2017 Next of Kyn

Release is coming next week on June 8, but with a slightly different twist than in past years. Instead of a single box with one magnum and 3 750s (which in the last 2 years included one bottle of the Touriga Nacional), the base package now includes 4 750’s of NoK for $1,000. Separately, they will offer a 4 pack of Touriga Nacional, also for $1,000, and a 2 pack of magnums (1 NoK and 1 Touriga) for $1,200.

Suggests an increase in supply, maybe? The prices are difficult to compare with the past, since the mix is different, but it seems modestly higher.

Anyone have any tasting notes or other thoughts?

I think the SQN 2017s are dynamite, so expecting the same from NoK. Price increase is modest as you said. If my math is right it’s about a 6% increase.

I know they’re related, but what’s the difference between SQN and NoK?

Different grape sources (I think the grapes are all, or virtually all, from their Cumulus Vineyard in Oak View), NoK makes a varietal wine from Touriga Nacional, they blend in some TN along with Petite Sirah, barrel aging tends to be 30+ months, I think Syrah tends to be the majority grape, although the percentage can vary quite a bit based on vintage.

That’s just a buyer’s over-simplified answer. Maybe Manfred will come on and explain more :slight_smile:

Happy to share an allocation - PM if interested.

It is an interesting dilemma. On the one hand, you can now get a box of NoK for less than before, though you get less of it (4 750s vs 3 750s and 1 mag). On the other hand, if you want the variety of that you got in last year’s case (2 750s and a mag of NoK and a 750 of Touriga), you have to spend a LOT more, and get three different cases. If you liked the old collection that was under $1,300, that option no longer exists.

I completely understand where they are coming from with respect to growing NoK and giving people the option to purchase more of the specific wines they want. But I really loved the 3-750’s and a mag option.

I just placed my order:4 x the 750s #11 and 4 x the Touriga Nacional - 750s. I skipped the magnums…which I’m sure I’ll regret. With the ‘17 SQNs being so mythic, I am pragmatically having the same expectations for the ‘17 NoKs.

Got my order in for the 4 Touriga pack and the Mag set. Going super fast over half sold through Grab em quick. My order was date stamped 12:16 . Put order in on phone and they said they will be likely gone within 1o min
Wow thats quick !

First time on the list, got all 8 bottles, skipped the mag set.

By the time I logged in (20mins after offer recieved) the mags and Touriga were already sold out. [swoon.gif]

Same here. I was a little surprised; it didn’t seem like there was that much enthusiasm here or on vinous.

Did a 4 pack of both. Wasn’t going to get the Touriga as I didn’t want to spend a ton of money, but then relented. I hope I’m glad I did.

I’ve only had the '15 Touriga, but it was excellent. Hard to compare because I’ve only had maybe 2 other varietal Touriga wines before, but it was delicious, which is my main goal when judging a wine :slight_smile:

edited-

Yeah I haven’t opened the #1 or #2 yet to try, but I love SQN’s style so I’d imagine it will be good. Glad to hear the 15 was good! :slight_smile:

Same for me. I was really interested in the Touriga. I have not tried the 15 yet, but I loved the TT Graciano. I might have ordered that and skipped the regular offering, but the choice was already made for me.

Spaced on this until tonight. Of course the Touriga was gone. A bit annoyed. I got no email announcing the opening of the offer. Anyone else get an email?

I got a heads up email last week, and another one today.

My email arrived at 9:32, by which point the Touriga was already gone.