Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Most bottles of a single wine from one vintage in your cellar

#101 Post by Mike Evans » June 3rd, 2020, 9:22 pm

Keith Levenberg wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 7:53 pm
34 bottles left of 2014 CRB Pif, followed by 17x 2000 Leoville Barton, everything else is a case or less.
Damn, and I’d thought I bought a lot of 2014 Pif.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#102 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 4th, 2020, 5:05 am

Markus S wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 7:18 pm
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 11:22 am
...all because of special deal circumstances -
I find those 'special circumstances' to be getting rarer and rarer. Besides a good wine at a good price, don't see the reason to stock up on 1 particular wine since there are always new vintages coming out and, if you really enjoy following a winery, those vintage variations are more interesting than having an only child.
Funny - I have always thought of it as wanting to have many conversations with the same beloved person, in addition to sometimes meeting new people, rather than never talking to anyone more than once.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Pat Burton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Pat Burton » June 4th, 2020, 5:19 am

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 2:07 pm
If I may ask those people who buy a case or more of a single bottle and vintage:

1. How big is your total collection?
2. What percentage of your total collection is made up of 6-12+ bottle quantities of a single wine from one vintage (not a single wine across multiple vintages)?
3. Did you try before you buy?
I have 18 different wines in quantities at or exceeding 6 bottles. Of those, only two cost me more than $50/bottle (2010 and 2014 Cappellano). I've only purchased a full case or more three times that I can recall: 2007 LdH Tondonia, 2010 Antonio Vallana e Figlio Spanna Cuvee Bernardo Vallana, and 2009 Lannessan. Most of the time I buy in the 3-4 bottle number. Those 18 wines, represent less than 20% of my cellar. I'm always bumping into storage space and budget constraints so I try to choose really carefully what I'm willing to commit the space and money to when buying in quantity (for me), especially for a wine that will take 10+ years to enter into my preferred drinking window.

Given space restraints, I actually have largely given up on recent release Bordeaux even though I love and drink a fair amount of it. There just aren't very many Chateaux that are hard to source closer to maturity and the price of mature wines compared to new release generally makes sense for me given the specific wines I buy (not the upper echelon) and the long term cost of storage (and space). In contrast, Barolo and Barbaresco are much more difficult to source well stored mature bottles and prices continue to increase rapdily. Therefore, I've dedicated a much larger percentage of my budget and space to acquiring and storing these wines. Nebbiolo represents over 20% of my cellar.

I don't often have the chance to try wines before I buy them. I use my experience with the producer, information on vintage, and sometimes professional reviews to help make purchasing decisions. Most of the wines I buy in any quantity sell out relatively quickly compared to when shipping windows across the country are open.
CT - Prof B

Jim Brennan

#104 Post by Jim Brennan » June 4th, 2020, 5:25 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 6:07 am
Lately I have been on a quest to find VCC 2014; it is now at four cases, the largest single holding in the cellar. Yours?
Huet Cuvee Constance 1989, close to two cases (well, maybe more like 20 bottles, I've been behind on logging).

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 4th, 2020, 5:37 am

MitchTallan wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 9:39 am
So Mark, care to share your best bets on obtaining '14 VCC at a good price?
You will now have to go through Mark, sir! He owns the market.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

StevenB

#106 Post by StevenB » June 4th, 2020, 6:04 am

I almost never buy more than 6 bottles of any wine, but I made exceptions for Jean Macle - 2005 Château Chalon (12 bottles) and Jacques Puffeney - 2012 Arbois Vin Jaune (10 bottles).
S. Bauer

Paul @bbott

#107 Post by Paul @bbott » June 4th, 2020, 6:13 am

Possibly cheating, but I have 12 halves and 12 bottles of 2016 Cantemerle, I am aiming to check it’s progress through the halves, and hit the bottles when I think it’s near it’s peak.

