2012 Christopher Tynan St. Helena Reserve

Does anyone have the release notes from this spring’s library release? I can’t find my original email.

Thanks,
Steve

The 2012 St. Helena Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon has been our go-to wine of the quarantine. It’s just drinking so lovely, that I had the bright idea to do the library release a bit early. Whether it’s a takeout meal we bought in solidarity with a suffering local restaurant or a joyous solitary feast we’ve prepared at home, it has been a brilliant excuse to open up great wines. This is a beautiful, age-worthy addition to your cellar and it’s still brimming with the blossom of youthful exuberance.

It has an opaque inky black center with dark and deep ruby edges. A concentrated and layered perfume of cassis, smoked cardamom, black licorice, black fig, old cabinet, and chocolate ganache leap from the glass. The Petit Verdot lends crushed black pepper and incense aromas. This young wine is loaded with gobs of silky supportive tannin that build on the entry and carry all the way through to fleshy and gorgeous finish.

This wine is a “one-off” of sorts. Unfortunately, the vineyard was replanted soon after 2012, so I was only able to make one vintage. It’s composed from a steep hillside block just 200 ft below the Meleagris Vineyard. Planted to Clone 6 and named Chiquito by its then owner and farmer, Cornelius Corbett, this steep east facing hillside is planted on deep rocky Aiken loam. The well-drained soils provide a perfect spot for growing Cabernet. A bit of Petit Verdot from the Stagecoach vineyard was co-fermented with the Cabernet to add a touch of richness and complexity. The Stagecoach Vineyard is across the valley atop the red clay and volcanic soils near Pritchard Hill. Together, the two varietals provide a synergistic layered darkness that is both brooding and inviting.

95% Cabernet Sauvignon
5% Petit Verdot
pH 3.85
Alcohol 14.4%
TA 5.2 g/L
124 Cases Produced
Unfined – Unfiltered

Here’s what Robert Parker had to say about it years ago. His tasting note was damn near spot on to what we’ve enjoyed this past few weeks.

“Certainly the inky, ruby/purple color of the 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon St. Helena Reserve is impressive, as is the texture, richness and overall quality. This is a rich, full-bodied, rather classic St. Helena Cabernet Sauvignon with oodles of crème de cassis fruit, beautiful purity, nicely integrated oak and tannin, and a long, layered, rich finish. This is a big wine, accessible now, but capable of evolving for another two decades.”

• Robert Parker
1 Like

Awesome…thanks, Ryan.

Steve

(thread bump!)
Thank you Ryan for posting the info. I was able to get 3 of these for more or less what I assume release price was (CT says $115 community avg* I got them for $125). I was looking for more info on the wine & where the fruit came from. I knew about MGV & Judge (I’ve had some of the Velours which is a mix of the two) but figured something else had to come into play with the “Reserve” wine to not have a vineyard listed.

What would you say the drink years for 3 Reserves would be? I have 2016 Meleagris & Syrahs I am in no hurry to open.

*I’ve found that most allocated/rare wines usually have a community average that reflects their list/release price compared to the secondary/retail market. But I could be wrong.

J- you must have grabbed these from K&L? I was very tempted :slight_smile:

I recently opened this wine without a decant and it was a mistake. The wine needs a heavy decant or another couple of years in the cellar for it to all come together. I have recently become much more familiar with Tynan wines and I would put this one in a more Bordeaux like character than some of his others - although the others still have a lean in that direction.

From release notes:

This wine is a “one-off” of sorts. Unfortunately, the vineyard was replanted soon after 2012, so I was only able to make one vintage. It’s composed from a steep hillside block just 200 ft below the Meleagris Vineyard. Planted to Clone 6 and named Chiquito by its then owner and farmer, Cornelius Corbett, this steep east facing hillside is planted on deep rocky Aiken loam. The well-drained soils provide a perfect spot for growing Cabernet. A bit of Petit Verdot from the Stagecoach vineyard was co-fermented with the Cabernet to add a touch of richness and complexity. The Stagecoach Vineyard is across the valley atop the red clay and volcanic soils near Pritchard Hill. Together, the two varietals provide a synergistic layered darkness that is both brooding and inviting.

95% Cabernet Sauvignon
5% Petit Verdot
pH 3.85
Alcohol 14.4%
TA 5.2 g/L
124 Cases Produced
Unfined – Unfiltered

1 Like

Ha- yes! I had put in the opening bid thinking “hmm let’s see” then I got side tracked, forgot and went to look assuming I was going to be outbid by $10.

I want to say they had been up a few weeks ago at a higher price and I thought - eh I don’t need that much of a single cab. But maybe it was another vintage or just 2 bottle lot.