TN: 1999 Du Tertre, Margaux

Last night: The intense fragrance of dark fruits, exotic spices, and spring flowers is stunning. On the palate, expansive, ripe berry fruit, especially blueberries, cinnamon, leather, earth, truffle, minerals, dried herbs, and tobacco notes. Lovely balance, long lasting, spicy finish. This is a lavish, super-delicious, perfectly matured Margaux, capable of lasting for another decade. 13% alcohol.

1999-Du-Tertre.jpg

Thanks for the note, Rudi. I’ve never tried the 1999 but do think the vintage is underrated (often well-priced). I am surprised by your long drinking window. We went through a half case of the 1996 du Tertre which we quite enjoyed, but the last bottle (a couple of years ago) was beginning to crack up.
Regards,
Peter

I too think that 1999 is indeed a rather underrated vintage with regard to quality and strorage life, Peter. All 1999s I’ve drank in recent times –Du Tertre, Malescot, Kirwan, Rauzan-Gassies, D’Issan, Palmer, Lynch-Bages, Beau-Séjour Bécot, Moulin Haut-Laroque, D’Aiguilhe, and Fontenil, to name e few- , have gained complexity and intensity over the last decade. These wines are absolutely delicious now, and have a longer drinking window than I initially thought.
In 1998, Du Tertre was sold to the owner of Château Giscours Eric Albada Jelgersma, which led to a change in style for this estate –from a lighter to a more modern and opulent style.

Thanks for the lovely note, Rudi,
I’ve got some of the 2000 and 01; I hope they show as well as yours–thanks to, or despite the change of style, which would presumably include your bottle?

I think so, Joshua. I cannot remember ever having had the 2000, but the lovely 2001 is at least as good as the 1999. And both are not too modern to my taste.

I can say that the 2000 Du Tertre is in a lovely place right now, showing the classic Margaux berry profile but with backbone and maybe needing a slight decant. It will last too. A steal on release at $28, I think it’s worth at least double that now. Neal Martin gave it 92 pts in 2010 and a drinking range of 2015-2030. [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note Rudi, and agree on 1999.