K Kl@dder

#108 Post by K Kl@dder » June 4th, 2020, 6:31 am

alan weinberg wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 8:00 am
similar thread years ago got the mic drop when Rosania said he had 500 cases of 96 Salon, admittedly 6 bottle cases, but geez . . . 3000 bottles, at that time about $200/b, now close to $1000/b.
I've gotta ask, what's the end game in this situation? With 500 cases, as another poster pointed out, that's a bottle a day for 8+ years. I'd get tired of it after maybe 2 straight years??? I've also got to think if it's hold then sell at auction, they have to release small quantities on a regular basis to auction, otherwise the market would be flooded and price erode quickly. A slow realization of profit over multiple years with risk of damage to the asset and storage costs. Or are there serious collectors who will pick up 100-200 cases at a time? I'm no where near that end of the market, so very naive. As my mom always told me when I was looking at my 1985 Topps baseball cards, it's only worth what someone will pay you for it. I'm A) seriously jealous, and B) scratching my head what they will do with it.
K e i t h

Mike Ott
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Mike Ott » June 4th, 2020, 6:51 am

14 bottles of Ultreia St Jacques...our go to daily drinker and for under $20 can't beat it.

Markus S

#110 Post by Markus S » June 4th, 2020, 6:57 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 5:05 am
Markus S wrote:
...Besides a good wine at a good price, don't see the reason to stock up on 1 particular wine since there are always new vintages coming out and, if you really enjoy following a winery, those vintage variations are more interesting than having an only child.
Funny - I have always thought of it as wanting to have many conversations with the same beloved person, in addition to sometimes meeting new people, rather than never talking to anyone more than once.
I can see your point but think of why young children are welcome and adored in a nursing home: they bring a sense of the future and hope to the lives of the residents who usually do not have that vitality in their everyday lives. With age in wines, the faults stick out all the more as there is no place left to hide and we become critical of them. But the flipside of being critical is forgiveness, and I can see how that would be comforting.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Sarah Kirschbaum

#111 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 4th, 2020, 7:11 am

Markus S wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 6:57 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Markus S wrote:
...Besides a good wine at a good price, don't see the reason to stock up on 1 particular wine since there are always new vintages coming out and, if you really enjoy following a winery, those vintage variations are more interesting than having an only child.
I can see your point but think of why young children are welcome and adored in a nursing home: they bring a sense of the future and hope to the lives of the residents who usually do not have that vitality in their everyday lives. With age in wines, the faults stick out all the more as there is no place left to hide and we become critical of them. But the flipside of being critical is forgiveness, and I can see how that would be comforting.
That analogy is an argument against aging wines or drinking aged wines which, while potentially an interesting topic to debate, is only tangentially related to what we're discussing here.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Tom Reddick » June 4th, 2020, 7:19 am

A lifetime supply of 2008 Chateau Magdelaine in bottles and magnums.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » June 4th, 2020, 7:24 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Markus S wrote:
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
I find those 'special circumstances' to be getting rarer and rarer. Besides a good wine at a good price, don't see the reason to stock up on 1 particular wine since there are always new vintages coming out and, if you really enjoy following a winery, those vintage variations are more interesting than having an only child.
I think that this is well thought and a great way to look at it.

Regarding the topic... I generally cap at a case however there was this one time I could not lay off 2 cases of '98 Donjon. Quite a few holding and its drinking beautifully right now.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 4th, 2020, 7:25 am

Markus S wrote:
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
Would you rather have a case of 96 salon or four bottles each of 96, 97 and 99?

Jim Brennan

#115 Post by Jim Brennan » June 4th, 2020, 7:42 am

K Kl@dder wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 6:31 am
alan weinberg wrote:
similar thread years ago got the mic drop when Rosania said he had 500 cases of 96 Salon, admittedly 6 bottle cases, but geez . . . 3000 bottles, at that time about $200/b, now close to $1000/b.
I've gotta ask, what's the end game in this situation? With 500 cases, as another poster pointed out, that's a bottle a day for 8+ years. I'd get tired of it after maybe 2 straight years??? I've also got to think if it's hold then sell at auction, they have to release small quantities on a regular basis to auction, otherwise the market would be flooded and price erode quickly. A slow realization of profit over multiple years with risk of damage to the asset and storage costs. Or are there serious collectors who will pick up 100-200 cases at a time? I'm no where near that end of the market, so very naive. As my mom always told me when I was looking at my 1985 Topps baseball cards, it's only worth what someone will pay you for it. I'm A) seriously jealous, and B) scratching my head what they will do with it.
ROB ROSANIA WAS A [****] WHOSE AIM SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN TO MANIPULATE THE MARKET. Fυck him and the all-caps horse he rode in on. Did I also hear that he may have been one of the people who was thought to have resold bottles considered fakes?

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by R M Kriete » June 4th, 2020, 7:51 am

My experience:

Wine turns out great...."Damn, why didn't I buy a case?"

