2010 Beronia Rioja Gran Reserva

I’ve always considered this Bodega reliable, 2nd tier at best. I’ve had Crianzas and Reservas, never a Joven or Gran Reserva. Figured I’d give this a try, apparently an excellent Rioja vintage, not a crazy price.

Big Winner! This is dark for a 10 year old Gran Reserva, with its minimum of two years in barrel. The aromas are younger than 10 years, very young for a Gran Reserva, with black plums, black pepper and some spicy notes. There is also something mountainous but not green in the nose. The palate is young and firm, fresh, with savory vigor, but enough secondary notes to let you know there’s age. I would have guessed 5 – 7 years, not 10. There is none of that aged American oak vanillin that makes many Gran Reservas love/hate wines. The balance is excellent, the fruit is ripe, all black, with firm tannins but some tenderness as well. This is excellent. I have no experience, so can’t predict if this will improve, but I would not be surprised. A singleton, but current release and I’m going back for half a case, which is a big commitment for me. Retail in the low $30s, fine value. Rated 92.5. This could improve a point or two, but I’m far from sure. I’ll crack another towards the end of the year and ponder it from there.

Dan Kravitz

Hi Dan,

Nice note. I really like rioja and this sounds like a good wine to try. Saratoga wine exchange has decent pricing. Thanks again.

Lonnie

I just picked up the 2009 at Costco in Dallas for $22.99 and, while likely not as good as the 2010 (or at least the vintage wasn’t nearly as good), it’s also a winner, primarily because the wine is aged entirely in French oak rather than the American oak more typically used in Rioja, so there’s no dill, vanilla or coconut. In addition, the fruit is a bit richer and chewier than most traditional Rioja (and for that alone, I would have assumed this producer is a bit on the more modern style of things, but it could just be a matter of altitude/micro-climate). In any even, it’s quite a nice wine and I’ll likely pick up several more while looking out for better vintages of the same wine.

I have a few in the cellar and had them buried deep for a long slumber but based on your note, I might open one in the near future. I bought on a whim (40 CAD here), had never tried it before and didn’t even try one on purchase since I normally like my Rioja GR with quite a few years on them. I didn’t even know the wood was French on this one. Only a few notes on CT for this one so your note is very welcome. Thanks and cheers!

Cool note. I have some on the way now.

Thanks Dan. I’ve never had their GR, but it sounds like time to pick some up. I’ve always enjoyed their reserva as a solid <$20 version of classically made Rioja.

I have also found these deliver good wines for solid value.

One note, they use French oak on this. I do not know how much is new if any.

Thanks for the note and reminder of this producer. It’s been a long time since I’ve had their wines and I’m not sure why? Maybe because I found them while living in London many years ago and they are not widely available in the USA. Will have to seek them out. I do remember them being solid wines and good value.