Old School Winemakers: Iodine in CA 'suspicious substance' now.

FYI, for those of you doing old school iodine titrations for SO2, most companies that supply lab chemicals no longer handle Iodine of a certain concentration due to the regulatory burden the state of CA has imposed. Ask your current supplier. I found out in late March when proactively ordering some 0.1N iodine well before I ran out.

Spectrum Chemical 800-813-1514 will still deal with the burden. Everyone else I spoke with over many weeks decided to no longer carry iodine solution. Lots of info. will be taken, proof of identity and business entity, etc. are needed to initiate a 21 day waiting period.

Evidently, iodine is one of the things used to convert sudafed into meth.

F

First, toilet paper. Now, this.

iodine, red phosphorous, and sudafed is all it takes.

https://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs1/1467/1467t.htm

The principal chemicals are ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, iodine, and red phosphorus. The required hydriodic acid in this variation of the hydriodic acid/red phosphorus method is produced by the reaction of iodine in water with red phosphorus. This method yields high quality d-methamphetamine. Another iodine/red phosphorus method, limited to small production batches, is called the cold cook method because the chemicals, instead of being heated, are placed in a hot environment such as in direct sunlight.

Because hydriodic acid is difficult to purchase, they’ve got to make their own utilizing iodine.

Fred,

I’ve got some old sudafed…