TN: 2013 Bernhard Ott Grüner Veltliner Qvevre (Austria, Niederösterreich, Wagram)

• 2013 Bernhard Ott Grüner Veltliner Qvevre - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wagram (5/12/2020)
    Fresh peas, asparagus, bitter herbs, and oyster shell- briny notes on the nose. On the palate it is simultaneously rich with great dry extract, yet with a crystalline level of precision. It is stony, savory, steely, salty and in a supportive role veg more than fruit on the palate. Stony and savory notes, with peas, bitter herbs, root vegetable, and fresh cut hay on the palate that is simultaneously laser sharp yet broad, all with terrific balance. There is a great juxtaposition of power and depth delivered with an incredible sense of harmony and freshness. Finishes with some white pepper notes on top of all the other “fantastic-ness”. It’s impossibly long yet equally mouthwateringly fresh on the back end. One of the most interesting, eclectic, and flat out delicious wines I have had in a while. Drinking at peak and I can only imagine it will last for quite some time. Brilliant. Invigorating to the senses and the intellect. Fascinating. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

That’s a rare note; thanks.

A visit to the Ott domaine and Feuersbrunn vineyards was a highlight of my 2018 visit to the region.

Their qvevri setup is something to see. A half dozen or so large vessels in a modern indoor rock garden. It looked like the arrangement you might fight in the entry of a high end LA sushi restaurant. It’s clearly a project that they hold in high regard in the midst of what is an otherwise quite traditional Austrian setup.

I had a taste but was so enamored with the lineup of 2017 gv’s that I didn’t spend much time with it.

Loved the 2011 Ott Qvevre shared by a friend about 18 months ago. Beautiful wine and a visit to the region is still a bucket list item. Thank you Todd for sharing the note on the 2013 and thanks T for sharing the 2011!
2011 Ott (2).jpg