TN: 1988 Rauzan-Segla & 1995 Clerc Milon

Two quick notes from the past weekend.

1988 Chateau Rauzan-Segla

This was an gorgeous bottle of Bordeaux. Fully mature, but surprisingly fresh with air. This needs time in the decanter - upon opening it was overly green with slightly drying tannins - maybe what you’d expect from a 1988. But with an hour in the decanter, there was a core of bright black and red fruit beneath a lightly perfumed and very savory, complex nose. Tannins fully resolved and refined. Couldn’t have asked for more out of this bottle.

1995 Clerc Milon

Unmistakable left bank profile - black plums, earth and bell pepper - interesting but not too complex. Enough acid to give it lift and the tannins are integrated but present (slightly drying). Wine is just missing a bit of concentration and body. The prototypical lunchtime claret.

I’ve drank a good amount of the '95 Clerc Milon and enjoyed all of them. I finished my last bottles about 1-2 years ago, and I agree with your note and assessment. The 2000 is drinking pretty well now if you have any…

I remember well the 1988 Rausan-Ségla in its youth. Similar to the 1986, the 1988 was a tannic beast, but less complex and concentrated. Nice to see that it has evolved so nicely. Thanks for the note, Lee!

Will have to try a 2000. I’ve just started opening the 2000s. And I didn’t mean my lunchtime claret comment to be disparaging (as some do) - this is an enjoyable wine - as a prototypical lunchtime claret is exactly what I want with a backyard grilled chicken lunch on a nice day.

I can’t recall having the '88 but it’s hard to find a bad Rauzan Segla in the 80s. The 82/83/85/86/89 all rocked.

I recently, 2 weeks ago, had the 2000 Clerc Milon. It was in a very good stage.

+1

Thanks for the notes, Lee. I have a couple more bottles of ‘95 Clerc Milon, so maybe I’ll pull one soon.

Was waiting to pull out my last 1995 Clerc from Magnum for our 25th Anniversary next month. We were going to Vegas but will probably switch to Walla Walla instead.