TN: Bernard Moreau La Maltroie 2009–Moreau less just great

why didn’t I know this producer earlier? Found these bottles recently but only have some recent vintages since I’m new to Moreau. This wine punches well above its weight. Beautiful floral and citrus bouquet, but the mouthfeel is amazing, like liquid mercury, thick and dense while lithe and graceful. The flavors are superb, orchard fruit, lemon zest. The balance and length are impressive. Moreau less just great wine.

sounds delicious. I am glad to have a number of Moreau whites and reds in my cellar, though like you most of my bottles are on the younger side.

Thanks Alan.

Appreciate the heads up Alan. I’m looking into this producer now.

dude. at the 2011 tasting the chevalier monty was the WOTN! Fred and I have been buying ever since

now you tell me.

Love it. I just picked up some 2017 Chev.

fair warning - i’ve experienced an advanced btl of the chevalier from them from this decade

bad one to have missed =(

The impressive part is how well they do in this vintage. The 11 Chev was my number 1 wine at the tasting but the 13 Chassagne-Montrachet is what made me a believer. Good from the bottom up and in tough vintages. Almost like a cross between Ramonet and PYCM. Fine balance but plenty of power and length.

For me, with the usual caveat that “comparisons are odious”, a PYCM - Lamy hybrid would be a better analogy: I don’t think the Moreau wines have as much flesh and texture out of the gates as contemporary Ramonet. That said, Moreau’s winemaking seems to have really dialed in to where it is today around 06/07/08; whereas Lamy and Pierre-Yves Colin have both evolved quite a bit over the last decade, within the parameters of their favored aesthetics, so perhaps we should be making the comparison in the other direction. John Gilman sometimes compares the Moreau wines today to Ramonet in the old days, and while I am too young to have tasted those wines on release, it makes some kind of sense in terms of their acid structure. Moreau, however, do achieve that sort of wheat toast / subtle praline patina (often conflated with “reduction”), combined with citrusy fruit tones, that seems to be related to a number of harvest/winemaking choices including long élevage in a particular sort of barrel; and when pouring the wines blind to friends I have seen people identify them as Coche, I think for that reason.