TN: 2018 Domaine Christian Moreau Chablis Les Clos

This is not about eye squinting acidity, or is it a fat lazy Chardy pretending to be Chablis, this is a middle ground. Lovely ripe fruit, trimmed by oyster shells and sea spray. What draws you in is the exquisite balance and resonating palate. The acidity is there but there’s no hard edges and the fruit is just ripe and fresh. Completely delicious, drinking well now really. No real need to sit on these for a long time for my palate.

To me, this is always a star of the vintage. I love Christian Moreau’s wines. Thanks.

when I see 18 Chablis for sale, I reach back and buy more 17. But thanks for the note.

I love the wines, but I’ve had some problems aging them. BTW, did this have a regular cork, or a diam? (Also, I would second Alan’s comment. Before covid cut off visits to my wine shop, whenever I would taste the newly arriving 18’s, I would then ask “is there any of the 2017 left?”.)

1 Like

I like the description of the wine being in between those extremes, though was somewhat disappointed with the 14’ had last year, which was more on the lazy side.

I too like this idealized Goldilocks vision of Chablis … Poised between indolence and nervosité

For some reason I’m thinking of Homer Simpson and Ally McBeal being the goalposts! [cheers.gif]

Yes I do believe it was a Diam.
This is every bit as good as any '17 that I have tried, perhaps without the same tension.
'14 Vaillons was off te charts good. Last time I had it which was late last year it was still as fresh as a a trout.
Matthew, I love your analogy.

When lining up for goal, are you aiming for the McBeal post Kent?

ROFLMAO…absolutely!

brought me a smile too. For a long time, by far for me the best value for money in Les Clos and darned good wine. Haven’t tried the recent vintages—not sure if they stopped coming in here…

This. I had the 2018 les Clos at the Paulee and was not a big fan. I love the wines from Christian Moreau, but I will be skipping 2018s unless and until I taste another one that is more to the style of wine I like.

Cracked a 2017 Patrick Puize Blanchots last night - not nearly as satisfying as the 18 Moreau - was a little diffuse in comparison.