Wine turns out disappointing....."Damn, why did I buy so many?"
Last edited by R M Kriete on June 4th, 2020, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » June 4th, 2020, 8:02 am

R M Kriete wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 7:51 am
My experience:

Wine turns out great...."Damn, why didn't I buy a case?"

Wine turns out disappointing.....Damn, why did I buy so many?"
Still trying to figure this out. It's getting easier by going deep on certain producers I love.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Nick Christie

#118 Post by Nick Christie » June 4th, 2020, 8:05 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 7:25 am
Markus S wrote:
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
Would you rather have a case of 96 salon or four bottles each of 96, 97 and 99?
My sentiments, exactly. Perfectly, so.

This is primarily (one hopes) a friendly, open-ended survey thread. As Neal said above, everyone's approach can be as varied or as singular as the person enjoys. But for me, I've never grown 'tired' of anything beautiful, sophisticated, and multi-dimensional.

I may not listen to the same Mozart fantasia or Chopin nocturne every day, but sometimes I do for weeks on end... I'm the kind of person who will go back to the Met each day for a week to see the same two-room Cezanne exhibition because it's the one that spoke to me and I want to go back and back and back again because each day the color schemes dance and flow in ways that never tire and never are 'locked' into understanding.

I don't know Michael personally, but I instantly understand this cellar idea. And I mean on a humanist level, not a collecting level. It just makes total sense to me.

AndrewH

#119 Post by AndrewH » June 4th, 2020, 8:11 am

K Kl@dder wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 6:31 am
alan weinberg wrote:
A lot of kids' weddings?
Andrew H e i m e r t

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by Marshall Manning » June 4th, 2020, 8:36 am

Craig G wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 8:25 pm
I once had three cases of a Christoffel Kabinett. Then my wife did an intervention and explained that she really didn’t like Riesling.
I don't know where you live, Craig, but that is grounds in some states blush .
Marshall

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by Steve Brickley » June 4th, 2020, 9:11 am

14 1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia followed by
13 1989 Lynch Bages.
Steve

Dale Williams

#122 Post by Dale Williams » June 4th, 2020, 9:56 am

I have several things ('08 Magdelaine, various recent Kab/Spat,'12 Roty Gevrey) that I have full cases of, but nothing more.
Jim Brennan wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 5:25 am
Huet Cuvee Constance 1989, close to two cases (well, maybe more like 20 bottles, I've been behind on logging).
My favorite dessert wine of all time, and if you have 20 probably10-15 that aren't corked, congrats!

John Kight

#123 Post by John Kight » June 4th, 2020, 10:16 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 11:08 am
Marshall Manning wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 10:37 am
John Kight wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 8:56 am
This is me too. My wine interests/tastes are far too varied to commit to significant quantities of one wine. I typically buy 2-3 bottles of a wine, and if it's something I really love, I might buy 4-8 bottles (or even a case on very rare occasions where I find a truly great wine for a price I can't pass up).

I probably do have a full case quantity a handful of wines (3-4) purchased over the years, with most of the rest being in the 2-4 bottles/wine range.
Same here, John. I generally buy 3-6 bottles depending on price. I like variety, so wouldn't want multiple cases of most wines, but I guess if you have enough money to where 15 cases of a particular wine still leaves with you enough to buy other wines then it's not a problem [cheers.gif] .
It is incorrect to assume that either one likes variety, or one buys wine in quantity. One doesn't preclude the other. I acknowledge, though, that my ability to have both breadth and depth is predicated on the fact that I'm lucky to have plenty of space, and some disposable income
Good points...I would add one more factor (beyond variety, disposable income and availability of space) which is very relevant to my own purchase quantities. That is the fact that I purchase only wines I intend to consume in my lifetime, and not wine that I have any intention of treating as an investment, or even selling for any reason (beyond the occasional sale to a friend, etc.). I enjoy drinking Champagne, Bordeaux, Rhone (Northern and Southern), Tuscan (of all sorts), Taurasi, Sicilians, German and Austrian, Burgundy, Barolo and Barbaresco, etc. Within each of those categories, I enjoy buying from a variety of sub-regions and producers, and also have some favourite producers from which I want a few bottles from every solid vintage. The reality is that if I were to buy in case quantities, I would quickly have 10,000+ bottles, which would result in me having wine that would become mature faster than I could consume it, and even if timing weren't important, I'd have more wine than I could possibly consume in my lifetime....So even if I had unlimited budget and storage, I would have that concern.

