchspiel yet on release and I bought whatever I could find. I think I got close to 3 cases with a few magnums.
Alex

Mike R

#186 Post by Mike R » June 13th, 2020, 9:49 pm

Br1an Th0rne wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 6:34 am
Tie at 2 cases each:2009 Pontet Canet, 2005 Grand Puy Lacoste.
Any notes on the 2009 Pontet Canet? Considering opening one.
... 0 p 3 r

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#187 Post by Br1an Th0rne » June 14th, 2020, 6:14 am

Mike R wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 9:49 pm
Br1an Th0rne wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 6:34 am
Tie at 2 cases each:2009 Pontet Canet, 2005 Grand Puy Lacoste.
Any notes on the 2009 Pontet Canet? Considering opening one.
I haven’t cracked into them yet; from what I’ve read from others, it is drinkable now, but benefits from a 3+ hour decant. I am trying to hold off until 2025.

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#188 Post by Russell Faulkner » June 14th, 2020, 7:20 am

I seem to have already ended up with 19 bottles of a 2019 Falkenstein Spatlese!

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#189 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » June 14th, 2020, 7:43 am

Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 7:20 am
Which one? There are too many good bottles. I had to be "choosy" with my 2019 offer and limited to 6 bottles for the ones I really wanted.

[cheers.gif]
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#190 Post by Russell Faulkner » June 14th, 2020, 8:07 am

June 14th, 2020, 7:43 am
Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 7:20 am
Which one? There are too many good bottles. I had to be "choosy" with my 2019 offer and limited to 6 bottles for the ones I really wanted.

[cheers.gif]
AP14. Opened a bottle this week. Electric.

Lars Carlberg

#191 Post by Lars Carlberg » June 14th, 2020, 10:45 am

The 2019 Euchariusberg Spätlese AP 14 comes from an old-vine parcel nicknamed Ternes. Despite the very low yields, it was enough for one cask. This Spätlese had only 88 degrees Oechsle, so it's lighter than a lot of so-called Kabinetts from the same vintage. I'm really glad you like it.

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#192 Post by Russell Faulkner » June 15th, 2020, 4:48 am

Lars Carlberg wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 10:45 am
The 2019 Euchariusberg Spätlese AP 14 comes from an old-vine parcel nicknamed Ternes. Despite the very low yields, it was enough for one cask. This Spätlese had only 88 degrees Oechsle, so it's lighter than a lot of so-called Kabinetts from the same vintage. I'm really glad you like it.
Lars, I'm curious, what happens to any 'overflow' should there be for example 1.25 casks, I don't think there is a Estate Wine to 'declassify' into?

Lars Carlberg

#193 Post by Lars Carlberg » June 15th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 4:48 am
Lars Carlberg wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 10:45 am
Lars, I'm curious, what happens to any 'overflow' should there be for example 1.25 casks, I don't think there is a Estate Wine to 'declassify' into?
That's a great question, Russell. If there is any "overflow" after filling up a cask, it either goes into a cask that needs a little topping up or is put into a cask for "leftovers," which can then be used for ullage or as a "house wine." That's right. We don't produce an estate wine.

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

#194 Post by Mike Stoneking » June 15th, 2020, 6:51 pm

12 bottles is my max, 19 different times. Many of these were years ago as I have too much wine and have moved to diversify. 8 of those 19 were Bedrock wines. 3 of these were 2007 Cameron Hughes cabernets. Most recent was the 2016 Andremily Syrah #5 when 2 CC requests both came in.
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#195 Post by Kirk.Grant » June 15th, 2020, 7:03 pm

36 bottles...on a pre-order. The most I've ever bought of any one wine. Before that it was (21) of the 1995 Musar
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Arvid Rosengren

#196 Post by Arvid Rosengren » June 15th, 2020, 7:07 pm

A.Gillette wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 8:31 am
Has to the the 2017 Keller Kirchspiel for me. I thought it was the best kirchspiel yet on release and I bought whatever I could find. I think I got close to 3 cases with a few magnums.
Now that I am jealous of. It's my daughter's birth year and I've been snatching up all the Keller 2017 I can find and afford. But 3 cases of that is pretty spectacular.

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#197 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » June 19th, 2020, 10:11 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 1:08 pm
Does all those cases of de Négoce folks are buying count?
I think this might be more true now, and definitely as a producer.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Mark Henderson

#198 Post by Mark Henderson » June 20th, 2020, 7:57 pm

I very rarely buy more than three or four bottles of anything nowadays, as I much prefer variety.
6 btls is the most for me of both 2005 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume and 2010 Raymond Lafon Sauternes.

Billy Hall

#199 Post by Billy Hall » June 23rd, 2020, 12:52 pm

Took a look on CT...top 3 are 61 bottles of '15 Canon (inc 3 Mags), 47 bottles of '10 GPL (1 of which is a 3L), and 29 bottles of '10 Montrose. 2010 is the birth year.

jordan whitehead

#200 Post by jordan whitehead » June 23rd, 2020, 9:59 pm

Champagnes take up the top 5 easily.

08 Dom and 02 Krug, top 2
www.annaswish.org

Return to “Wine Talk”