TN: 2001 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Estournelles-St.-Jacques

• 2001 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Estournelles-St.-Jacques - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (6/1/2020)
    I said three years ago that I would be queuing up my remaining bottles of this wine for near-term drinking. Then plans met reality. Still four more to go after this one, but hopefully similar results. Evolving red fruit and vibrant earth aromas lead into a vibrant palate expression that carries the earthiness through the finish. It’s fabulously clean, while also showing a more rustic side of Gevrey than some of the more famous sites. It’s hard to reconcile the bit of wildness with the nuance of the flavors. I guess that’s just Burgundy - ever a mystery. Not the be all and end all of Burgundy expression, but if I wanted to introduce someone to the joys of aged Burgs, this would not be a bad wine at all to make my case.

Posted from CellarTracker

I’ve been leaving mine alone intending to wait a little longer, as I only have one or two left, and last time I had it I felt it was still on the young side of middle age. the rustic or wild thing–hard to know if it’s the same thing, but I thought it was just 2001–a little herbal or vegetal note that in my mind adds rather than detracts. the reason I often, or at least sometimes, prefer the 2001 over the 2002 of the same wine.