On the other hand, if I were comfortable viewing my wine as a "collection" or an "investment", OR if I were satisfied limiting my purchases to a handful of "favourite producers" within each region, then I'd be fine buying in quantity. I can't quite get to that point, however, as many new and exciting producers (and even formerly obscure wine regions and grape varieties) are constantly coming online, and on top of that, my tastes/preferences tend to both change and cycle over time.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 4th, 2020, 10:57 am

John Kight wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 10:16 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 11:08 am
Marshall Manning wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 10:37 am

Same here, John. I generally buy 3-6 bottles depending on price. I like variety, so wouldn't want multiple cases of most wines, but I guess if you have enough money to where 15 cases of a particular wine still leaves with you enough to buy other wines then it's not a problem [cheers.gif] .
It is incorrect to assume that either one likes variety, or one buys wine in quantity. One doesn't preclude the other. I acknowledge, though, that my ability to have both breadth and depth is predicated on the fact that I'm lucky to have plenty of space, and some disposable income
Good points...I would add one more factor (beyond variety, disposable income and availability of space) which is very relevant to my own purchase quantities. That is the fact that I purchase only wines I intend to consume in my lifetime, and not wine that I have any intention of treating as an investment, or even selling for any reason (beyond the occasional sale to a friend, etc.). I enjoy drinking Champagne, Bordeaux, Rhone (Northern and Southern), Tuscan (of all sorts), Taurasi, Sicilians, German and Austrian, Burgundy, Barolo and Barbaresco, etc. Within each of those categories, I enjoy buying from a variety of sub-regions and producers, and also have some favourite producers from which I want a few bottles from every solid vintage. The reality is that if I were to buy in case quantities, I would quickly have 10,000+ bottles, which would result in me having wine that would become mature faster than I could consume it, and even if timing weren't important, I'd have more wine than I could possibly consume in my lifetime....So even if I had unlimited budget and storage, I would have that concern.

On the other hand, if I were comfortable viewing my wine as a "collection" or an "investment", OR if I were satisfied limiting my purchases to a handful of "favourite producers" within each region, then I'd be fine buying in quantity. I can't quite get to that point, however, as many new and exciting producers (and even formerly obscure wine regions and grape varieties) are constantly coming online, and on top of that, my tastes/preferences tend to both change and cycle over time.
That makes sense. I would say that I drink burgundy almost 80% of the time. Champagne is the second most common and I drink some occasional Rhône. Not much of anything else.

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by Russell Faulkner » June 4th, 2020, 11:00 am

27 wines with 13 or more bottles.

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by Jayson Cohen » June 4th, 2020, 11:32 am

Pat Burton wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 6:49 am
I don't buy individual wines in quantity very often, and even when I do, quantity means something different to me than to those who've already posted.
+1. Rarely have I bought even half a case.

2014 Juge Cornas was the exception for me at a couple cases.
I do have a case of 2007 R. López de Heredia Rioja Viña Tondonia.
How is it?

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 4th, 2020, 11:36 am

Nice score, Jason. I really like that 2014 Juge. Quite aromatic. Had one a couple months ago. I ended up with more than a case, had a chance at more and slipped. That was a mistake.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Michael O'Brien » June 4th, 2020, 11:44 am

As I got much older, I stopped buying wine by the case. Now I only buy 3 or 6 bottles of any single vintage. Most of what I buy are wines that are 15+ years old. No way, I am going to get caught with hundreds of bottles that I will never be able to drink.
PlanoWino

Jim Brennan

#129 Post by Jim Brennan » June 4th, 2020, 11:44 am

Dale Williams wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 9:56 am
I have several things ('08 Magdelaine, various recent Kab/Spat,'12 Roty Gevrey) that I have full cases of, but nothing more.
Jim Brennan wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 5:25 am
My favorite dessert wine of all time, and if you have 20 probably10-15 that aren't corked, congrats!
Raises my odds!! :)

So much better than d'yquem, and more affordable to boot!

