TN: 2015 Josef Walter Hundsrück Spätburgunder "J" (Germany, Franken)

Distinct and shifting aromatics of tilled soil, freshly butchered meat, raw leather, violets, and savory herbs jump out from the glass. While there is only subtle fruit on the nose, tart cherries and underripe raspberries are more noticeable on the palate with more time in the glass, intermingled with sous bois, leather, and baking spices. The supple, delicate tannic structure and vibrant acidity are already nicely integrated, and with more time in the glass the wine becomes more rounded and harmonious.

I’ve had the 2013 vintage of Josef Walter’s Hundsruck “J” before as well. The 2015 I find to be less brooding, with more finesse and elegance, and overall a BIG step up in terms of complexity. This wine will certainly go the distance with some time sideways in the cellar, but worth trying one now if you have a few bottles. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note, thanks! Looking forward to cracking one of mine in a few years - sounds right in my wheelhouse.

[cheers.gif]

Heh. I had this on Sunday, Brian. I had more impression of tannin (far from harsh but not exactly delicate either – bordering on stern, but not quite there) and less of leather, but otherwise much as you note. Really very nice and happy to have more.

When I received the bottles last month I kept the one I opened stored at home out in 68-72F temp, so maybe not exactly perfect cellar conditions. My others went stayed offsite. The tannins had some grip, especially with more time in the glass, but I still found them to be delicate and well integrated.

Had another glass of this wine tonight. The fragrant, savory nose is still there. Interestingly I do think the tannic structure is more pronounced than it initially was when first opening the bottle.

When I had mine, I did a quick taste, then a decant of about 2 hours before dinner. May have made a difference.

That may be it. I didn’t decant.

Any idea what the difference between ‘J’ and Josef Walter Spätburgunder Centgrafenberg Hündsruck is? I have four of the 2015 Josef Walter Hundsrück Spätburgunder “J” pending and am not sure if it is the same wine?

I assume you saw the same Fass offer. I’d ask him, but I assume they are the same.

Yeah, email sent. I have the 12, 14, and 15 of the J. I’d imagine this will go the same way as Rudolf Fürst.

It looks like “J” is a designation he uses for several wines in his “Lagenweine” series. The only Hundsrück bottling he lists is the Hundsrück “J”, but there is also a Spätburgunder Centgrafenberg “J” and a Früburgunder Centgrafenberg “J”.

https://weingut-josef-walter.de/index.php/unsere-weine/lagenweine

I’m not Lyle, but I’m quite confident today’s offer is a repeat offer for the 2015 Hundsrück “J”. Look at the label in the photo in the offer and you can just see the first quotation mark where the “J” was cut off in the pic.

Thanks

Have you tried them yet? I have, and have tried, the 2013 and 2015s. They are incredible wines for the money, and that’s taking the Fass hype out of the equation [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Not the Hundsruck yet, but some of their lower wines. Same with Furst. The 2012 base was enough to know these are built for the long haul. I’m sitting on about two cases and have some 06 and ‘07s coming!

I’ve been drinking wine pretty seriously for 50+ years and the Josef Walter Hundsruck"J" are the best value Pinot noirs I have had.

I’ve never had these, but based on what I’m reading here, and the fact that 2016 was (I think) hotter than 2015 in Germany, I’m guessing you all think that the offer Fass just sent out is a no-brainer?

2016 Josef Walter Spätburgunder Centgrafenberg Hündsruck “J” - $61.99 ($239.96 4-Pack)

Sounds like a Syrah/Pinot hybrid based on your notes hehe.

Sounds very interesting though… any oak notes? How does it compare to the wines of Wasenhaus if you ever tasted them?

Yeah I tend to mostly buy his rieslings but I’m tempted by this one…

Found a danish importer when this thread was started and finally got around to taste it.

The note is spot on and this is a very good wine!

2 Likes