2018 Kloof Street Old Vine Chenin Blanc

OK, Kloof Street sounds like a kid’s TV show, or a place patrolled by the Keystone Cops. As a wine, it’s pretty good.

Good young Chenin color, light gold. The aromas are ripe and fruity for old vine Chenin, notes of pear, a touch of honeydew and a tiny hint of coriander seed. The palate is dry but a little soft. The flavors follow the aromas, with a little addition of lemon flavor, but not enough acidity to bring up what is a surprisingly soft version of dry Chenin Blanc. A good wine, but not what I was expecting. Rated 86.5. Drink now; unlike most dry Chenins, I don’t think this will improve with age.

Dan Kravitz

Not often one sees a Kloof St note. I have access to the red which I usually cellar a few yrs.

Kloof street was one of my old haunts when I lived in Cape Town in the 1990s. The first home of Melissas and later Cafe Vida. I don’t think the wine was available back then!

Had the red last night. Very good and a good value.

OK, this came from my distributor in Maine, I will look for a red and hope for the best. They are not expensive.

Thanks.

Dan Kravitz

Kloof Street is the value label from Mullineux. I haven’t had anything from this range but the standard Mullineux wines are first-rate and not that much more.