Martin Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by Martin Petersen » June 4th, 2020, 11:46 am

Mascarello Monprivato 2006 with 29 bottles incl mags

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by Jayson Cohen » June 4th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Tom Reddick wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 7:19 am
A lifetime supply of 2008 Chateau Magdelaine in bottles and magnums.
[cheers.gif]

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by Jim Stewart » June 4th, 2020, 12:22 pm

Almost 100% of my wines are in quantities of 6 or fewer. The outlier is 14 bottles of 2015 AJ Adam Drohner Hofberg Riesling Kabinett. When my 6 bottles of this became 2 (because it is so damn tasty), I managed to find a source for the '15 and wanted to buy another 6. He offered me a great price on his last 12 bottles which I took. Looks like I might be able to do some aging with this quantity, but that will require discipline.
I still buy singletons for what I consider special occasion wines -Michael's multiple cases of '08 Dom and '08 Cristal are single bottles with me. My most frequent MO is to take a test drive with a wine contending for "in-the-rotation", and then usually buy 3 or 6 if I like it. Less often, I may buy two or three bottles of an untasted but well recommended wines that can age.
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

Nicos Neocleous

#133 Post by Nicos Neocleous » June 4th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 11:00 am
champagne.gif
Instagram: grapeexplorer

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by JDavisRoby » June 4th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Does all those cases of de Négoce folks are buying count?
Joshu@

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by Howard Cooper » June 4th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 2:07 pm

3. Did you try before you buy?
While I may not always have been in a position to try before I buy, in any case where I have bought a larger quantity of wine from a single producer (whether of one cuvee or several) I have had wine from the producer over many vintages. For example, and I know you love German wines, my largest purchases of German wines in 2015 were von Schubert, Schloss Lieser, Selbach, Reinhold Haart and Zilliken. The only one I tasted by the time of purchase was Selbach. I do not stay up at night worrying about my purchases of these wines.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Victor Hong

#136 Post by Victor Hong » June 4th, 2020, 5:39 pm

Michael O'Brien wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 11:44 am
As I got much older, I stopped buying wine by the case. Now I only buy 3 or 6 bottles of any single vintage. Most of what I buy are wines that are 15+ years old. No way, I am going to get caught with hundreds of bottles that I will never be able to drink.
Any collector who makes that mistake would never get to know afterwards.
WineHunter.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#137 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 4th, 2020, 6:11 pm

Nicos Neocleous wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 12:53 pm
Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 11:00 am
champagne.gif
Yes but it’s all Riesling, so doesn’t really count!

;)

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by Russell Faulkner » June 4th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Well mostly Champagne actually. But four of those are Bordeaux (2006 Trotanoy..).

David Baum

#139 Post by David Baum » June 4th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Same as many others I rarely buy more than 6. There are a dozen or so I have 6 of but the one outlier is 2016 Scherrer OMV Zin. I thought i bought a split case (1/2 OMV and 1/2 Shale Terrace) on futures but ended up with all OMV. I've got 10 of em left

Nate M

#140 Post by Nate M » June 4th, 2020, 9:15 pm

I tend to not buy a lot of one wine, but I bought a case and a half of “Andrew Will 2014 Two Blondes” when they had a spectacular deal on it. I think I have about 12 left.

Pat Burton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#141 Post by Pat Burton » June 5th, 2020, 4:35 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 11:32 am
Pat Burton wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 6:49 am
I don't buy individual wines in quantity very often, and even when I do, quantity means something different to me than to those who've already posted.
+1. Rarely have I bought even half a case.

2014 Juge Cornas was the exception for me at a couple cases.
I do have a case of 2007 R. López de Heredia Rioja Viña Tondonia.
How is it?
I don't know yet. I've been buying LdH wines for a long time and haven't found a vintage that wasn't worth the price. I'll open one in the fall when I get the shipment.
CT - Prof B

Nicos Neocleous

#142 Post by Nicos Neocleous » June 5th, 2020, 5:47 am

Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 8:55 pm
Well mostly Champagne actually. But four of those are Bordeaux (2006 Trotanoy..).
Top man! [cheers.gif] champagne.gif
Instagram: grapeexplorer

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#143 Post by Michael O'Brien » June 5th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 5:39 pm
Michael O'Brien wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 11:44 am
Any collector who makes that mistake would never get to know afterwards.
Wait until you are my age (77) Victor. Drinking a bottle every 3 to 5 years will last me from 9 - 30 years. It is highly unlikely that there will be an afterwards at some point. Or if there is, will I even be able to taste or smell wine much less open it. champagne.gif
PlanoWino

G. Bienstock

#144 Post by G. Bienstock » June 5th, 2020, 5:46 pm

15 bottles left of 07 JJ Prum GH Auslese. Hard to resist at 19.99.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

joejolesch

#145 Post by joejolesch » June 5th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Of the 94 wines in CT, I have 7 that are more than 6 bottles:

