TN: Trio of aged Ramonet GCs

Picked these bottles up recently and decided to do a tasting. Happily, none were flawed.

2007 Domaine Ramonet Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (6/2/2020)
Coravin pour right from the cellar. Honeysuckle and vanilla punches through immediately on the nose. Great viscosity and weight. Amazing balance of acidity and minerality and sweetness on the palate. Long, lingering full finish that coats the entire mouth for minutes. This is a white Burg lovers dream right here. With air and warmth, it loses some of the mind blowing depth and becomes a bit one dimensional. Nose is a bit muted, loses viscosity, and picks up a bit of astringency on the finish. Not sure which wine to rate. 96+ at first but reduced to 92-93. (93 pts.)

2006 Domaine Ramonet Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (6/2/2020)
Coravin pour. Tight and muted. Opens up with air to reveal a yellow apple sweetness with a slight minty influence. Round and full mouth feel with a buttercream palate. Very full and lingering finish. Needs air to show, will slow ox for a few hours next time. (92 pts.)

2008 Domaine Ramonet Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (6/2/2020)
Coravin pour. Tight and muted at first. Opens up to reveal some chalky minerality. Pleasant palate with spearmint and a balanced acidity, but an astringency on the sweet, lingering finish is odd. Will try decanting or slow ox for a few hours next time. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

nice brace of Ramonet wines. Thanks.

Which two were you referring to? [pwn.gif]

Not sure for the cost of entry I’d be super stoked about the performance of these 3, please follow up on them when you slow ox or decant, be curious.

Ramonet GCs can be maddening. One bottle magical, the next a bit ordinary - and that’s ignoring premox. When they are on, they are worth it :slight_smile:!

ha—learned something. Thanks.

I agree. Not super stoked, although I was at first with the 2007 BBM. It was truly ethereal for a minute there.

Opened the 2008 Batard tonight. Totally oxidized. Either the Coravin messed it up or that’s why it was strange last time.

Moved on to the 2006 BBM. Definitely showing wonderfully at first, but decanted and it seems to be going downhill. We’ll see how it shows at dinner time, but not very hopeful.

I gave my Coravin away.

Coravin is for an uncommitted consumer!

06 BBM was paltry. Decant did nothing. Lots of nutty, butterscotch and nothing else. Definitely questioning my devotion to the Coravin.

I wouldn’t chance it on delicate or aged wines (or any wines of real prestige or value). The integrity of the corks themselves may be slightly diminished over time and the needle may exacerbate that, or the wine itself may just be too fragile. The argon being pumped into the bottle may disturb it, as well. Having used them in restaurants for many years, it’s not a perfect system and there is a good deal of variance.

it poured too slowly emptying the bottle.

Correct.

Bless you sir.

I may burn my candles at both ends, but ah what a bright light!

Success at last! After last night’s debacle, I was worried about the 07 BBM, so decided to open it tonight. It’s definitely showing more oxidized than it was 2 months ago, but not overly so. Actually is showing the way I hoped it would with a few hours’ slow-ox. It’s showing a bit older than 2007, like a wonderfully mature GC White Burg from the 90s. But still good juice.

A little bit of caramel and toasted nuts on the nose, still has the amazing weight, balanced acidity and fruit layered on a core of minerality. Still has the long, lingering full finish. Balanced is the key word here, everything is in line. I’m keeping the cork in this one and drinking it quickly, but it’s a lovely Ramonet experience.

Damn, with each glass it keeps getting better. Sadly, it’s been a bit since I had a DRC Montrachet, but the balance and precision here and the overall “it factor” reminds me of the 2004 I had a few years ago.

Yeah, anyone want to buy some full bottles of argon gas?