TN: 2014 Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons

This wine is singing a bit for me tonight. I know Droin doesn’t have the best track record, but I’ve had a good run with sound bottles for a while now.
Hope you all are well. Thanks for checking in. [cheers.gif]

• 2014 Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (5/28/2020)
    This stuff is still terrific, and even fleshier than my bottle two years ago. It just reads Chablis out of the gate. Green apple and a salty air breeze note. Fleshes out to show some mid-palate sweetness that is surrounded by a mouth puckering salinity that lingers. It’s not terribly complex, it’s rather upfront juicy and edgy. Terrific liveliness/freshness that 14s seem to have.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks, Dennis. I had a '13 Montmains back in March that was really nice, if still a little young. I think Droin went through a stretch where they used more new wood, but they seem to have backed off in the last decade.

Thanks, Marshall. This shows little new wood, for sure. Pure and steely, almost too much edge. Shows a little progress since last year, but I’m inclined to see what more times does.

I was really impressed by this wine, but forgot about it until I picked up a ‘17 Montmain and Montee de Tonnerre. They were excellent, and then I ordered some more! Droin is really delivering on classic Chablis.

Thanks for the note Dennis. I had originally posted how much I loved this ‘14, and that I’d gone through several bottles each of this and the Montmains. I quickly realized I’d had a bunch of the ‘12s; not ‘14’s. I did drink a bunch of their villages Chablis ‘14 and it was great. I think Droin kills it in leaner vintages. It has that fleshy style you mentioned but still screams Chablis. These are wines I always buy when I see the right deal. I should grab some ‘17’s while I can since ‘18 and ‘19 are riper vintages, and totally not my style.

I quit Droin after some fabulous 96 bottles premoxed, all but Vaudesir. A buddy lured me back last year with some recent bottlings.

Droin’s 18s are special. Specifically Vaillons, Valmur & Les Clos.

Very nice Dennis. This sounds delicious.

Totally agree. Relative values, too, which is nice.

Thanks, Michael. I have pretty blew through the 14s are they have been so upfront tasty out of the gate. Have a couple 17s that I’ve not tried yet.

Thanks, Don. Hope you are well and we are sharing a glass or two sooner than later. [cheers.gif]

I’m note surprised in the least At your enthusiasm here Dennis, the 14 Droin’s I’ve had have all been terrific. Especially the Vaulorent and a very potential ridden Valmur.

Actually, is there such thing as a bad 14 Chablis at any level? I think not. :slight_smile:

Agreed! [cheers.gif]