15 bottles of 2014 Blackbird Arise
10 bottles of 2015 Argentiera Bolgheri Superiore
10 bottles of 2019 Bedrock Ode to Lulu
9 bottles of LRA vina ardanza reserva, seleccion especial
7 bottles of 2008 Dom Perignon
7 bottles of 2016 Franny Beck Willamette Valley Pinot Noir
7 bottles of 2018 Franny Beck Rosé of Pinot Noir

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#146 Post by R. Frankel » June 5th, 2020, 7:49 pm

This was a fun CT exercise - the answer is 12 by the way. I was surprised to see that I'd bought full cases 15 times in my wine buying careen (typo intended!) but only four remain in my cellar. These are mostly 2010/2012 Bordeaux that aren't going to be touched for quite some time yet, and a case of 2015 Hubert Lignier MSD 1er VV (also buried deep). My most common strategy these days is to buy 3-4 bottles of things I'm pretty sure I'm going to like (based on tasting, or producer, or reviews, or this web site). I do occasionally buy 6 at auction for something that's in my personal sweet spot, especially if I'm getting a great price. But still 6+ of a single wine makes up about 11% of my cellar.

When I look at what I actually open I realize that I like diversity in what I drink. When I consider buying larger quantities of things, they'll almost always be things I'm certain to enjoy, and drinkable now. Some recent examples are 2001 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett and 2006 Cepparello.
Rich Frankel

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#147 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 5th, 2020, 8:09 pm

R. Frankel wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 7:49 pm
This was a fun CT exercise - the answer is 12 by the way. I was surprised to see that I'd bought full cases 15 times in my wine buying careen (typo intended!) but only four remain in my cellar. These are mostly 2010/2012 Bordeaux that aren't going to be touched for quite some time yet, and a case of 2015 Hubert Lignier MSD 1er VV (also buried deep). My most common strategy these days is to buy 3-4 bottles of things I'm pretty sure I'm going to like (based on tasting, or producer, or reviews, or this web site). I do occasionally buy 6 at auction for something that's in my personal sweet spot, especially if I'm getting a great price. But still 6+ of a single wine makes up about 11% of my cellar.

When I look at what I actually open I realize that I like diversity in what I drink. When I consider buying larger quantities of things, they'll almost always be things I'm certain to enjoy, and drinkable now. Some recent examples are 2001 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett and 2006 Cepparello.
Nice on the lignier

Paul Fountain

#148 Post by Paul Fountain » June 5th, 2020, 9:57 pm

I have 17 2001 Taylors Quinta de Vargellas Vintage ports. It was extremely well priced and was otherwise usually very difficult to find so I cleaned them out... twice.
Apart from that, I can only recall one vintage of a particular wine where I have bought more than a dozen.
I probably buy full dozens a couple of times a year. If I am buying a dozen of something it is either because I'm getting very good pricing, free shipping, or both.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#149 Post by Howard Cooper » June 6th, 2020, 5:03 am

I think buying a solid case of something is more of a Bordeaux thing than a Burgundy thing, for example, with other regions possibly somewhere in between. If I want to buy 12 bottles of Pichon Lalande, for example, I buy 12 bottles of Pichon Lalande. However, if I want to buy 12 bottles of wine from say Rossignol-Trapet, I have a huge number of wines to choose from. Even if I want to stick with Grand Crus, I could split a purchase between Chambertin, Latricieres Chambertin and Chapelle Chambertin. Maybe through in a few premier crus or even a villages GC. There have been times when I have purchased a case or more of wine from a specific producer (sometimes from a specific vintage, sometimes more mixed), esp. when I have visited them, but very rarely have I purchased a solid case of one wine. For example, I bought around 3 cases of Truchot 2005 Burgundy, but this included 7 different wines.

Buying four cases of one wine in a specific vintage, like Mark did with Vieux Chateau Certan, really seems like a Bordeaux thing. Even asking a question limiting this to a single wine seems like a Bordeaux thing.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by Ethan Abraham » June 6th, 2020, 6:40 am

Good point. Are there any wines not from Bordeaux that are regularly sold in 12 bottle wooden cases? Even non wooden cases I think most higher end burgs and rhones are sold in 6-pack boxes.

Return to “Wine Talk”